Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Wake is Xbox 360 exclusive

Options
  • 15-07-2009 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

alanwake-thumb-640xauto-6936.jpg
    Alan Wake is one of those games that's held everyone's interest since it was first announced in 2005, even though its intended platforms have changed over the years. Originally, there was talk that it would be released on the PS3, but that was before Microsoft snapped up the publishing rights to the game and thereby limited it to 360 and PC versions. Now, however, it turns out that a PC incarnation of the game may not be in the cards.
    Speaking to Edge Magazine, Sam Lake, the game's lead writer, revealed that Remedy Entertainment is fully focused on getting the game finished in time for its Spring 2010 release date. However, it doesn't sound like a game for Windows is currently a priority for the developer. "We are fully concentrated on the Xbox 360 version," he said in the interview. "Other than that the plans are up in the air and open. Once we get this version done we’ll see."

When Edge asked Lake specifically about a PC version, he responded in as noncommittal a way as possible. "As I said, the plans are open, and once we’re done with the 360 version we’ll evaluate the situation and see what makes sense."
    From here last week

And now this:
    Remedy Entertainment has revealed that the Alan Wake project is now an Xbox 360 exclusive - as the PC version has been shelved indefinitely.
    This follows comments from the game's lead writer Sam Lake that the team is "fully concentrated on the Xbox 360 version".
    A Remedy spokesperson has since confirmed to Digital Spy that the firm is "currently working exclusively" on Alan Wake for the console and that any decision on a potential PC version now rests solely with publisher Microsoft Games.
    "Our PC plans are currently open [and] therefore a joint PC/Xbox launch is not possible at this late stage," said the representative.
    "Remedy has a deep heritage in PC gaming and we would love to see a PC version available for our PC followers. Ultimately, however, this is a decision that lies with our publisher."
    From here

This just sucks, its one game I was hoping to playin all its glory on pc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

FUUUUUU!

Well, cant wait to tell one fanboy about this..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

PC is really is being shafted by major developers these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

But if M$ own the rights, is it not more in their interest to have it a "Games For Windows Live" title, not just 360 exclusive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    But if M$ own the rights, is it not more in their interest to have it a "Games For Windows Live" title, not just 360 exclusive?
    But if Remedy won't do that, then it will be out sourced to become a bad port.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Might still appear later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I'd say it will appear on the PC, it'll just take a while ala Mass Effect.

Azza wrote: »
    Might still appear later.

But this game was touted as needing multiple cores, they ran the last demo they did on a 4Ghz overclocked penryn and showed us that the physics in the game were something to look forward to......all of a sudden its capable of being run on consoles :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I'm more shocked that this game is still coming out... It's a bit of a Duke Nukem Forever job... development hell for years, etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

TBH, if a console focus is dictating its development, then its probably not that much of a loss. Console ports to PC tend to suck floppy donkey cock because they do their best to ignore the advantages of the PC.

If the game means that much, you can probably pick up an X Box 360 for 100 euro or whatever, plus buy the game for 70 or 80 euro or whatever theyre being sold at.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭niemad

Smells like Money Money Money...

This is another attempt by M$ to try and get pc gamers to buy a xbox 360. The game was being developed for a system far more powerful than that, to me that says its tunned down. What a joke, PC to 360, and maybe m$ decide to port it back to PC.

But then people will get shafted with DX11, or just a bad port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Microsoft must really be pissing off their buddies in the PC Gaming Alliance when they pull sh1t like this.

They have made no effort to promote the PC as a gaming platform. They want people viewing advertisements, in a system controller by MS, and paying an annual subscription fee for the pleasure. Maybe market research shows that PC gamers are less likely to spend €5 on a costume for their avatar, or buy jpegs (themes) at €3 a-pop. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I dont really care all that much. I was originally super hyped about Alan Wake....5 years ago when they announced it. The recent trailers look decent, but i dont see this as being a major loss to the pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The original demo was pretty awesome and then some but after half a decade Alan Wake has not aged well at all and now that its a 360 only deal the graphics really wont be up to what an AAA level game in 2010 should be.

What could of been the next Crysis is gonna just be the 360's answer to Heavy Rain on the PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

niemad wrote: »
    Smells like Money Money Money...

This is another attempt by M$ to try and get pc gamers to buy a xbox 360. The game was being developed for a system far more powerful than that, to me that says its tunned down. What a joke, PC to 360, and maybe m$ decide to port it back to PC.

But then people will get shafted with DX11, or just a bad port.

Try looking into other developers/Mac/Linux gaming if you are unhappy with the situation. The selections can be more
    limited but at least you are not actively supporting the death of PC gaming by backing Microsoft. Hit em where it hurts.

Eagerly upgrading to the latest beta quality microsoft OS which is not yet considered stable for gaming just makes MS
    stronger, and thus increasing the likelyhood of cases like this surfacing again. Choose wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

But this game was touted as needing multiple cores, they ran the last demo they did on a 4Ghz overclocked penryn and showed us that the physics in the game were something to look forward to......all of a sudden its capable of being run on consoles :confused:
    Yes, a console which has three cores, with two hardware threads per core. One of those threads will be able to handle physics no problem as has been the case with most other major releases. If you're going to slate it at least know what you're talking about. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

gizmo wrote: »
    Yes, a console which has three cores, with two hardware threads per core. One of those threads will be able to handle physics no problem as has been the case with most other major releases. If you're going to slate it at least know what you're talking about. :)

Can you honestly say a game that's getting developed on a console is going to be anywhere near as good as if it was developed for the PC?

Of course it will look better on a decent PC, no sane person would deny that. However do I think it'll "anywhere near as good" yes, I do. Outside of the usual higher res, better textures and probably some PhysX powered leaves flying around I don't think the move to the console will be overly detrimental to the game in the slightest.

