Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Tefl Things that have been on my Mind (insert help here)

Options
  • 15-07-2009 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

I have been doing some research and a few questions concerning doing tefl abroad have popped up. If anyone has any usefull help and/or advice your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about the i-to-i online tefl course? ie is it really internationally recognised... I have just finished a 4 year honours degree course in English, in which I obtained a 2.1. Also I have about a years experience in doing grinds for foreign people in Grammar and experience giving grinds for 2nd level English. Would these combined with the online course and a sister who is a teacher who said she will help me with my lesson plans enough???:confused:

I'm thinking about doing this abroad next year, preferably in Asia. Does anyone have any advice on which country would be the best to visit in terms of salary and overall cultural experience and overall living costs?

I'm thinking of doing a h-dip in education the year after this and was wondering would this increase my chances towards becoming a secondary school English teacher or does it really matter?

Any other comments or replies that stray from these things I have been running through my head would also be appreciated as I feel the more research I get done the better.

Cheers,

Owlwink...:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

I did a TEFL course about seven/eight years ago with the International TEFL College of Ireland (ITCI) in Merrion Square. The course was ok, but they had advertised that they would help you out with work experience which was a total lie. I think they just wanted to take the money and run! A good few TEFL courses are like that in my opinion.
    I don't know if it's the same now, but back then you had to have 100 hours of a TEFL course done in order for the cert to be valid. I really don't think it matters which course you do as long as you have your hours. I've never heard of one course beeing recognised over another.
    If you're planning to go to Japan, you don't necessarily have to have a TEFL* done, a degree is all you need (which you already have) to be able to do TEFL there.
    I spent a year in Japan teaching English, and I had far less under my belt when I went than you have right now. You've loads of experience, and really big up your English degree...they'd be delighted to have your experience! As for secondary teaching, anything related to teaching will help you get onto the course, shows how interested you are. It's also nice to say 'I spent a year teaching in Asia', rather than the run of the mill 'I spent a year in Australia'!

Oh and costs in Japan wouldn't be as high as you'd think (if you're not in Tokyo!). I spent my time in a city about an hours train ride from Osaka. Travel costs were fine, just one fifth of my salary went on rent; rice, bread, fruit and veg were very expensive though. Cycled to/from work, was able to buy a brand new bike for 60 euro. 500 yen for a pint of beer which was about 3.50 in euros. Eating out was cheap too. The 100 yen shop was my personal temple....you could get anything there for, you guessed it, 100 yen!

That's all I can think of for the moment.....

*I went to Japan five years ago, the TEFL situation might've changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'd agree with everything Warfi said.

You will have plenty of good stuff on your resume when you actually get the TEFL certificate - more than enough to find a job in a place like Japan (as long as jobs are available, that is). I spent 7 years there and got a cert only towards the end of that time. Most of the teachers I worked with had less on their resume than you'll have.

That said, I don't know much about i-to-i. If they are approved by MEI / RELSA, that's a good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Warfi and osarusan thanks very much for your well informed responses. It is great to here some feedback from people who have so much experience under their belts. I'll definitely make sure that any tefl I end up doing is internationally recognised. I think one of the most important things to do to get the best out of it is to do as much research as possible. I think Japan would be the city for me because my girlfriend already has family there and I have done alot of reading on their social, political and cultural history for my thesis. This can't have anything but positive connotations. But the advice on living outside the central regions sounds good. Oh how good a bike ride through Japanese countryside sounds right now. My friends are there at the moment and they have been teasing me with such pics for a few weeks now.

Better finish up my waffle.
    Thanks for giving me some information to chew on...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

owlwink wrote: »
    Oh how good a bike ride through Japanese countryside sounds right now.

Be careful of this image of Japan! I got a shock when I landed....the area I was in was quite industrial. Those zen-like photos of Japan are very closely cropped :pac:. People are allowed to build their houses where ever they want (even in heritage areas) as long as the building isn't taller than any other building in the area. I flew home via Heathrow and I was like a child on the plane pointing out all the green grass at the airport. The people beside me were enamoured I'm sure :p.
    I still had a fantastic time (despite missing open spaces). As I'm sure you know, the Japanese culture is very curious. I think it's because it's a small country with a huge population (think New Zealand with a population of 130,000,000!) and they have had to introduce crowd control measures which are fed into the psyche from a very early age. You'll find yourself speechless sometimes from what you see and hear. You'll have a blast-enjoy! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Industrial countryside sounds even more appetising coming from someone living in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement