Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am quite annoyed

Options
  • 15-07-2009 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

Hey there, I'm living in Glanmire, Cork and have a 2mb line with Eircom. Afaik that is all that's been available to us. However, I gamed on it before and it was fine, I pinged 40-50 steady to UK servers.

3 years later I've built a new machine and was really looking forward to getting back into a bit of CS and some COD4, alas it wasn't to be, tried to join many Source servers, minimum ping I could get was 75-80 and it spiked up over 100 alot. Rang support and he tried to be helpful, he said he would change the interleaving to help gaming, but I don't know how much that will help.

Does anybody here have any advice for me about how I'm going to get a good ping?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Is it just in the last few days you've tried this?
    As if it is then it could be due to recent eircom network issues

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Yeah, built a new machine on Friday, was playing in my brothers off his 20mb line and it was perfect, brought it home and the lowest ping I could get was 75-80, I'm not sure if it's anything to do with that but I doubt it. Might be just eircom are **** and I need to change..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Turning interleaving off will definitely help.

Also they may have upgraded you to the 7.6mb product at some stage that has terrible pings. You'd be better off on the lower packages for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I'm on 2mb, they changed the interleaving Wednesday evening, went home for some gaming last night, lowest my ping would go ANYWHERE was 75-80, averaging 90, it's absolutely nowhere near good enough. Will be ringing tonight and complaining again.

Advertisement