Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dystopian Novels

Options
  • 15-07-2009 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend some decent dystopian novels? I've just read 1984 and The Handmaid's Tale and I'm eager for more :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

A Clockwork Orange?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Good call - I've heard much of it, never occured to me, should do the job!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Dystopian_novels

Maybe you will be able to spot a few here that you've heard about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Roche

The road by Cormac McCarthy is an easy read. If you like this genre I recommend subversive novels too by the likes of Charles Bukowski, Henry Miller, and I recently read Apathy and small other victories by Paul Neilan - excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Joe Cool

A Scanner Darkly - Philip K. Dick

• Advertisement

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Good call - I've heard much of it, never occured to me, should do the job!

Its a great book. Its written in a heavily Russian slang that many would find hard to read (or dismiss), but in my opinion its just another reason its so good. Certainly Orwellian in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ilovenerds

Brave New World is good...

Also I just ordered Fahrenheit 451 and hopefully that will be interesting..:)

Yeah I forgot about Brave New World, although its not technically a dystopia, those who liked 1984 would probably enjoy it a bit. Although in some peoples opinion it may be a dystopia. Depends on your view :p
    An imaginary place or state in which the condition of life is extremely bad, as from deprivation, oppression, or terror.

turgon wrote: »
    Its a great book. Its written in a heavily Russian slang that many would find hard to read (or dismiss), but in my opinion its just another reason its so good. Certainly Orwellian in parts.

See that ilovenerds? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ilovenerds

"Many dystopias found in fictional and artistic works can be described as a utopian society with at least one fatal flaw,[9] whereas a utopian society is founded on the good life, a dystopian society’s dreams of improvement are overshadowed by stimulating fears of the "ugly consequences of present-day behavior."

I think Brave new World qualifies as a dystopia under these conditions... People are certainly oppressed and I'd consider any society where there is no room for or acceptance of individuality to be inherently flawed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 pieye

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin, good novel; really interesting back story... yes I had to look up the spelling.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Metropolis by Thea von Harbou
    Oryx & Crake by Margaret Atwood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭TedB

ilovenerds wrote: »
    "Many dystopias found in fictional and artistic works can be described as a utopian society with at least one fatal flaw,[9] whereas a utopian society is founded on the good life, a dystopian society’s dreams of improvement are overshadowed by stimulating fears of the "ugly consequences of present-day behavior."

I think Brave new World qualifies as a dystopia under these conditions... People are certainly oppressed and I'd consider any society where there is no room for or acceptance of individuality to be inherently flawed...

Brave New World is different than a typical dystopian novel in that people choose to be oppressed. They are engineered to such a fashion that they don't desire full knowledge of their situation. They are engineered to be happy and content. Essentially BNW is about rights - AKA, your rights to be unhappy and independent. Information is concealed from you, but you are oblivious, apathetic anyway. Whereas with Orwell information is concealed from you and you are miserable, unhappy, opressed.

Orwell is about fear - he is about domination. The consequences of challenging the system are severe and absolute. The consequences of challenging the system in BNW leads to you being banished to an island of like minded people - not particularly harsh :pac:

^True, but in brave New World they dont even seem to have the choice, they have to be engineered, so this woule give more credence to its place as dystopian.

I think in evaluating a good dystopian its has to be relevant, imo. It is here that 1984 comes out superior.

^True, but in brave New World they dont even seem to have the choice, they have to be engineered, so this woule give more credence to its place as dystopian.

I think in evaluating a good dystopian its has to be relevant, imo. It is here that 1984 comes out superior.

Thats true, but does the fact that certain people were able to question their own instincts not make it entirely different? I kind of got the impression that even on a subconscious level (even though they were engineered) that the choice was there - just that people constantly chose to live in the society they did. Which is in reality a utopia if you don't mind everything being pre-arranged for you!

TedB wrote: »
    Thats true, but does the fact that certain people were able to question their own instincts not make it entirely different?!

Yes, I think the soma issue was one where they had a choice, so it wasnt all forced on them.

There was a good thread in the humanities forum on this whole issue, it was a bit "high-brow" so no one really responded though.

Yes, I think the soma issue was one where they had a choice, so it wasnt all forced on them.

There was a good thread in the humanities forum on this whole issue, it was a bit "high-brow" so no one really responded though.

Good thread, cheers for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissRibena

I think Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro qualifies. I wasn't a fan but lots of people rave about it.

Anyone here read any other Huxley books???

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Most have been said already, but,

- 'We'
    - 'Brave New World'
    - 'Oryx and Crake'
    - 'The Road'
    - 'Anthem' (Novella)
    - 'Atlas Shrugged'
    - 'Island'
    - 'Tale of Two Cities'
    - 'Neuromancer'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

I thought 'Island' was quite good.

Loved Point Counter Point and Crome Yellow... was interesting. Intend to read Eyeless in Gaza soon. I think he's a great author, has a very strange yet interesting world view.

Are they similar to Brave New World, in that the author appears to have a biological scientific basis for his theory?

Are they similar to Brave New World, in that the author appears to have a biological scientific basis for his theory?

Not at all. I read the other books well before I read Brave New World and found them very different. Point Counter Point is a ramble through London high society in the 1920s - There is no real central plot stream, just a conurbation of seperate plots based on a multitude of interesting characters. Crome Yellow is the story of a young poet as he spends a couple of weeks in a 'big' house out in the English countryside with a few other eccentric aristocrats. There is one character in that who is based around his future novel, 'Brave New World', and exhibits all of the eugenics Huxley was so intrinsically opposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Another vote for A Clockwork Orange from me.

Make sure you read the full version, and not the crappy edited one.

Edited one? I wasnt aware of one. Hope I read the right version then :)

A piece of trivia is that when published in the States, A Clockwork Orange was supplemented by a glossary of slang at back. I found it funny as it fits into that stereotype of Americans being "intellectually shallow,;" in that they needed guidance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

ilovenerds wrote: »
    Also I just ordered Fahrenheit 451 and hopefully that will be interesting..:)

You won't be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick would be worth having a look at.
    A Clockwork Orange was brilliant too. Remember starting it and after reading a page, "No way I can finish this", it quickly grows on you and get easier to read though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Philip K Dick is the master. Check out The Man in The High Castle - one of his best! Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe as a pick from leftfield.

• Advertisement
Advertisement