Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Saithne Balbriggan

Options
  • 15-07-2009 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Was out for a walk with the dog the other day and came across access to Dun Saithne off Hamlet Lane. Never realised you could get in this way.
    They had a really nice playground so was saying to b/f should bring his son down to it some day.

Just back from the playground there and I have never in my life seen kids as wild as the ones in the playground. They were cursing,throwing rocks at each other, spitting on each other,using racist remarks against each other and most of them couldn't have been more than 8 or 9.

There was a lovely little kid up there with a speech impediment who was following us around talking to us. He seemed to act quite childish for his age. I seen him get kicked and pushed off things by the other kids and not one child was playing with him. I felt like crying when I got home. He told me they always fight with him but he didnt seem to mind too much.

Not saying where I live is perfect by any means, but would hate to see these kids in a few years and what they will turn out to be, also not happy that this estate is so near where I live as to me its total dump.

Also there were other parents in playground who didn't seem to bat an eyelid at the way kids were acting,I'm only 26 so not exactly an 'auld biddy' but these parents were in their late 30's and didn't say anything to their kids for acting like little shi*s...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The houses there were sold under the affordable housing initative so I am very suprised.
    I say this because the majority of the houses would be owner occupied.
    They are lovely houses too:)
    It is a shame that you experienced kids like this but unfortunately it seems to be this area in general,there are some lovely kids but I have witnessed people treating their kids in ways that I would not treat mine and if this is what they are learning from I am not suprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

that is sad that you witnessed that, the poor little boy, and it is wrong that the parents didnt say anything to the kids, what hope have the kids got in life if they are not being shown proper guidance on how to behave from their parents

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Moonbeam wrote: »
    The houses there were sold under the affordable housing initative so I am very suprised.
    I say this because the majority of the houses would be owner occupied.
    They are lovely houses too:)
    It is a shame that you experienced kids like this but unfortunately it seems to be this area in general,there are some lovely kids but I have witnessed people treating their kids in ways that I would not treat mine and if this is what they are learning from I am not suprised.

I think a lot of the houses in that estate are actually social houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

It's a mix.
    Dun Saithne View (houses on the Flemington Lane) are Affordable Housing Initiative, houses within the Dun Saithne estate, are a mix of social and Affordable Housing Scheme.

My experience has been, like anywhere there is a mix.
    I've seen some of the children as described by suzieb, I've also had children knock on the door to see if there was anyone inside who wanted to come out and play.
    I've encountered more friendly/nice children in the area than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Sadly around 80% of the houses are social (council) housing. A relative lives in there and she is trying to get out asap. Not a nice place to be honest.

Windows getting smashed in, car tyres getting slashed etc. One major family in there, their pic was in the Hearald around the same time as the pub on the main street was in the paper :rolleyes: gave their full address with their picture too :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 billy1

It is so depressing to hear the experiences people have witnessed on the estate, both people living there and visitors.

I live in the estate which has a very active residents association which I am a member of. We have attempted to tackle issues of anti social behaviour with assistance from the Council and the gardai. Unfortunately, you cannot do much for the parents or Ill rephrase that the so called parents, who do not care less about anyone but themselves, and they have begun to use the playground to dump, yes you read right, dump their children there as at least they do not have to occupy them, when the playground will do that for them.

We have highlighted the racist insults and bullying which has gone on several times and I personally spoke to one woman who was moved to tears at the racist attacks being made against her children when they were out playing in the estate.

Unfortunately, when parents in the playground have corrected "children", one got a kick in the face from a "child", so I know its easy to say that individual parents should intervene, but would you?

Generally, in my experience living in this estate, there are a minority, very small minority of scum who are hellbent on making the estate theres, they will try and do what they like and they will not be told what to do by anyone, be it fellow residents, council or gardai. The majority are very friendly, decent people who have brought new life to the area and are determined to enjoy there time in the estate.

