Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dying of rules

• 15-07-2009 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Today I saw the Guards give a ticket to someone selling potatoes and strawberries at the side of the road.

Last week shut down a bar for the night and subsequently the bar got a large fine, because it was offering a drinks promotion that contravened Irish Drinking laws.

Now, my point is not to feel sorry for those two cases above, they broke the rules - rules that others are adhering to, despite the detriment to their businesses. My point is are we dying as an economy because there are too many taxes and more relevantly for this thread, too many rules.

Irish pubs are dying because the government won't let them compete, won't let them offer the best to its customers. They will say that it's to prevent binge drinking - bars can't offer happy hours or two for ones, because it encourages binge drinking. But they are allowed sell a bucket of beers etc. They will do everything in their power to circumvent these "laws".

Take somewhere like Spain...clubs open til 6:30am....drink specials all over the place...is it bringing that country to its knees?

And I'm not only talking about drink here...I'm sure you guys can think of loads of rules and regulations that this country has that prevents it from spreading its wings...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

who has the money to binge drink anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Today I saw the Guards give a ticket to someone selling potatoes and strawberries at the side of the road.

I wish they'd do something about the people who sell carpet outside my hall door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

And I'm not only talking about drink here...I'm sure you guys can think of loads of rules and regulations that this country has that prevents it from spreading its wings...

The rules on other drugs are even more idiotic tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Ah yes, God be with the days when you could call a Garda a stupid culchie bollox and only get the ****e kicked out of you...

Now you get fined for it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

jesus, everyone knows the country is in dire straits..

when a person goes out and tries to make money using his own produce, he gets a ticket...

ridiculous

where is the justice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Potatos and strawberries???

That sounds horrible, no wonder he got a ticket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

PK2008 wrote: »

And apple juice. Forgot to mention the apple juice.

Just looking at another thread on after hours....i actually think "rounds" encourages excessive drinking more than happy hours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

These rules are beginning to annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

PK2008 wrote: »

Damn Wexicans!

<-<
    >->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Not the same guy that I saw on the M7 :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

look its plain to say fianna fail are a bunch of serous twats with absalulty no idea how to have a good time. Personally if it was up to me

id have bars open all day and night long have a levy on what tax thay pay and let them charge what ever they want...

In france i can buy a 2 liter bottel of vodka for 12 euros.

with that bottel il make 240 euros of 12 euros in one night thats in the till into your hand money...
    That the french government dont see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

look its plain to say fianna fail are a bunch of serous twats with absalulty no idea how to have a good time. Personally if it was up to me

wow.. only 12 posts before fianna fail get the blame for this one..

not bad

And of course they know how to have a good time... they had the biggest tent at the galway races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

The Gards should maybe have shown a bit more discression in those instances . . .

Back to the ****ty govnmnt and the spreading wings thing.

they're such a bunch of bleedin' hypocrytes.
    A few years ago they made illeagal chewwing tobacco for the health of the country.Sounds good,doesn't it?The government cares for our well-being.But wait a second.If they banned chewwing tobacco isn't it logical to ban the more harmful cigarettes?But no,they just extort the cigarette smoker by adding HUGE taxes because they know people are still going to buy them.
    Price of 20 cigarettes witout tax:€2
    Price of 20 cigarettes with tax:€8.50

Bleedin' outrageous!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Just looking at another thread on after hours....i actually think "rounds" encourages excessive drinking more than happy hours...

Rounds are a tad tricky to tag fines/tolls/penalty points to. I'm sure if the civil servants justifying their own jobs by turning Ireland into a nanny state would love to find a way to punish those who partake in rounds.
    They could spend millions on consultants, focus groups and jollies abroad to 'study' foreign policies against rounds.

If they pass some halfbaked anti-rounds legislation they have the added bonus of new government jobs for their kin as inspectors and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

It's not really fair to blame the Gardaí though. They can't decide which laws to enforce and which to turn a blind eye to.

That said I agree with your post, prime examples of some of the overly stringent rules we have here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

the civil servants justifying their own jobs by turning Ireland into a nanny state

There you go...for once FF aren't the real ones to blame here...it's these f*ckers and their comittee meetings inventing new ways to find danger and risk amonsgt the most benign of things that have the country the way it's going.

Legislate for it. Tax it. If you can't tax it, create a fine for it...if you can't collect the fine make it a criminal offence...if people won't pay up (they always do) chuck them in jail.
    Pretty soon the whole country will be full of criminals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Wertz wrote: »

Legislate for it. Tax it. If you can't tax it, create a fine for it...if you can't collect the fine make it a criminal offence...if people won't pay up (they always do) chuck them in jail.
    Pretty soon the whole country will be full of criminals...

Uh oh no way brud, that theory only works for people who WON'T fall foul of the law.

The people against whom it's aimed, they won't give a fcuk.

Advertisement