Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seth & Sagat - Too strong says Capcom

• 15-07-2009 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Ryota Niitsuma, assistant producer on the arcade version of the game, told Videogamer that the two fighters are a little too powerful. When asked if any SFIV characters were disproportionately powerful, he replied, "Well first of all I might have to apologise! Does he involve being slightly blinded and scarred [laughs]?"

While he admitted that "Yes, Seth and perhaps Sagat might have turned out a little bit stronger than we expected," Niitsuma said that skilled players of other World Warriors can still beat Sagat or Seth players. And yes, we know that the image doesn't have anything to do with Sagat or Seth, but we wanted to link to Capcom's recent gallery of SFIV wallpapers, and it doesn't feature any images of those two characters.

Taken from here. Maybe they'll release an update to counter this given that all 3 platforms have online capabilities to download it unlike years ago when there was none.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

I still don't fully understand this quote... sure sagat is more powerful than the other characters, but seth? really??? what are you thinking capcom? sure boss seth is insanely strong but seeing as he's unplayable there isn't a problem... at least not until some bright spark unlocks him on the computer version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Ehm...Seth's playable on all 3 home formats.

Yes, but he's not the same seth that you fight in arcade mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ye he is, hes the exact same wanker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

bush wrote: »

Haven't played it yet. Has he achieved ba$tard status? Bison in Alpha 2 achieved that. So hard to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Wow he looks like Goro. Teleports aswell.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

He's powerful, but he does have the lowest amount of hitpoints out of anyone and his moveset is powered down I think. I rarely play any online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

No, it's not the same. I main Seth ;)

AI Seth has normal (read: Sagat-like HP). Player Seth has the lowest HP in the game. Which balances him quite significantly for versus.

And I think the quote is very misleading. They might be slightly too powerful but are quite beatable, so which is it?

Ivan wrote: »
    I main Seth ;)

Wanker :D

He has less HP and his attacks are weaker...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah A.I Seth has more health and does more damage than player controlled Seth.

Its hard to know if Seth is OP yet. Justin Wong reckons he is the strongest character in the game. I'd actually would not take to much notice of what Capcom said. I found when it comes to balancing games developers are not as skilled at playing the game as the community so are not as well clued in as pro players, because they just don't have or don't want to put in the same time playing the game.

Seth has a number of weaknesses.
    He has the lowest health.
    Is moves are very weak in terms of damage.
    He gets dizzy the quickest.
    His walk speed is the slowest in the game.
    His Ultra does bugger all damage.
    Most of his moves have terrible recovery times. Anything that whiffs bar Sonic Booms leave hims very exposed.

But from a moveset viewpoint he has an answer for everything that you can throw at him.
    When he gets Ultra he shuts down all other characters fireball game.
    He probably has the most lob sided match up in his favour when he faces Zangief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I don't see a problem with Seth he's not nearly as strong as Bison for example.
    Just too may head presses.

Bisons headpress is good but very overated. Its super easy to counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Azza wrote: »
    Bisons headpress is good but very overated. Its super easy to counter.
    Do tell more... :D

Walk in any direction. May need to dash if you Sim, Seth or Gief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I don't see Seth as being overpowered. He is great though.

Sagat goes without saying.

You mustnt have played any decent seths. It doesnt matter how low his health is if you cant hit him. Its the most frustrating match ever, deffo overpowered.

I've played a few and lost, but I think they could've beaten me playing a lot of other characters too. I play Zangief so it's probably the most frustrating matchup in the game - I have other frustrating matchups too where I don't consider the character overpowered.

I consider Seth top tier, but it's a leap between that and overpowered or broken - then again I'm not a great player, and time will tell, I guess. I'm more in favour of the HD Remix strategy of buffing underpowered characters rather than nerfing top tier characters.

Bush thinks everyone bar Blanka is OP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Seth is a good matchup for sim, imo.

when he starts flying at you from wall dives, back HK stuffs him right up. When he sonic booms, IAT behind him or slide under them and punish.

The only tricky bit i find is those damned teleport throws he does.

Still, he has such low health that i usually just blast em. I think ive only ever lost to seth once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

People who pick sim players btw, wouldnt it be a better choice to go with seth instead? He has sims zoning + all that other stuff.

I've never actually played as seth though, I never bothered my hole unlocking the guy lol.

I will when I get the PC version probably.

he has much lower health. and his super and ultra arent as good. Sims ultra only does 300 damage....which is pitiful, but you can mix it up so well that its versatility makes up for it.

Plus, his zoning isnt as good imo. Sim has a move for nearly everything. Its all about being good enough to know what to use.

Seths zoning isn't as good as Sims. His stretch punch has a much longer recovery time than Sims and his jumping stretch punch doesn't have as good as range as Sims and can't be use the stretch punch when jumping foward.

Sim has other fast stretch poke normalss that he can mix up to prevent him being focus attack rushed, something Seth isn't as good at.

Both have good teleport but Sim has air teleport.

Sim has got really good anti airs in back + HK and back +MP, beat out almost all all normal jump in and some specials. He lacks a reversal on wakeup, but teleport and slide can get him out of trouble at times.

Seth has got a Shoryuken for jump ins on wake up.
    He also has an easier time escaping corner thanks to wall jump.
    He also can apply more pressure when he knocks an opponent down than Sim can outside of Ultra. He has decent cross ups and good combos.
    I can imagine his ex.Hyakuretsukyaku (spin kick) can punish Sim for over using his pokes as keep aways much like Bisons ex.Scissors Kick as both moves have several invunrability frames.
    I'd imagine Seths Tandem Engine could cause no end of bother for Sim on his way down from a jump.

Seths Ultra shuts downs any opponents fireball game and its a really good whiff punisher. His super does quite reasonable damage but its tricky enough to setup.
    Sims on the other hand isn't as easy to land but its still very versatile and normall quite safe, his super has a decent combo set up as well.

I'd imagine overall its a very close match up.

Bush thinks everyone bar Blanka is OP :D

Ye especially sakura

Walk in any direction. May need to dash if you Sim, Seth or Gief.

Dont forget Sagat. His walk speed is real slow. Its probably his only weakness. Ofcourse, he can just tiger knee accross the map so as weaknesses go, its kind of a pathetic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

They were talking about arcade mode.

Seth is not overpowered.
    Sagat needs a damage reduction and armour breaking off tiger knee (leave it on EX) and he is significantly nerfed while still being a very strong character.

They were talking about arcade mode.

How would this quote make any sense if they were talking about arcade mode?
    Niitsuma said that skilled players of other World Warriors can still beat Sagat or Seth players

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Well the place where i read this only quoted buts and pieces so I never saw that bit.

****ty blogs eh?

But I still think they are talking about Arcade Seth...

Advertisement