So to finish, I would urge the majority to get involved in the residents association, in the estate and as a large group we will force the scum into the boxes they have come from and we will show them, the council and all others that we the residents of Dun Saithne will not put up with this behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

Good luck with your endeavours billy1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Wat part of Balbriggan is that exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

North, on Flemington Lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Snap Crackle

I am a resident in Dun Saithne Crescent and in the past couple of weeks I have experienced anti social behaviour in the playground at night time. Last night at 11pm I approached about 10 teenagers in the playground and asked them to please reduce the noise as people are trying to sleep. One was on a bike, the other had a dog, two on skates and the rest trying to break the large swing! The response I received was both agressive and abusive! I proceeded to telephone the Garda station in Balbriggan.
    Like all my neighbours on the Crescent we are all delighted to see the playground available for positive recreation for the children. But I totally object when it is attracting anti-social behaviour.
    I have contacted the Estate Management section in Fingal County Council to highlight this, and Ray Conway who promoted this playground.
    I saved long and hard to acquire my home, and I am very happy and content living there, with great neighbours on the Crescent, AND I AM NOT GOING TO ACCEPT ANTI-SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR OF THIS KIND.
    I ask all residents on the Crescent to contact Fingal County Council and the Garda Station in Balbriggan to inform them of our unacceptance of such behaviour! Thank You.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

Suzy B - not nice to brand the entire estate a dump based on one bad experience in the playground.
    Granted there are some little FUkkers in there sometimes ,but it should also be said that it has served as a magnet for the general area not just Dun Saithne.
    Lots o people not happy about the playground myself included - you should see the lazy fat parents drive literally yards up the road to collect ther kids and not even bother to get out of their cars.The same C*nts will tell you that the "kids have nothing to do around here" as if that was someone elses fault.
    I live here and its grand,but like everywhere there are a few "Bogeys".
    I challenge anyone to say that there aren't in their own area.
    Norhdubgal I presume that you were talking about the "john D's" riot when you refer to the "major family ", for the record- one (female )from dun saithne was involved along with other relatives from all around the Balbriggan area - they might even live near some of you people.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0505/breaking31.html?via=mr

Billy - fair play any chance these things can be sorted out face to face with the council???

Unfortunately some residents have experienced anti social behaviour within the estate, but we all must agree that most of the residents are honest and decent people. A small minority of individuals who participate in anti social behaviour are trying to destroy the community in which we all live in.
    Well as a resident on the crescent, I for one, am not going to let these dysfunctional individuals do this, we are all entitled to live and enjoy the homes in which we reside, and deserve peace and quiet and have a right to feel safe in our homes!
    With the assistance of Fingal Co Co and the community Garda in Balbriggan these individuals will be singled out and dealt with appropriately!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

I think as with some of estates in balbriggan all it takes is a few bad eggs to ruin it for the rest and agree that it is unfair to tar all the residents with the same brush, and as the saying goes most people dont sh**t on their own doorstep they go to other estates to

I have met some very nice residents in Dun Saithne, and I am very lucky to have very good neighbours. Most of the children are very well behaved and respect the community in which we live. The playground is a great amenity for small children who really enjoy the facility.
    But I have witnessed bullies in the playground who want nothing more than to upset and destruct, and cause as much anti social behaviour as possible. We all know who you are!!

Their days are numbered, because the majority of residents who are honest, decent living people are not going to tolerate this sort of behaviour!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Hey,

I saw a few ads on the property websites for the Dun Saithne development. The houses look great and very large, as well as being at an affordable price, which would lead me to believe however that they are priced at that level due to elements of trouble and anti-social behaviour there.

Having grown up in Blanchardstown and now renting in East Wall I am well used to anti-social behaviour and would be buying on my own as I am single and dont have kids, so I just wanted to see if those living on the estate would recommend buying there and are there any estates to avoid?

I work in the city centre but house prices near the city are still too much for buying on my own.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

EF wrote: »
    ...which would lead me to believe however that they are priced at that level due to elements of trouble and anti-social behaviour there.
    I don't think that property prices are adjusted to factor in perceived anti-social elements in the locality.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I don't think that property prices are adjusted to factor in perceived anti-social elements in the locality.

Im not sure I agree, with the difference in prices for similar sized properties throughout Dublin, but given that these houses in Dun Saithne seem to be all affordable houses the price would be reduced in any case I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

seanos wrote:
    Dun Saithne View (houses on the Flemington Lane) are Affordable Housing Initiative, houses within the Dun Saithne estate, are a mix of social and Affordable Housing Scheme.

Maybe this is why they are reasonably priced.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Maybe this is why they are reasonably priced.

In ten years time the value of the properties in the estate would be different depending on whether there are a lot of boarded up houses, graffiti everywhere, broken pavements, a delapidated playground with locked gates, regular drug busts etc. or if there is a vibrant, strong community with great facitilities and no tolerance for anti social behaviour.

