Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hi

• 15-07-2009 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, just a quick Q,if anyone can help me out
    Ive got a 4x4 thats almost out of tax and doe (its commerical)and wont be on the road for another 11 months.
    my question is,can i tax it and d.o.e. it, without insurance.
    Let me add, im off the road til the above and need a friend to drive it who is insured

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I know that you can't tax a car without a valid insurance cert. I assume it's the same with a commercial, but i'll move this to the 4x4 forum - you'll get a definite answer there. If you want it moved back, just let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well there is no problem testing it without insurance. Getting it there may be a problem.

The only way you could legally tax it is to get your mate to transfer his insurance to it temporarily. You no longer have to produce an insurance cert to tax a private vehicle AFAIK but you do have to fill in the form stating your insurance company, date of expiry and policy number. I am not sure if this is the case with commercials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Slidey wrote: »
    Well there is no problem testing it without insurance. Getting it there may be a problem.

The only way you could legally tax it is to get your mate to transfer his insurance to it temporarily. You no longer have to produce an insurance cert to tax a private vehicle AFAIK but you do have to fill in the form stating your insurance company, date of expiry and policy number. I am not sure if this is the case with commercials.
    Thanks for the feed back,going to get my mate to transfer his ins over but does this mean the jeep has to be in his name to tax it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

He may have to, not 100% sure to be honest.

Haven't taxed a commercial in a good few years.

Is he planning to drive your jeep while covered by his policy under the 3rd party open drive section? If he is his own policy probably needs to be commercial too and it is still an offence to drive a vehicle without a valid insurance disk displayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Ok there is a bit more to this then ithought.He has private ins so this means he will have to take out a separate policy.i'll have to get a few quotes because hes not driving very long.Thanks again for your help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement