Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever had a phantom pregnancy or could I be pregnant?

• 15-07-2009 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭

Hi,

my dad is saying that I could be having a phantom pregnancy - has anyone ever experienced this?

The thing is my cycle is normally 28 days but varies from 25-30 - it is now day 31 but I had an early miscarriage/chemical pregnancy last month and I was also on a 2.5 week holiday in Portugal for the first two weeks of my cycle. I am experiencing nausea (extreme for the past two days), chest tenderness, moodiness, extreme fatigue to name a few but have had negative pregnancy tests. I dont know and it is very tough on my husband and I. Did anyone have a late positive pregnancy tests.

I should state that I am getting medical attention next Monday if I am still not having a positive pregnancy test and have no period but it is just to calm me in the interim (have been in contact with them already).

Edit: I am not looking for medical advice, I would just like to know if anyone has had a positive pregnancy test after being late. Sorry, I am stressed out about this so am not thinking straight.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No experience of a phantom, but doesnt that cause a positive test result?

If youve had a miscarriage then your cycle could be screwed up, and a delayed period I know from experience can cause your symptoms.

But this is close to medical advice, so Id say hang on till you get a chance to discuss it with a doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Oryx wrote: »
    No experience of a phantom, but doesnt that cause a positive test result?

If youve had a miscarriage then your cycle could be screwed up, and a delayed period I know from experience can cause your symtoms.

But this is close to medical advice, so Id say hang on till you get a chance to discuss it with a doctor.
    Yep, I know, I have been onto the woman who has been my midwife for another pregnancy that ended in a miscarriage - I just wonder has anyone ever been a few days late in getting a positive test result. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I had 7 negatives before I got a positive. I had a very irregular cycle though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I experienced about 3 "phantom pregnancies" after my mc. The first month the symptoms came back, though we hadn't had sex so I pretty much knew it was my body playing tricks on me. That didn't stop me from going online and looking all over for stories of women who had somehow remained pregnant after a mc. Maybe she'd been carrying twins and lost one but weeks later turned out to be pregnant. The symptoms were pretty strong so I really felt like my head was being messed with.

On the run up to my second period after my mc I had full on pregnancy symptoms for about two weeks. Incredibly sore breasts, nausea - including occasional vomiting -, the same stretching feeling across my stomach I'd had when pregnant and my period was bout 2 weeks late. I was absolutely convinced I was pregnant (even though we'd missed the best time to get pregnant due to an inconvenient visit by my in-laws). I took a lots of tests but they were all negative and at the same time I just felt more and more pregnant.

Then one day after about 15 days my symptoms disappeared and a day later my period came. It was just the exact same as my pregnancy, if I hadn't taken so many negative tests I'd have been convinced I'd mc'd again. The third month it happened again although I was expecting it that time and we hadn't had tried get pregnant as I couldn't deal with the headwreck of the false symptoms.

That said when I was pregnant I had 2 negatives in the week before I got a positive. And when someone on another board asked the same question they were told by most people it was probably hormones and it turned out to be a pregnancy, which is due next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Thanks for that information - well, I got my answer, my period just arrived...the funny thing is that I got a slightly positive test this morning...ah well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Best of luck next week Iguana. Hope your little bundle arrives safely.

Advertisement