The value of the property is not what concerns me, what does concern me is reading posts from 2006 right up to the present day about ongoing anti-social behaviour and not even being able to get a decent nights sleep. It would be a pity if the problems are not nipped in the bud because the developments seems to have great potential, from an outsider looking in

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

I grew up in Balbriggan, after living there for 25 or so years I had a child of my own, that is when I left. Balbriggan IMO is overpopulated & this will inevitably brings with it it's fair share of anti-social groups. Everyone I know that is from the town originally has no problem in admitting that it has gone downhill during the boom.

I now live in a smaller town that we call "Balbriggan 15 years ago" lol.

I did work in a school in Balbriggan & the class sizes are incredible. After having my baby I knew that I didn't want that for my child. Unfortunately Balbriggan is in Dublin which makes it very appealing to people moving out of the city. To find a smaller & quieter place to live I had to move out of Co. Dublin but I don't regret it for a moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

EF wrote: »
    Hey,

I saw a few ads on the property websites for the Dun Saithne development. The houses look great and very large, as well as being at an affordable price, which would lead me to believe however that they are priced at that level due to elements of trouble and anti-social behaviour there.

proof that you shouldn't believe the photos supplied by estate agents.

They are quite small houses actually - quite a small living room, ok kitchen, bedrooms not exactly large. But a good starter home for a small family or couple trying to get on the ladder. and the reason for the low price is because Fingal over estimated the demand for affordable houses and now that they are stuck with them they just want rid and money back. this is why they are priced low. Fingal also have a number of properties in neighbouring estates (clonuske, new haven etc). for those who have a chip on their shoulder about 'social housing' bear this in mind - some clonuske residents paid €300k for properties and their neighbours are renters from fingal - fingal were given a certain number of properties at cost in return for planning. so there is no guarantee that you will not be next to a 'social' houser - and similarly no guarantee that social means scumbag! plenty of people are living next to social residents and not aware of it.

At the end of the day, people with no respect for their homes need to be made feel in the minority - social or otherwise. my friends neighbour paid a fortune for their house and its still like a tip, with spewing bins outside the front door - they are not social, just dirty antisocial beggers!

as residents, with pride in our homes we all need to start establishing a sense of community and care for our homes. only then will the bad element get the idea that they are not welcome.

I bought an affordable house in Dun Saithne in 2006. This development is a mixture of affordable and social housing, and to be very honest it does not work. There is a huge amount of anti social behaviour. The market price for these houses in now lower than we actually paid for them in 2006 at the affordable price.
    Dont purchase in this estate, I am devastated after investing in my home and spending so much money. I love the house and my garden, but dont like what is on my doorstep.
    Stay away and purchase in another development or area. I hope to move somewhere and rent, and place this house up for rent, otherwise I am seriously considering just handing the key back to Fingal Co Co.
    Hindsight is great, but I would not go near this estate now!!

Its pretty remarkable the difference in posts here about the estate. The houses seem great anyway but the high level of anti social behaviour is worrying. I dont know if the new phase in Dun Saithne Green is all affordable or a mix of made up of affordable/private/social housing?

I would love to live near a beach but could do without gangs of anti social youths hanging around outside the house if that is what's ahead

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think the houses are lovely and nice and big for 2 bedrooms.
    I bought a private 2 bed and mine is not as nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

I dont have any personal experience of this particular estate but Balbriggan itself is a grand place to live. I moved here from Dublin city 9 years ago and as regards crime and anti social behaviour in general I find the town compares fine with anywhere I have lived.

The reason for the drop in the prices is just the same as why they have dropped in the market in general - I would hate to think what my house has dropped since 2006. Fingal County Council, like most councils, have a large number of houses which they built during the boom to be sold under the affordable housing scheme. They need to get rid of them as soon as possible as they cost a fortune and therefore the prices have dropped. Dun Saithne is just an example of this.

Like I said I dont live in that estate and maybe the anti social behaviour is bad. I dont know. What an estate like that needs is for the right people to buy under the Affordable scheme and contribute to a proper future for the estate. If too many people are put off buying by the negative publicity in forums like this, then the estate will have no future. There are no guarantees in relation to neighbours, no matter where you buy, or how much you pay.

