Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav options

Options
  • 15-07-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi,

I will be renting a car in Italy for two weeks at the end of the summer. The rental company was looking for €160 for rental of the sat nav device. I was thinking it might be cheaper to buy one. Outside the holiday I probably wont be using it much there I am not going to buy an expensive one.

I see dabs.ie have a Garmin Nuvi 255 (Europe) for €136 including postage. Would this be suitable for my needs (Basic sat nav in car)?

Any other suggestions/deals would be appreciate.

Seán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That'd do grand. The only thing I would say is that the standard Garmin windscreen mount is quite poor. Garmin do a much better 'bean-bag' mount, but it's around €30 from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stwome01

I been looking through some of the other posts and I think I might have to look as where. From the Got a SatNav? - Have a Question or Complaint? - Stop and Read this First! post.
    There also may be antiglare treatment on your windscreen which is blocking the signal or, maybe you have a front window heater which can also block the signal. The first of these happens routinely when a SatNav is put into a hire car abroad. In both cases, if your SatNav supports an external antenna then this will solve the problem. If it does not, then you have the wrong SatNav for you.

Many body know how likely this is to be an issue. And recommendation of a SatNav which supports an external antenna?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd ask the car hire company about that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Was in Italy for my holliers this year. Both my Brother in law and I hired cars and had no problems with using our SatNavs (no need for external attenae).

Thanks for the replies. I've read lots of reviews at this stage and a number of people have used these sat navs in rented cars with problems.I will try to get a response from the car rental agents first. I suppose if worse comes to worse I can alway stop the car and work out where I should be going from there.

• Advertisement

Just ordered the Garmin Nuvi 255 from Amazon for €124 including postage :). So fingers crossed that it will do the job. Thanks for all you help.

Advertisement