Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Smartphone to purchase?

• 15-07-2009 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hello all,

So i've been thinking about making a purchase of a smartphone for the last month or so and have been doing a bit of research on the prices etc. I have arrived at the conclusion that I don't want an IPhone, because of the cost mainly I suppose.

What I want is a phone that's competitive cost-wise (i'm also realistic!) and I would like to enjoy similar features/functions to the IPhone. I'm on the Vodafone Network with the job so I need to purchase it unlocked as Vodafone have the worst selection of all!

I want the device for features such as: wifi/web-use/browsing/music/movies/phone/all of the usual stuff that makes travelling a bit easier! I have been looking between 2 devices: HTC Hero and N97. Am I leaving any decent devices out? Am I correct in saying that these 2 devices are v closely matched (performance/memory/software capabilities/apps). The HTC seems to be a little easier on the pocket though!

Any suggestions welcome as this is my first smartphone and i'd like to get it right first time if possible!!

Cheers folks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The hero and the n97 are quite similar yes. I use a n97 myself and find it great. I cant speak for a hands on of the hero but from studying reviews of both i choose the n97.

You could get an iphone if you wanted for less than both of these, with the release of the new S model and first gen and the 3g prices have dropped drastically.

You may consider something like the Samsung Omnia HD i8910, or even a more basic model that will still do what you require is the nokia 5800.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

I just ordered a HTC touch diamond 2.

Cost 430 euro.

Will let you know in a few days how it is! Gets good reviews, although windows mobile as oppose to android on the HTC hero which may not be your cup of tea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

buy an unlocked iPhone 3G refurb? costs less than the ones you mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

The unlocked iPhone3Gs and N97 are pretty similar in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    I'm in the same boat. I have a SE K810i, which is good but spoke to a few friends with iphones and they all said they love it. I like the idea of massive amount of apps available and touch screen.

The negative things with the iphone seem to be battery life, very basic camera and price (cheapest 3G 8GB seems to be about the €300 mark or so. I wouldn't buy one through EBay, would prefer adverts.ie or similar where you can meet the person and check out the phone).

The Nokia N96/97 are very good (good camera etc) but slightly 'bricky' I think and non-touch screen (not sure if the touch screen is a novelty that would wear off or not).
    Anyone have a link for pros and cons of all main competitors?

Have a look here at some....

Cheers,
    patrick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I'd wait for the Hero. You can avoid the mandatory iPhone tariffs and locking and it really is an excellent device. It supports Flash video and multitasking unlike the iPhone. This guy spent a week with the Hero, so it should give you a good overview of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wELCCUchWhc

Also, the Hero runs Android which has a lot of useful apps and seems to be gaining some momentum at last. The N97 runs S60 with a few widgets on top and has a resistive screen; inferior to a capacitive one like the iPhone and Hero. As well as that, the N97 has been panned by most tech critics.

That being said, on PAYG, the iPhone is not more expensive than either the N97 or the Hero; in fact, the N97 is more expensive than the iPhone. I wouldn't let the cost put you off the iPhone; SIM-free smartphones aren't cheap. If you want a phone that will get the most developer and 3rd party attention, I'd get an iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Just got a HTC touch diamond 2.

WinMo as opposed to android unlike the hero. Have to say, the UI is fab compared to my experience with the iPhone, so much more like a serious device as opposed to a toy if you can get me. The resistive screen of course aint as good as the apple but you get used to it pretty quick.

One added advantage of course also is that it has mobile office installed for those who need these features.

BTW for those interested, I bought it off expansys. Tried to order it on website, list prixe there 460 euro with delivery, however expansys.ie doesnt take laser cards, only credit cards. So, I phoned up to enquire and the guy said that I could order with laser over phone, but he would put it through UK website. He gave me UK price converted to euro which worked out at 440 euro, 20 quid cheaper! Anyway, ordered tuesday, received thursday morning, pretty good service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

i have the SE Xperia and its a decent phone windows mobile takes a bit of getting used to.
    but put spb mobile shell on the phone and update to the latest firmwarewhen you get it,and the phone is
    very good.
    there are tonnes of applications and games for windows mobbile,probably as many as the iphone.
    i have tomtom on it, and its very handy to throw it on when i get lost around those crazy one way streets in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ShamrockAir

Would you consider buying an AMSAM M810

Its a Touch Screen Pocket PC.Which may or may not be what you are looking for as the criteria to be a smart phone has changed so much in the past.

