Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would skip affect an Acars signal?

• 15-07-2009 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I have just picked up a map hit on acars using the Airnav acars software and it is showing up just off JFK airport in America. I have regulary heard of people picking up the States on cb if the conditions are right so I am wondering if it would have the same effect on an Acars signal. I have had map plots before in the summer months as far as the south of France and even Greece before but never this distance. Has any one got any ideas or could it just be a miscode?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's not impossible, but extremely unlikely. ACARS is VHF in the 130MHz band (top of Air Band, just below Weather satellites). CB is 27MHz.

You would more easily hear US Domestic FM Radio BandII (88 .. 104MHZ) first if there was such extraordinary conditions.

The most likely explanation is an error.

http://www.acarsd.org/ACARS_frequencies.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 neil-c

Thanks Watty, Airnav does seem to have a couple of bugs when it comes to the map plots but the thing that threw me was according to Airnav the aircraft was routed to JFK otherwise I`d have ignored it straight away. Got to admit it did look too good to be true though lol

Advertisement