Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ARW just a few questions

• 15-07-2009 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

hey there guys and gals,
    i just have a few questions on the ARW.
    what does it take to join?
    how fit do you have to be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

hey there guys and gals,
    what does it take to join??

You have to be in the DF

Very

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

hey there guys and gals,

Fittness?... eh very??.. i mean how fit do u think u have to be for any special forces?

As for joining just survive the small hurdle of selection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

There is no point in giving any info unless your a member of the PDF firstly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

hey there guys and gals,

If you have to ask, then you're not ARW material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

if your looking for answers to your questions that dont involve dismissive quick put downs check out this site. http://www.fianoglach.ie/

But yes you do need to be very very fit! Those lads are machines. Interesting connect article on prepping for ARW selection that popped up on this forum a while back. If your ar$€d searching for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

Thanks BigDuffman i went looking for it but i couldn't find it =P

prinz
    how do you know I'm not ARW material you don't know me.

:MOD sorry for the off topic!

Thanks BigDuffman i went looking for it but i couldn't find it =P
    prinz
    how do you know I'm not ARW material you don't know me.
    :MOD sorry for the off topic!

(a) Because you have to already be in the Defence Forces and (b) somebody in the Defence Forces would know what it takes to join and how fit you have to be, and wouldn't be on here looking for advice.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but appears to me you're asking how to get on the highest rung of the ladder, while your standing to the side. Whereas it's easy to see how to get there when you're already on the ladder to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

yes i know where your coming from but all i want to know is what does it take to be in the ARW because then if i did get into the army then i could try out for it.

From what I've heard if you have claustrophobia I'd start working on overcoming it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Helpful posts only please, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

No harm in asking Prinz...Isn't that the general idea of the forum? Even for those just seeking knowledge to satisfy their own interests. I really can not understand some peoples insistence on putting down / dismissing anyone who is merely asking questions.

Particularly asking questions that are already answered in the public domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

I never came across the Fiannoglach website before, quite interesting actually. One paragraph caused me a bit of wry amusement.
    As part of the ongoing training the Unit conducts interchanges with Special Forces and Intervention Groups among which are The Royal Dutch Marines, the French GIGN, the Italian CIS, the German GSG9 and the Swedish SSG.
    Half of Europe it seems, but never that other well known special forces. Are we expected to believe there have never been 'interchanges' with the particular special forces unit? It's funny how sensitive we still are about that kind of thing. Need to know basis, I suppose.

There is mention of training courses in the UK of course but never with 'that' other unit.

Incidentally, I read a comment recently about an exercise involving British troops and ARW which took place in the UK. It wasn't that flattering I'm afraid. To be fair, I suspect things have changed since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Need to know basis, I suppose. QUOTE]

And we don't need to know. :p Course they do.

Hey, question, what colour is the fridge in the boathouse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

iceage wrote: »
    Hey, question, what colour is the fridge in the boathouse?

"what colour is the boathouse at Hertfordshire?"

I know, I'm brilliant.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

No mate. The fridge.. the fridge..where they keep the beer! :p

Hertfordshire?"
    Hereford actually or 'heerefid' as DeNiro pronounced it.

Good film, Ronin that was the one big flaw in it. I mean what Irish dissident group would hire an SAS man ex or otherwise? Slightly implausible.

It's silver actually, don't ask me how I know.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

prinz wrote: »

I hate readin this kind of macho bollox on military forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I know a few ARW members that joind from our Batallion, one passed selection and agreed that it wasnt his cuppa tea so he is back in the barracks. you have to be extremely fit both body and mind. i was thinking about going for selection but i dont think it would be my cuppa tea either, you'd have to be mad into it and dont fancy a commute to the Curragh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭D-Boy

Ive seen pics of arw with sas in jungles (cant say where i saw pics though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

prinz wrote: »

Obviously he's not, cause asking questions is such a bad thing these days :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I know a few ARW members that joind from our Batallion, one passed selection and agreed that it wasnt his cuppa tea so he is back in the barracks. you have to be extremely fit both body and mind. i was thinking about going for selection but i dont think it would be my cuppa tea either, you'd have to be mad into it and dont fancy a commute to the Curragh.

You don't need to be "mad into it" to give the Wing a bash, that's something all the wasters in Units say. Being good at your job does not equal being "mad into it".

hey there guys and gals,

You need to be on the ball when it comes to your actual job and getting Overseas will help you as they prefer people with a bit of experience. If you're switched on, good at what you do and have a good head on your shoulders, they'll take care of the rest.

As for fitness, obviously enough your fitness has to be top drawer but that's something you can worry about once you finish training.

Before worrying about the ARW, worry about getting into the Army and making it through training and moving onto life in whatever Unit you end up in. Don't aim too far ahead mate, set yourself short targets and take things as they come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

+1 You need to have the right state of mind and get fit fit fit - above all be a good soldier.... good soldiering is what its about and the mental will to see what ever it is, through. If you can get the mind through the body will follow. Being 'mad into it' i dunno, i think selection weeds out 'sf wing wannabies' so make sure your motives are right before tryin...

Poccington wrote: »
    Obviously he's not, cause asking questions is such a bad thing these days :rolleyes:

Great addition. And then you go on to give exactly the same advice as I gave.... Perhaps you missed the point I was trying to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

D-Boy wrote: »
    Ive seen pics of arw with sas in jungles (cant say where i saw pics though)
    :rolleyes:

arwbelisecopyty7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Interesting choice of weapons there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Craigsy wrote: »
    Interesting choice of weapons there

not really, wherever they are and whatever they're doing they're doing it with UK support - damn sight easier, quicker and less obvious for a bunch of blokes to get on a plane without weapons and ammunition than with it. just pick it up when you get there.

whenever UK forces travel to train in the US they use US weapons, same in reverse.

Interesting picture, Belize, obviously, based on the fact that particular helicopter is based there for the last six years. Which of course answers my original question.

I have to say if I served in the PDF. I almost certainly would have gone forward for ARW selection. Not for any walter mitty gung ho reason but simply because it must be some of the most interesting soldiering in the defence forces.

A friend went forward for ARW selection but washed out. He claimed he had injured his back but..........well maybe he did. I suspect a similar fate would have awaited me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Interesting picture, Belize, obviously, based on the fact that particular helicopter is based there for the last six years. Which of course answers my original question.

I have to say if I served in the PDF. I almost certainly would have gone forward for ARW selection. Not for any walter mitty gung ho reason but simply because it must be some of the most interesting soldiering in the defence forces.

A friend went forward for ARW selection but washed out. He claimed he had injured his back but..........well maybe he did. I suspect a similar fate would have awaited me.

And if you look at the filename of the photo it is arwbelize.

• Advertisement

Never thought of that LOL:D. That would have been too easy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

OS119 wrote: »
    not really, wherever they are and whatever they're doing they're doing it with UK support - damn sight easier, quicker and less obvious for a bunch of blokes to get on a plane without weapons and ammunition than with it. just pick it up when you get there.

whenever UK forces travel to train in the US they use US weapons, same in reverse.

There doing a course with thew BA. There was an article in n Cosantóir about it the fella taking the pic was PDF but not ARW but was on the same course. Rest of the course were regular BA from what I remember of the article. Thats why there using Brit rifles.

Advertisement