Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Saithne Balbriggan

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Snap Crackle

Kingsize you are probably right, Dun Saithne Crescent is a very nice place to reside, and I too have fantastic neighbours. I love my house and garden and enjoy the convenience to all transport modes, the M1 and all services in Balbriggan.
    Unfortunately since the installation of the playground the neighbourhood is no longer peaceful and quiet, it was placed far too near to our homes. I have made contact several times with officials in Fingal Co Co about the disturbance at night time, but alas nothing seems to have changed.
    Fingal Co Co did inform me that the Residents Association in Dun Saithne wish for the playground to stay as it is for the greater good of the community!
    It would be a very good idea if the Residents Association asked the residents on the crescent if they felt the same way.
    I feel very frustrated at the noise levels and the disturbances from the playground, but it is a great facility for young children.
    I asked Fingal Co Co would they please raise the railings and gate so it could be locked at night, and place spot lights around it to prevent loitering.
    Their answer is Joint Policing, so at this stage I have washed my hands of it, and just hope that the dark and cold evenings will prevent this anti social behaviour.
    I am very proud of my neighbourhood, and I aint going to let a few destroy it for me and all the other decent residents in the vicinity!
    Thanks Kingsize.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dq29

ok just read all your posts , im moving to dun saithne avenue in few weeks and am now v nervous hope its not that bad . im a single mum with two young boys and they fell in love with thenplayground when they saw it hope its safe place to play . i do agree that all it takes is a few bad eggs to ruin a place but all the rest of the good nice people have to stand firm together its only way . if anyone has any advice for me id really appreciate it thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 billy1

My advice is to get involved in the residents association who have hard working determined people who are hell bent on dealing with the issues which have arisen.

Put your energies into constructive action, don't just highlight the problems and wash your hands of them. Get involved, community action is the only way to tackle the issues.

Email the committee to get involved at dunsaithne@live.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dq29

ill do that as soon as i move thank you . in meantime im dealin with the impossible task of trying to get a place for my son in school so far everywhere ive tried is full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 marigo

hi

I just paid deposit,and going to buy a house in Dun Saithne Green.After many years of renting,and sending money to landlord's pocket,decided to buy own home.
    I have read many opinions about this area,and some of them are good and some are not....,hope this area is ok for family with 2 small kids?

• Advertisement

billy1 wrote: »
    My advice is to get involved in the residents association who have hard working determined people who are hell bent on dealing with the issues which have arisen.

Put your energies into constructive action, don't just highlight the problems and wash your hands of them. Get involved, community action is the only way to tackle the issues.

Email the committee to get involved at dunsaithne@live.ie
    Hi billy1! I just read your posts from 2006 ( when you bought a house)
    Now I will wait for fingal's actions (affordable housing).Nice to see, there is a recidents association .After living in Dublin with all atacks for my kids we dream to be closer with all community and feel ourselfs like part of whole community,not like unwanted Polish strangers.
    We have a plan to be very happy there:)

dq29 wrote: »
    ill do that as soon as i move thank you . in meantime im dealin with the impossible task of trying to get a place for my son in school so far everywhere ive tried is full

let me know what's about the school? I'll look for too,for my son...
    I saw the Educate Together school and hoped to place him there....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are about 7 primary schools in Balbriggan.
    You wil get a place in 1 of them, but do start ringing now.
    We are moving house I rang the school my little girl is gonig to go to in 2013 and they said she would go on the waiting list!!!

Moonbeam wrote: »
    There are about 7 primary schools in Balbriggan.
    You wil get a place in 1 of them, but do start ringing now.
    We are moving house I rang the school my little girl is gonig to go to in 2013 and they said she would go on the waiting list!!!

:eek: waiting list??? O lord!!! My son is in 2nd class now, and can't have break in school....he has 1st communion on May.don't know when mowing out from Dublin yet.....
    It can be complication.....:(
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has moved into the new phase yet? This whole living with the parents while waiting to get the keys is not easy! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 EmiliaK

Hi all,

I just wanted to say that I have lived in this estate for the past 2 and a half years, and am very happy here. I want to congratulate all the new owners of the houses on the green, to welcome them to the estate, and to say I hope they will be as happy here as I have been.

I find it a very family oriented estate, and am lucky to have very nice neighbours, a lovely house and garden and a place I look forward to coming home to.

Best of luck.:)

EmiliaK wrote: »
    Hi all,

I just wanted to say that I have lived in this estate for the past 2 and a half years, and am very happy here. I want to congratulate all the new owners of the houses on the green, to welcome them to the estate, and to say I hope they will be as happy here as I have been.

I find it a very family oriented estate, and am lucky to have very nice neighbours, a lovely house and garden and a place I look forward to coming home to.

Best of luck.:)

It's so nice to see posts like yours.I can't wait to get there.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭sugark

I am three years living on the estate and have loved it. Probably because I'm on the View and facing onto Flemington Lane, I haven't witnessed any anti-social behaviour, and am very sorry to hear that it takes place.

