Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's your round!

• 15-07-2009 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

When you're heading out, do you buy in rounds? Personally I'm not a fan of it, as I'm not a big drinker and always always end up shltfaced if I try to keep up with everyone else! I prefer to buy my own unless there's only a couple of us in it - in big groups you'll always have a couple of stingey feckers dodging their round anyway. But it can be very awkward sometimes and I end up being pressurised into it - you don't want to be the oddball buying your drinks separate to everyone else!

And what about this "kitty" system I hear people on about? I just hate the term "kitty" ... but does anyone actually do this when they're out apart from my auntie?!

And don't you hate those couples who consider themselves to be one "unit", and accept two drinks each time but only buy one round? I know a couple like that, and the worst thing is they always get a vodka and a full coke each, but will share the coke when they're buying, grrr!

Has - dare I say it - the "r" word affected your drinks-buying-habits, and made you more wary of being screwed over by rounds when you're out?

Stories of tight-ass round dodgers welcome :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Rounds are stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

One of my mates is a genius when it comes to dodging rounds.

He times it perfectly, disappears right before someone mentions that another round is needed

Its an art-form really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Rounds if it's a small group, any more and it can get messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Rounds are good if there is about 8 or 9 in the group. Get in early on the round, that way when the pub gets busier you're not the one standing at the bar for 15mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

nope its anoying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

If I'm out with a large group of people and they're doing a round, it's really hard to get out of. Sometimes I'm just too broke, or I don't want to drink a lot, so I'll buy the first couple of drinks myself or just do a "mini-round" with my OH or a friend ... but it always ends up that someone in the big group will buy you one without asking on their round. And then you can either just accept it and not buy back - which looks really stingey! - or else you have to join in the round with everyone else, whether you can afford it or not.

It's a stupid system, it's only fair if everyone is drinking similar-priced drinks, at a similar speed, and of a quantity which is a multiple of the number of people present!!!

don't like big rounds.. a 2 person round works perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

If I'm out with a large group of people and they're doing a round, it's really hard to get out of. Sometimes I'm just too broke, or I don't want to drink a lot, so I'll buy the first couple of drinks myself or just do a "mini-round" with my OH or a friend ... but it always ends up that someone in the big group will buy you one without asking on their round. And then you can either just accept it and not buy back - which looks really stingey! - or else you have to join in the round with everyone else, whether you can afford it or not.

It's a stupid system, it's only fair if everyone is drinking similar-priced drinks, at a similar speed, and of a quantity which is a multiple of the number of people present!!!

First rule of AH.

n00bs buy first round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Yah, I'm all for rounds. Personally though not in massive groups. I go out for a few pints and a wind down. Generally I'd hope not to get too sh!tfaced at the end of the night.

As a result I wouldn't look favourably in getting into a round with more than about 5 people. 5 people = 5 pints. Why would I get into a round with 9 or 10 people? I'm simply not getting my moneys worth.

In my experience the more people in the round, the more sh!tfaced people get, the more the round gets warped and people start to lose out or get shafted.

3 or 4 people - the perfect round. Rounds are always better.

My attitude with my better mates is that it'll all balance out eventually anyway .. we don't fight over fivers here and there ..

Er - um - I forgot my wallet, get ya back another night!

• Advertisement

Er - um - I forgot my wallet, get ya back another night!

Toilets - 10 mins.
    We can forget the rounds.

snyper wrote: »
    Toilets - 10 mins.
    We can forget the rounds.

Why, do you think I might have left my wallet there?

OK Mr Snyper, see you then ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Conned again.

Publicans LOVE the round system, that way everybody feels they have to keep up with the fastest drinker, usually some gannetnecked cnunt who just bores a hole in the drink and spreads the legs like a fcukin buddha for the night.

Drink at your own pace and tell anyone who objects to fcuk off, and go and fcuk themselves, you will do what you want.

Only way to operate.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Bantam talking some heavy weight sense IMO. You get in a round system you'll get plastered too quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

out with a few guys i met over in spain and it was this stingey fúckers round and when we had all finished our drinks he sneaked off to the toilet for twenty mins!

"Sneaked " is the word you wanted there friend.

Drink at your own pace and tell anyone who objects to fcuk off, and go and fcuk themselves, you will do what you want.

Only way to operate.

Thats grand when you're "our" age late 20's and beyond..

but tell that to the peer preassured younger lot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

I think there should be a round table discussion on the subject. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Conned again.

Publicans LOVE the round system, that way everybody feels they have to keep up with the fastest drinker, usually some gannetnecked cnunt who just bores a hole in the drink and spreads the legs like a fcukin buddha for the night.

Only way to operate.

True that, the thanks are for making me laugh though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Don't get me wrong .. if i've had enough or want to skip a round then I will .. I've seen mates do it too . it's just more conveinent. I guess this bit then comes back to fiver or ten euro between mates is nothing .. one night it might be me, another one of them.

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    Thats grand when you're "our" age late 20's and beyond..

but tell that to the peer preassured younger lot...

Speak for yourself horse.

If the peer pressured younger lot accept the greasy holed publicans agenda, well fcuk them, they get what they deserve.

Someone with the backbone like the Flutt needs to stand up and say "Fcuk you you greedy cnunts, you will not make me feel stupid if I don't go along with your fcuking system"

That's the way it works most other countries I've visited.

Until we buck this stupid system, we will always be portrayed as soaks.

Cop on people, these cnunts are on their knees.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I hate buying rounds unless theres on 2-3 people max.

Why do you do it then.?

Get up on your hind legs and tell the publicans to fcuk off.

The fcukers depend on wimps like you.:confused:

Advertisement