I have contacted Fingal Co Co, the Garda in Balbriggan and as many local councillors as I could over the past few months about the anti social behaviour in the Dun Saithne development, the Resident's Association are working very hard to eliminate this form of behaviour.
    But I did not purchase a house, after saving long and hard, and having great pride in my home and garden to fight anti social behaviour!!
    I deserve to reside in a peaceful and safe neighbourhood, I have fantastic neighbours, but a small minority of people in the development are causing so much disturbance to the rest of us!
    Fingal Co Co would like for the anti social behaviour in Dun Saithne to go away like a bad smell, their denial and avoidance is very evident.
    Dun Saithne is a very nice development with nice houses and green area, its not the development, but some of the residents who cause the trouble!
    The playground that Fingal Co Co constructed on the green area is nothing but a magnet for anti social behaviour, and great disburtance at night for the residents on the crescent. But they refuse to remove it, as it is suppose to be for the greater good of the community, I dont agree when I cant get asleep at night, dont think you would either!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

EF,

I started this thread and looking back now I probably shouldnt have branded the whole estate a dump.
    It is not a dump at all but I have walked through it a lot since my first post and I have to say that things around the playground on the crescent side seem crazy with the kids and that, and the estate looks quite run down considering its fairly new. This to me is the councils problem and they should look about tidying up the estate in general which the council has left very unfinished looking.

You've heard from residents on this estate giving their opinion too so maybe listen to what they are saying.

My advice would be to take a trip out to the estate any evening around 8pm to get an idea of it first hand,thats what I done before buying my house and I got a real feel for the area after doing this several times.
    Balbriggan is great place to live,close to the city and close to the sea and countryside. I love it here and plan on staying here to raise kids as I think the area offers a huge amount of activities for children.

suzie

Everyone opinions of the place vary:)

Well I am sure that all the residents on the Crescent think the exact same about the playground on their doorstep, it is a magnet for anti social behaviour and at night attracts groups who are destructive and cause as much disturbance as possible into the early hours of the night!
    All was fine on the crescent before this playground was built, and the council insist that it is for the greater good of the community!
    I for one did not purchase a house to put up with this type of behaviour, I am aware there is other anti social behaviour in the development, but it does not keep all the residents on the crescent from getting their well deserved night's sleep!
    You cannot sell, because property of this type would not sell, and at present phase 2 is been sold on the open market for less that we paid at an affordable price in 2006!!
    Three houses are up for sale on the crescent because of the anti social behaviour, and many others are renting to get away from the whole situation!
    And I will be one of them very shortly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

I Have lived here for over 2 years having bought my house under the affordable housing scheme, and as I said earlier I believe it is fine. The layout of the estate is good, not too built up, houses are lovely , well built and nice size, I Personally have had no first hand experience of anti social behaviour within the estate. Most of what’s been mentioned here (By Snap crackle ) I believe refers to an ongoing Issue with the Kids Playground on the green area at Dunsaithne crescent.(which is where i live)
    This playground should never have been placed so close to the houses in a residential area such as this. At present it is not locked after dark, which occasionally means that it’s a focal point for older kids to pass through / hang around and make noise. I believe that this is a problem (not a crisis) and that this problem can and will be solved.
    (In my opinion there has already been a noticeable improvement to this situation in recent times)

When you have lots of people living together in close quarters you are always going to have some problems because people have different lifestyles ,opinions , circumstances, cultures etc , (this is no excuse for behaving like a Tw*t but you have to remember that what you might find acceptable might be objectionable in the next person’s eyes ).

I have no doubt that there are some “bogeys” in the area but no more than you would find anywhere else. All my neighbours are sound, lovely decent people and you stand a much better chance of getting neighbours like this than you do bad ones but it’s still a chance you take when you move into a new house no matter where it is.
    I used to rent an apartment in Northwood and the biggest scumbag in the whole building was the owner occupier of a €750,000 Penthouse.
    The houses currently for sale are in a completely different part of the estate by the way.
    I believe that the current housing price slump has rendered the affordable housing scheme somewhat obsolete and the lower prices reflect that fact.this is a bummer to those of us that bought houses in 2006 but anyone who bought a house anywhere in 2006 will be going through the same.
    There are some people i know who could now buy 2 or 3 properties on their mortgages.

@snapcrackle in my opinion : posting on here aint gonna solve the problem and its probably counterproductive - (more so to you if you are trying to sell your house) if there is such a groundswell of opinion against the playground its time we did something amongst ourselves instead of all this.:pac:

@suzyb i would say "half built" rather than "run down" one half of the green has nice green grass and the other was never planted at all - LAZY BUILDERS

Advertisement