I'm glad to see that the poster who labelled it a dump retracted that statement - I work fierce hard, as domy neighbours, to keep their houses and immediate areas nice and tidy. And although it's only Saturday or Sunday morning that I would walk near the playground, from what I've seen everyone who lives there does the same. Regarding the amount of social housing, a significant majority of those people who were given social housing in the original Dun Saithne have since purchased the houses, according to information I heard from Fingal County Council.

However, as I said, I live on the View and never hear a sound. But this thread has definitely inspired me to get in touch with the Residents Association to do my bit because we plan on living in Balbriggan a long time and hope these threads become a thing of the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 IrishJet43

Hi all, I have sat here reading all viewpoints and I want to put my two cents in.

Firstly to Snap Crackle, I really dont know how to take on board your comments. You state that you are dying to get out of the area and move away, you go on to slate the estate and the people that live there yet in your last statement you said and I quote "Kingsize you are probably right, Dun Saithne Crescent is a very nice place to reside, and I too have fantastic neighbours. I love my house and garden and enjoy the convenience to all transport modes, the M1 and all services in Balbriggan." This to me is a complete turn about and you were either just jumping on the band wagon of slatting the estate or you do not actually believe the words that you wrote in the last post. Im not having a go I just dont like seeing people making comments that are untrue.

Secondly. I went to view a property in the new section a forthnight ago and went back with my family last saturday. I put a deposit on the house and pending my mortgage approval and application to the council hope to have completed in the early new year.

I have visited the estate at night several times just driving the area, and have yet to see any anti social behaviour. Further more I love the idea of the park for young kids as it looks to be the best park in Balbriggan with the exception of Ardgillen, (and yes i have seen them all). I also have seen community support Ban Guara walking the beat in the area. This to me is a good sign as it shows there is protection in the area. (the only time i would have a problem with this is if the squad cars with flashing ligts were constantly called to investigate something)

So to all my potential new neighbours. I wish ypu all the best with the moves and welcome to Balbriggan, I will add information about schools later for the new familys and if you have any questions you can contact me directly.

Regards,

M....

Quick question. The water systems for these houses are gravity fed right rather than mains fed or pressurised? Just sussing out shower options.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

EF wrote: »
    Quick question. The water systems for these houses are gravity fed right rather than mains fed or pressurised? Just sussing out shower options.
    Correct me if im wrong but all houses are mains fed to an upstairs tank ,which anything after that connected to the tank is gravity fed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 EmiliaK

IrishJet43, thank you for your post. Snapcrackle's experience of the estate does not mirror mine in the slightest, but I know there were problems with the playground initially that should not have been ignored and did upset families on the crescent - this wont be an issue in the new houses as they are far enough away from it not to be disturbed. The novelty seems to have worn off now anyway, and all is peaceful again as far as I can see.
    As Kingsize said the problem was fixable anyway, and I would like to thank the Gardai for their prompt response on the nights when there were people loitering after dark. I have not seen this happen in many months.

Congrats on the purchase! I wish to reiterate that I have been nothing but happy here for nearly 3 years now and for the record, live on the crescent.

As you observed, there is always a reassuring garda presence in the area that is preventative as opposed to having to come up and solve problems - I have yet to see any anti-social behaviour on this estate with the exception of the initial playground issues (which we always knew would happen!!), and that is the truth.

Congrats again to all, and we look forward to having our new neighbours join us in Dun Saithne :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

An old thread I know folks but the lady and myself are considering a place on the Green. How has it worked out for you guys- are you happy? What's the quality of the houses like? I was a little concerned to hear that the houses were of timber frame construction as to me a house would be built from concrete and bricks! Is this a problem or not? What's noise like between connecting houses? Can you hear your neighbours between the walls or not? I see from reading over on neighbours.ie that there had been issues with the kids being unruly/noisy. Has this been resolved?

An old thread I know folks but the lady and myself are considering a place on the Green. How has it worked out for you guys- are you happy? What's the quality of the houses like? I was a little concerned to hear that the houses were of timber frame construction as to me a house would be built from concrete and bricks! Is this a problem or not? What's noise like between connecting houses? Can you hear your neighbours between the walls or not? I see from reading over on neighbours.ie that there had been issues with the kids being unruly/noisy. Has this been resolved?

I've been in the Green about 9 months anyway and haven't had any problems. The houses are timber frame but the walls are thick and there is plenty (a hell of a lot) of insulation. It's easy to heat the house and never really hear a thing through the walls.
    There are a lot of kids around alright but they are young. The green is a bit away from the playground too so you don't get the noise from that here either. For the price they are going for they are a good purchase in my opinion! Feel free to pm if you want to ask anything more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

And we're in! :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Welcome! :)

Advertisement