Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compulsive Insult Disorder?

Options
  • 15-07-2009 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if there was an official name for somebody that constantly insults people?

I work with a guy who has flaws, and he openly jokes about his own flaws, but then he thinks this gives him the right to constantly highlight other peoples flaws and insult them in front of other work colleagues.

If someone is fat he calls them "fatty" and comments on their eating habits. If someone is bald he calls then "baldy" and rubs there head. If someone has glasses he calls them "four eyes" and mocks there vision.

He says these things every single day to the same people and nobody is safe from his insults. People have got used to it but I remember when I started here he slagged me non stop about my eczema calling me "sandpaper boy" and stuff like that. I just find it really odd and I was wondering if there is a medical name for this or was he just born and complete idiot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Tourettes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I would say idiot coupled with low self esteem. The only known cure is treating him like the w*nker he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Na it's not tourettes as he doesn't just blurt random stuff out, he casually insults people in a very calculated and well timed fashion. It's useally when he has an audience or when ever he wants attention but he also does it when he is passing the person in the corridor.

I'd say topper75 got it spot on. I find it really odd because it's not a once a week sort of thing, it happens atleast half a dozen times a day, every single day and he doesn't seem to get bored with it so I was thinking it could be some kind of condition.

For example, as I was typing the original post he commented on my slight beer belly saying something like "Oh, you'd better get yourself to the gym with that belly fattie". The thing is his belly is twice as big as mine so I was like "yeah yeah what ever tubs". Freak!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Doesn't sound like a disability or condition to me. It sounds like bullying behavour, possibly to seek attention. It may well be a case of immaturity or poor social skills. What's the bets that he lives with his Mammy, and goes drinking with a crowd of immature single blokes at the weekend?

Like all bullying behaviours, it needs to be confronted (and not by coming down to his level and calling him 'tubs'). A clear and direct response of 'you can't speak to me like that, this is bullying behaviour, don't do it again' is best. This probably won't change the behavour, but then the next time it happens, you take it to HR or his line manager as a bullying matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

This guy should have been taken aside a long time ago and warned that this behaviour is not acceptable. It's not going to be easy to sort him out now, especially if it's a small company as they don't have procedures for this kind of bullying. You need to take the issue in hand, with some like minded colleagues, approach the general manager and spell out the issue, take notes at the meeting. If nothing is done at least your conscience is clear and if someone later takes a bullying case against this guy at least you have your notes etc. good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement