Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WPA/WEP?

Options
  • 15-07-2009 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi can anyone tell me is the modem offered with Perlico on
    http://www.perlico.com/offers/wirelessmodem.aspx ( ie the Wireless Zyxel P-660HW Modem model) secured with WEP or WPA? Under Wireless local area connection features it mentions both so im confused :confused:.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Both. You can choose which one you want.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

But how secure is WPA? when i turn this setting on the modem,it sets to WPA personal mode..what does this mean? im also using the key that was sent to me..should i change this?

WPA is more secure than WEP. You should definetly change the key to something you only know.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Also when using WPA, most of the hacks are dictionary based, so its best not to use words or phrases. Although tbh even the dictionary hacks against actual words can take a very long time.

Ok so a completely random string of letters and numbers. is it ok if i let my computer save this pass phrase so that i dont have to enter this every time i log onto my network? or is that less secure?

• Advertisement

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Ok so a completely random string of letters and numbers. is it ok if i let my computer save this pass phrase so that i dont have to enter this every time i log onto my network? or is that less secure?

Thats grand. You just want to stop people near you from logging onto your router.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

On that note is there a way of telling if someone is illegally hacking into your wireless connection? And on this notion can i get caught hacking into some elses connection? There are a lot of WEP eircom signals where i live :pac:

On most routers you can login into them (typing 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 or www.routerlogin.com) depending on the brand, there is a section called attached devices that will show you what is connected to the router and the MAC address of the device that is connected to it.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 eolair

don't worry about WEP vs WPA. Choose one, choose a password that includes a number and or a couple of punctuation characters. You'll be grand.

Unless there is a reason why someone would go to the time and bother of cracking your specific wifi (as opposed to the dozens in your immediate neighborhood) there is no point in going over the top or stressing.

If you run a business with sensitive information, or if you're a government agent, then you worry. Everybody else just has to discourage the casual war drivers / bandwidth thieves.

Advertisement