Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere to kayak?

Options
  • 15-07-2009 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hey,

Does anyone know of any kayaking clubs or anyone doing kayaking lessons in Sligo.. Used to do it a few years ago and wouldn't mind getting back into it.. Need a hobby...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Roche

I beleive they have classes on the Garavouge; just east of town....at least they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Yes, there was/is kayaking on the Garavogue. Used to see them around Barton Smiths fighting against the current. I'm not sure if it was a club though or if it's the Grammer School.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carebare

Hi, funnily enough I was just out for a walk in Hazelwood today and there was a sign up for a kayak club. Think it said something bout 95 euro for wks worth of lessons, doorly park direction. Hope that's of some help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

Hi, I did a quick search there for "paddle monkey". I'd heard of them in the past. I'm not sure if this is still going because the site that this link references is dead but here is information with a number for them anyway. Might be worth the phone call.

It's says that they usually do it around Doorly park.

http://www.discoverireland.com/us/ireland-things-to-see-and-do/listings/product/?fid=FI_77520

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

OP Could you let us know if you find something? I really would like to know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jarrath

slavigo wrote: »
    Hi, I did a quick search there for "paddle monkey". I'd heard of them in the past. I'm not sure if this is still going because the site that this link references is dead but here is information with a number for them anyway. Might be worth the phone call.

It's says that they usually do it around Doorly park.

http://www.discoverireland.com/us/ireland-things-to-see-and-do/listings/product/?fid=FI_77520

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the replies guys.. I used to get lessons with the Paddle Monkey guy.. That was a few years ago though and wasn't sure if he was still doing it.. I'll check it out again and will let ye know..

Back living at home again and slowly losing my mind, so need to do something..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I'm sure there is a sign on the Carraroe roundabout for Paddle monkey (or something like that).
    Also sure I saw some ads in last weeks Weekender....if I still have it I'll have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Hi. Just noticed your post. Haven't logged on in ages. I believe that Paddle Monkey guy is still going. There's also a new (2006) Sligo Canoe Club. There have containers full of kit at Doorly Park. Head down by Argos and at the turn towards the Sports Complex turn into the little car park on the left. They have a sign up with contact numbers.
    There's loads of videos on youtube of people kayaking around Sligo. Apparently the River Duff near Bundoran, the Owenmore at Collooney and Ballysadare and the Easky River are all good rivers, as is the Bonet in Dromahair.
    Found this link http://www.sligokc.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I'm wondering about the same thing actually, is there age limits? I know a 13year old that would be interested.

The kc website seems a bit out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I doubt they all have age limits. Many canoe clubs provide bouyancy aids and some rudimentary training. The Grammar school has a canoe club and pupils are encouraged to join as soon as they start school at about 13 yrs old. As far as I know, PaddleMonkey do lessons.
    Adventure centers like Delphi and Gartan give lessons. Might be worth a day out to see if someone really likes it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paddlemonkey

Sligo kayak Club are running a series of pool training sessions - every Saturday 12.45 at the Regional Sports Centre Swimming pool. Cost 10 euro plus club membership.

I run Paddlemonkey, and if you call, I can arrange private kayak lessons. PM me for telephone number and details.

It's a great sport for the area, considering we have so much water!

d

Advertisement