Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for cooking liver

Options
  • 15-07-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi, I'm gonna try cooking liver for the kids the weekend. Anyone any suggestions on how to cook it and what to cook it with (never cooked it before).

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Stick to the classics.

This Liver and onions recipe is prety good.
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Absolute-Best-Liver-and-Onions/Detail.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

Tks a mill, I wouldn't have known to soak it in milk. Gonna give that recipe a try, see if the kids like (I'm a veggie so no tasting it for me).

Tks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dollybird09

My mum used to put stuffing on it and wrap it in bacon before banging it in the oven...

I dont like liver but my dad and brothers raved about it!

I've never known much about liver but there seems to be many interesting ways of cooking it. Tks:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The soaking in milk thing is just a good tip if you are giving it someone who says they don't like that strong livery taste.

I myself wouldnt bother, i love the taste of liver, and i'd cook it for seconds on each side so it was almost raw inside...

• Advertisement

Hmm, raw inside. I think I remember the taste of liver, its very very strong if I remember correctly and not to everyones taste. You obviously LOVE it;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

I would cook it rare too... And with onions, gravy and sausage and maybe some mash. mmmm! Put some rosemary and a splash of red wine in the gravy and you have a meal fit for a king!!! Oh now I want some!!! :)

You had me at "mash"..... oh wud murder some now, wiv raw onions in it:D

SuperTyper wrote: »
    You had me at "mash"..... oh wud murder some now, wiv raw onions in it:D

Me too.... wish i hadn't just eaten my dinner! Gonna head out and buy some in the morning for dinner tomorrow.... ah comfort food!!! :) Im a chef.... I LOVE cooking! Esp at home! Im nearly drooling now thinkin of tomorrow!!! :D

Ah rub it in why don't ya, a chef, I'm jealous:eek: I'm looking for recipes for liver, that's how bad I am:D And I'm STARVIN MARVIN right now. Sure I'm gonna have to have mash tomorrow now.

• Advertisement

Hee hee, well enjoy your dinner! Hope the liver turns out well for you and the OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

ooo liverlicious. I saw on 'What to eat now' the other week - he put them on a skewer, sprinkled with cumin and something else and seared it on the bbq, leaving it med-rare. Looked FAB. oooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

its lovely flash fried in a hot pan(rare) then de glaze pan with balsamic vinegar and serve with mash and onion rings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Chuckchuck

Dip it in seasoned flour and fry with streaky bacon....yummy. Strong taste from liver so expect kids to take time to acquire a taste

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Calves liver dregged in seasoned flour and fried in butter - add a couple of fresh sage leaves and deglaze the pan with a little white wine.

Calves liver dregged with flour seasoned with sweet smoked paprika - pan fry and serve with a dollop of sour cream.

Chicken livers diced and pan fried, then flambe with a little brandy, enrich with some butter and toss in a little linguine.
    Chicken Liver Pâté with Bramley Apple Jelly - courtesy of Gary Rhodes

Serves 4 - 6

For the Pâté

350g (12oz) trimmed chicken livers, soaked for 24 hours in milk
    100g (4oz) unsalted butter (maximum weight), softened
    100ml (4 fl oz) double cream
    a splash of cognac, armagnac or port, to taste
    salt, pepper, and a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
    melted butter for topping

For the Bramley Apple Jelly

2 Bramley apples, peeled and cored
    juice of ½ lemon
    600ml (1 pint) apple juice
    4 gelatine leaves, soaked in cold water

Method

To poach the livers, remove them from the milk and poach in simmering salted water for 2-3 minutes until just beginning to firm, looking for a rare to medium touch. It’s best to lift one from the water and check by pressing. Remove from the liquor and leave to rest for a few minutes.

If you prefer to pan-fry the liver, remove them from the milk and dry on kitchen paper. Use the ingredients listed, with the addition of 2 teaspoons of finely chopped shallots, a knob of butter and an extra 2 tablespoons of cognac or other spirit. Melt the knob of butter in a frying pan and, once bubbling, add the livers. Increase the heat and continue to pan-fry for 1-2 minutes before turning over and continuing to cook for another minute.

Add the chopped shallots, along with the extra cognac or armagnac. Flambé and remove from the pan. Leave to cool slightly.

Transfer the livers to a food processor, along with the butter (at room temperature), double cream and cognac, or other spirit. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and blitz to a smooth purée. You will now have a pâté rich pink in colour. For the smoothest of finishes, simply push the pâté through a fine sieve. Check for seasoning before spooning and smoothing into one large dish or 4-6 individual ramekins. Now wrap the dish(es) in cling film and refrigerate to set: this will take 30-40 minutes.

Melt 25–50g (1-2oz) of butter and top each dish with just enough to give the thinnest of coatings. This can be done up to 48 hours in advance.

To make the apple jelly, cut each Bramley apple into small 5mm (¼ inch) dice. Toss in the lemon juice, coating all the pieces. Place the apple juice in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the apple dice and simmer for a minute, until just tender. Strain from the juice, re-boiling the liquor and reducing by half: this will increase the apple flavour. Remove from the heat, add the leaves of gelatine and strain through a fine sieve or muslin, if necessary, to remove any apple sediment. Leave to cool, replacing the diced apple before leaving to set in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Does soaking it in milk really mask the strong test? I'm anaemic and I tried it once but it was that little bit too strong. Would soaking it in milk and then frying it with bacon work?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

What ever way you cook it, just keep it rare. It rivals tuna steak in the "yummy to rancid in the blink of an eye" stakes when you over cook it

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Oh god No! I couldn't handle it rare now. I'm the medium to well done type! I found a nice recipe for liver, bacon and onion gravy. Sounds yummy!

Advertisement