Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dodder in Ballsbridge

Options
  • 15-07-2009 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

anyone know why the river bed of the Dodderas it flows through Ballsbridge (specifically under the mai car bridge) is man layed cobblestone? You can see it clearly when the water is low. I'm sure there's an obvious answer to this but it's been bugging me for years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Well my guess would be that back in the day when it was an important economic river which was used for mills it was cobbled to prevent scour on the bed and keep it moving fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think there is an outlet into the river at that point, on the Ulster bank side.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Well my guess would be that back in the day when it was an important economic river which was used for mills it was cobbled to prevent scour on the bed and keep it moving fast.

surely a mill would benefit more from a larger body of water though? Its generally very shallow as it is.
    I think there is an outlet into the river at that point, on the Ulster bank side.

must have a look when I walk past tomorrow, although it does seem a bit OTT to accomodate an outlet no? The cobbled area is pretty big, covering the whole river bed for a short distance.

I wonder is it an aesthetic thing? The water there is generally shallow except for during heavy rain or flooding, the bed can be seen most days of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Probably just to spend their budget on something make the place look better! Not needed but then again lots of thins in that neck of the woods are OTT...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Victor wrote: »

Right under the Ulster Bank in fact. The outlet is not that big compared to the cobbled area. Could it be to protect the bridge itself?

• Advertisement
Advertisement