As has been said though, it's bound to come to the PC in time so I'd recommend a great big group unbunching of panties in the meantime. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY.

games are sh1t enough without you retarded n00bs ****ting all over the good ones with "EXCLUSIVE ONLY ASS TATOOS FOR THE FIRST 5MILLIONTH CUSTOMER AND OH MY SWEET MONKEY JESUS CHRIST YOU GET A DOWNLOADABLE T-SHIRT THAT WORKS LEVEL 10 ON GAMER GIRLS THAT SMELL LIKE HARD BOILED EGG?!?! SIGN ME THE FUK UP!"
    exclusive! just like the fukin sun. a fag load of ass n00blets
    g1zmo wrote:
    Yes, a console which has three cores, with two hardware threads per core. One of those threads will be able to handle physics no problem as has been the case with most other major releases. If you're going to slate it at least know what you're talking about.

well how about this. they will retard the game to fit it within those crappy bugged specifications which were only really a marketing tool in the first place. unless you really believe MS & Sony when they tell you how much each of their platforms can do. i bet i wont even be able to change the controllers. bet i wont be able to use the d-pad to move around. its gonna have some retarded function like SHARE YOUR UP D-PAD MOVEMENTS ONLINE WITH OTHER PPLS THAT PRESS UP AND RECIEVE AN ACHIEVEMENT FOR UP PRESSING YEAH! another game that will have a good story but frustrate me to the point of not caring because it will feel and look like every other megagame out there.

whens bioshock 2 out? looks rockin

Why is every thread being trolled by the console fanboys, a 360 is a 3 yr old tri-core pc with 512MB ram shared between cpu and gpu, with a 7800gt as gpu, no way comparable to a modern pc

Anyway, nothing to see here, this game could have been great, but its not

I'm off, bye

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Jazzy wrote: »

whens bioshock 2 out? looks rockin

Next Month :D:)

I couldnt give a F*ck about Alan Wake tbh. Bring on the (BIG) Daddy !!! :D:) :cool:

• Advertisement

Why is every thread being trolled by the console fanboys, a 360 is a 3 yr old tri-core pc with 512MB ram shared between cpu and gpu, with a 7800gt as gpu, no way comparable to a modern pc
    Hilarious, so you make a factually incorrect post in order to strengthen your clearly biased opinion of consoles, then when corrected you resort to fanboi name calling. On top of this you then make more inaccurate points regarding the hardware some of which, ironically enough, rubbish some of the posts in the other thread claiming that an older budget PC could kick the PCs arse? Nice.

Please note that in this case, you're the one ****ting up the thread with complaining that it hasn't been announced on the PC yet. The rest of us are still looking forward to what is shaping up to be a cracking game from a developer with some serious pedigree.
    Anyway, nothing to see here, this game could have been great, but its not
    Yep, that Batman: Arkham Asylum game really did suck due to it being released on the consoles first! Oh no wait...:rolleyes:

console n00b

console n00b
    Tenner bets my PC gaming rig is better than yours. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Piracy on PC is crazy. Take MW2, 4.1 million copies were pirated on the PC, compared to 970,000 on the 360. Got that from here.

Oh, and PC gamers, are graphics all that matter to you? Are you only capable of having fun with a game if you have top of the line lighting, shading and all the other bells and whistles? So much for games just being about having fun.

Tenner bets my PC gaming rig is better than yours. :)

tenner bets you still cant use a railgun

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Piracy on PC is crazy. Take MW2, 4.1 million copies were pirated on the PC, compared to 970,000 on the 360. Got that from here.

Oh, and PC gamers, are graphics all that matter to you? Are you only capable of having fun with a game if you have top of the line lighting, shading and all the other bells and whistles? So much for games just being about having fun.
    Well just taking stats from number of torrent downloads isnt a real accurate way of coming up with how many times the game was pirated on pc/console. Many people may download the torrent and not have a clue how to use it or even not bother downloading it. Also wernt millions of xbox customers banned from live just before xmas for pirating on the console. There was quite a large number of modified consoles banned so sure enough they were used to pirate games.

Nick

tenner bets you still cant use a railgun
    Touché! :P

However your referencing of that game should act as a reminder that it's gameplay which stands the test of time, not fancy graphics. :)

Hilarious, so you make a factually incorrect post in order to strengthen your clearly biased opinion of consoles, then when corrected you resort to fanboi name calling.

Theres 2 gaming pc's, an xbox360, 2 original xboxes, wii, ps2, psp and 2 ds's in this house and they all get played, hardly a biased opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

a 360 is a 3 yr old tri-core pc with 512MB ram shared between cpu and gpu, with a 7800gt as gpu, no way comparable to a modern PC

The PS3 has a 7800gt gpu, the 360 has a custom ATi chip set with 8Mb of very fast dedicated memory as it's gpu. It's amazing the 360 can match and exceed the PS3's graphics in some cross platform games.

• Advertisement

Theres 2 gaming pc's, an xbox360, 2 original xboxes, wii, ps2, psp and 2 ds's in this house and they all get played, hardly a biased opinion.
    Unfortunately your comments indicate otherwise. :o
    The PS3 has a 7800gt gpu, the 360 has a custom ATi chip set with 8Mb of very fast dedicated memory as it's gpu. It's amazing the 360 can match and exceed the PS3's graphics in some cross platform games.
    Completely and utterly incorrect. The Xenos GPU in the 360 is actually "better" than the RSX in the PS3. The developers excellent use of the Cell is the reason why many of the PS3 exclusives look so good. For more accurate info head over to Beyond3D or the Digital Foundry for some more digestible info.

Anyway, back on topic - Alan Wake. *want*

Advertisement