Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Months Most Played...

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

How could I forget given that I've listened to it almost every night so as to delve deep into it and finally discovered the charm buried under all those layers of sound... There will have to be a number 6 added to my list.

Moritz Von Oswald Trio - Vertical Ascent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I haven't listened to a lot of very Experimental stuff at all in the last few weeks :o (with the exception of seeing Kronos Quartet in Galway on tuesday..)

Experimental-ish stuff would have been -
    Burial - Untrue
    Guy Boratto - Chromophobia
    Basic Channel - BCD
    Do Make Say Think - & Yet & Yet (<-- I really love this album, post-rock at its absolute best)
    ZEN CD - a retrospective (Ninja Tune compilation)

Other stuff would have included Sigur Ros, The Pixies, Fugazi, Mahler's 2nd Symphony, Richie Hawtin, and of course Michael Jackson ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've been listening to Gavin Bryars' The Sinking of the Titanic a lot lately (mainly the LTM reissue of the 1990 live performance but other versions too). Can't think of anything else that I'm listening to in particular, I listen to a lot of stuff and tend not to play the same albums over and over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I'm all over the place at the moment -Boards of canada, Sunn 0))), Bike for three, Sakura, Erik Friedlander, Eno - Apollo -need new music BAD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm absolutely obsessed with Steve Reich's 'Music for 18 Musicians' right now.

Also been listening to Gavin Bryars 'sinking of the titanic' and Aphex Twin's 'drukqs'. Patrick Wolf as well.

Others on the list right now are Orbital 'In sides', Sin Fang Bous and Mum from Iceland, Kronos Quartet doing Philip Glass (and I'll be adding Ghost Opera and The Cusp of Magic to the collection after Monday), Nine Inch Nails.

I'm loving music at the moment.

• Advertisement

I love 'Music For 18 Musicians' first thing in the morning before I've heard anything else, and by that I mean no other real sounds such as radio, family in the house, TV etc. I have woken a few times early on a Saturday morning before the wife or kids and listened to Music for 18 Musicians from start to finish - a really amazing experience, worth a try for those who own it - make sure not to pollute your ears with anything else first... :pac:

I have tried other albums which have also been pretty special but this Reich album really sticks out for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

A friend of mine described hearing it live in the NCH a few years ago. It really blew his mind, a lot of notes just come out of nowhere, they are beautiful side effects of the notes which are explicitly played (metamusic - definition here). Its great to listen to on CD but I'm sorry I missed that concert.

fits wrote: »
    I'm absolutely obsessed with Steve Reich's 'Music for 18 Musicians' right now.

Also been listening to Gavin Bryars 'sinking of the titanic' and Aphex Twin's 'drukqs'. Patrick Wolf as well.

Others on the list right now are Orbital 'In sides', Sin Fang Bous and Mum from Iceland, Kronos Quartet doing Philip Glass (and I'll be adding Ghost Opera and The Cusp of Magic to the collection after Monday), Nine Inch Nails.

I'm loving music at the moment.

I haven't listened to 'In Sides' in ages, great album... Thanks for the reminder.

'Adnan's' from that album is without doubt one of my (many!) favourites from Orbital - for any that may not know it, have a blast...

Another Orbital track that has remained very special to me and is also a favourite is 'Kein Trink Wasser' from Snivilisation. Oh the memories of listening to this as teenager, the years feckin fly by...

cornbb wrote: »
    A friend of mine described hearing it live in the NCH a few years ago. It really blew his mind, a lot of notes just come out of nowhere, they are beautiful side effects of the notes which are explicitly played (metamusic - definition here). Its great to listen to on CD but I'm sorry I missed that concert.

Would love to hear it performed live, I'd say it was amazing.

Thanks for the link re metamusic, interesting read... with lots more in that too.

I'm just going through the youtube links now. Really like the sound of Wisp. Never new that tune was by Arvo Part, and that speedy J tune is absolutely awesome!

Nice links Felix :)

Kein Trink Wasser was my first favourite from Snivilisation, then 'Attached'. 'Are We Here' is my favourite at the moment though. If I had to choose I would say thats my favourite album ever. I think its really aged well.

• Advertisement

I'm just going through the youtube links now. Really like the sound of Wisp. Never new that tune was by Arvo Part, and that speedy J tune is absolutely awesome!

Nice links Felix :)

Kein Trink Wasser was my first favourite from Snivilisation, then 'Attached'. 'Are We Here' is my favourite at the moment though. If I had to choose I would say thats my favourite album ever. I think its really aged well.

If you like the Speedy J tune and don't already have anything by him, be sure to pick up both 'Ginger' and G-Spot' - both spectacular albums...

http://www.discogs.com/Speedy-J-Ginger/release/3613

http://www.discogs.com/Speedy-J-G-Spot/release/3616

His sound got a lot tougher in the late 90's/2000 which I love also but may not be everyones cup of tea! This for example from his album 'A Shocking Hobby' in 2000 -

I'm a massive fan though of Speedy J ever since his techno of the early 90's.

Snivilisation is a fantastic album alright and I would say has probably stood the test of time the most of all Orbital albums, definitely has aged extremely well.

I actually went to see Speedy J in Amsterdam last November, but I dont have anything by him in my music collection (yet).

So much to listen to, so little time :D

I actually went to see Speedy J in Amsterdam last November, but I dont have anything by him in my music collection (yet).

So much to listen to, so little time :D

Cool, never seen him live... good I assume?

Yeah tell me about it, always chasing my tail when it comes to music!

Nathan Fake was on in the other room and I was more into his stuff that night. But I'd go again. The venue - Melkweg - was a little too large and superclub-like for my taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terry Cotta

Saturday Index - Partly Cloudy on the Archaic Horizons label . All the releases are free. Some nice stuff to be got.

Started listening to Wisp recently and found this nice rework.

Oh and this Nathan Fake one...

I was a bit unsure when I saw a remix of Heliosphan, especially given that its one of my favourite tracks from Aphex Twin but that is bloody good, stayed true to the original in that its dark and moody but given it a new twist in its sound... very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

I really like that first wisp tune i have to say. I've got to check out some more of their stuff. I've been hooked on Bartok's piano pieces latley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHtWlw9mYSw&feature=related

Some tortoise too. I had tickets to there gig a while back. I bought them months before and then forgot about the gig...not pleasent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ltDyujqtm4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Photek - Modus operandi
    Great record.

Yeah love that Photek album, had it on in my kitchen recently and my wife didn't appreciate it at all! Love Helios also, and do get away with it the kitchen... safe even for family dinners :)

Been listening again to the recent(ish) album from Bochum Welt - R.O.B. Some really great tracks.

http://www.discogs.com/Bochum-Welt-ROB-Robotic-Operating-Buddy/release/1241494

Another I have been playing a lot is 'Mind Fuel' by Brain Pilot... a much lesser known IDM act from the 90s. Very talented and I'm surprised how under the radar they have been all these years.

http://www.discogs.com/Brain-Pilot-Mind-Fuel/master/57127

• Advertisement

Got Steve Roach - Midnight Moon - on boards rcommendation- this week, hauntingly beautiful guitar album.
    Also listening to Lifeforms a bit too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I'm listening to Ameseours' debut, Telepathe's Dance Mother, Max Richter's The Blue Notebooks and, on sunny days, the Avalanches' Gimix.

Advertisement