It runs Windows Mobile 6 has built in Wi-FI,Bluetooth 2.8" Touch LCD

It also has a built in GPS chip so you can add GPS software and your phone doubles to a sat nav,

Im using Garmin atm.

It take a micro SD card up to 16Gbwhich is plenty of space.

If you do decide to get this phone Pm me and i will hook you up with some software

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Samson1

Jamie32 wrote: »
    Hello all,

So i've been thinking about making a purchase of a smartphone for the last month or so and have been doing a bit of research on the prices etc. I have arrived at the conclusion that I don't want an IPhone, because of the cost mainly I suppose.

What I want is a phone that's competitive cost-wise (i'm also realistic!) and I would like to enjoy similar features/functions to the IPhone. I'm on the Vodafone Network with the job so I need to purchase it unlocked as Vodafone have the worst selection of all!

I want the device for features such as: wifi/web-use/browsing/music/movies/phone/all of the usual stuff that makes travelling a bit easier! I have been looking between 2 devices: HTC Hero and N97. Am I leaving any decent devices out? Am I correct in saying that these 2 devices are v closely matched (performance/memory/software capabilities/apps). The HTC seems to be a little easier on the pocket though!

Any suggestions welcome as this is my first smartphone and i'd like to get it right first time if possible!!

Cheers folks.

Jamie, if like me you dont want all that iPhone / Apple hassle go for the N97 - up & coming phone, lots of apps coming on stream & will be the biggest Nokia phone to date. After a lot of soul searching about moving to a touch-screen I'm going to this after 2 months of solid research & thanks all the posters here who've tried it out. It is expensive - & if you don't want to go touch-screen then the nokia n86 has to be the next best smartphone out there. No connection to nokia - but a long time user & listener.

• Advertisement

just got an ol e63 and cant believe how good it is. Touch screen is totally overrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Jamie32

Thanks for all of the replies to date folks. I'm probably leaning towards the Hero and the missus will probably be doing likewise. Just wondering though the N97 has an incredible amount of capacity 32GB. How does the hero compare to it capacity-wise? Like would the hero be inferior from a watching movies/listening to music/storing photographs scenario?? It's due out tomorrow am I correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Thanks for all of the replies to date folks. I'm probably leaning towards the Hero and the missus will probably be doing likewise. Just wondering though the N97 has an incredible amount of capacity 32GB. How does the hero compare to it capacity-wise? Like would the hero be inferior from a watching movies/listening to music/storing photographs scenario?? It's due out tomorrow am I correct?

Hero won't be out until August, I'm afraid. The Hero takes microSD cards, so the limit is the largest size of microSD that's available, currently 32GB, but 64 & 128 are on the way. It certainly wouldn't be inferior from a media point of view to the N97.

mobius42 wrote: »
    Hero won't be out until August, I'm afraid. The Hero takes microSD cards, so the limit is the largest size of microSD that's available, currently 32GB, but 64 & 128 are on the way. It certainly wouldn't be inferior from a media point of view to the N97.

Yeah, i don't have a problem waiting a couple of weeks or a month for the hero once it's here before September....got a lot of travelling to do! Is there an SD Card that comes with it when you buy it sim free? If so what size?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Yeah, i don't have a problem waiting a couple of weeks or a month for the hero once it's here before September....got a lot of travelling to do! Is there an SD Card that comes with it when you buy it sim free? If so what size?
    I assume a 2gb but you can buy an 8gb off amazon for about 10-15 if even

OK so I called phones4u in Mewry today to see if they were getting the hero. Said they weren't sure and tried to flog me the HTC Magic. I've seen demos of it on youtube and I don't think I want it, looks too bulky and it just isn't appealing for me. I've been looking on clove and expansys UK and they'll deliver it to me in Ireland for €480 or so. Did someone mention here that there was a phone outlet in NI that would be stocking the hero when it does eventually arrive. Should i just go for it now with Clove or should I take the risk and buy it in NI (if) when it becomes available and maybe save myself the 20 euro or so delivery charge? What yas think?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

The n97 is pretty great! You would HAVE to consider it.

Tarakiwa wrote: »
    The n97 is pretty great! You would HAVE to consider it.

I did consider N97 until I saw the price! If it was 100 euro less expensive i'd buy it!

I did consider N97 until I saw the price! If it was 100 euro less expensive i'd buy it!

Wait till its for sale with the networks

Davy wrote: »
    Wait till its for sale with the networks

you think it will be easy to unlock?

• Advertisement

towel401 wrote: »
    you think it will be easy to unlock?

Nothing is impossible :pac:

Advertisement