Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTL Dublin, Dock workers dispute

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mtldockers

Due to a threat made against an individual on the picket by one of the crane drivers still working in MTL we have decided to suspend the mtldockers website until the matter is investigated fully. Please continue to openly and freely discuss this dispute here on boards.ie, an unbiased forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Would that be similar to the threats being dished out to me and fellow hauliers over the last three weeks at your front gate? Like 'I hope you have fire insurance' etc. I dont agree with scab labour but if you dish it out be prepared to accept it.

mtldockers wrote: »
    Due to a threat made against an individual on the picket by one of the crane drivers still working in MTL we have decided to suspend the mtldockers website until the matter is investigated fully. Please continue to openly and freely discuss this dispute here on boards.ie, an unbiased forum.

To strikers on the official picket line at MTL,
    Does I.S.P.S not apply at this terminal or is Dublin Port unaware of men been brought in from abroad with no back ground history of Dublin Port + as a result of badly stowed container vessel 'GERD' does Dublin Port not question the ability of these people to do a job that could have serious consequences for the environment of Dublin bay and crew of the vessel and finally regarding so called 'SECURITY' is it not true that these people would have to be licensed and if they are ex British soldiers are they licensed in Ireland???

Good luck to all you guys on the line.

Haulier wrote: »
    I have been in and out of MTL over the past 4 or 5 years. There is a whole other side to this argument. I earn half the wage working double the hours of the offer reported to be on the table. What angers me is the failure to mention a lot of underhand goings on within this port in the past. Over the past three weeks we have recieved a much better service with no damage or "preferential treatment" which was common place on a daily basis.

Remember!! There are two sides to every story, I don't wan't to see anyone losing their jobs. Keep an open mind.

4 years ago = 2005= BOOM YEARS, the place was so busy you were up to your eyeballs. Now it is slow you get your container quicker, ie. last 3 weeks also last year. The same men in there are the men who damaged your trailor before, you retard. You can compare 1 year with 1 year, but not 4-5 weeks with 3 weeks you gob****e.

I think you are mixing portroe up with the shipside crane drivers in DFT(Old B&I). Believe me i earn nearly half of whats on offer and i believe acrew was put on weekend work last year on nearly 70,000 a year. Some young lads with only a months training.Great work if you can get it. No ship in on a saturday night, get paid to stay at home. 3 12 hour shifts a week for 70 grand. No wonder they are going mad now they have to do a bit......One of the drivers used to work here and he was always bragging about how handy the shift was....FACT>>>>

Not confusing DFT with Portroe from someone employed within the port.Dockers at portroe should have done what staff at MTL are doing 12-18 months maybe 2 years ago with the path wore out to the labour court with unfair dismissals from Portroe & the choice to work beside non union agency workers at a lower rate of pay on a regular basis!!!

Regarding your ex colleague who i would believe had no choice but to look for alternative employment as a result of a witch hunt and if hadn't of being successful with his application to MTL he would most likely of been waiting for an unfair dismissals claim.

• Advertisement

Great job being done at the site at the minute lads. Keep up the good work and keep us truckers rollin!!!!

I have been in and out of MTL over the past 4 or 5 years. There is a whole other side to this argument. I earn half the wage working double the hours of the offer reported to be on the table. What angers me is the failure to mention a lot of underhand goings on within this port in the past. Over the past three weeks we have recieved a much better service with no damage or "preferential treatment" which was common place on a daily basis.

Remember!! There are two sides to every story, I don't wan't to see anyone losing their jobs. Keep an open mind.

Haulier have you not recognised the lack of interest from Dublin Port in this dispute because an agreement was reached some years ago with Dublin Port that this operation will move back to the Northside were land will be reclaimed which already has RAILINK to do away with ROAD TRANSPORT!!!

If anyone from Clontarf is reading this Dublin Port see the terminal at MTL Dublin 4 as been much more valuable for development & at the cost of the residents in Clontarf and surrounding areas. Please contact your local government rep to protect your area. Log onto www.dublinport.ie and view proposed terminal 5 site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 theroadahead

Haulier, if you really are a haulier, No truck drivers have been threatened at the gate, we are holding a peaceful protest and are not breaking any of the conditions laid down by the ridiculous injunction served on us!
    In fact Haulier, if you respected Irish workers rights, you would'nt be going into MTL in the first place and passing a picket, If PEEL ports win this dispute, God help workers in Ireland, it'll be a huge step backwards, and in 20 years time Mr. Haulier, when your children come home and tell you they were sacked for no reason and have no grounds to appeal it, you hold your head up high and proud and say "Kids, because of people like me, this happened" and give them a big proud smile!
    Mr. Portroe, If you're down in the docks 20 years then I dont see why someone like yourself would'nt be supporting us, are you jealous? are you spiteful?? Or are you not really a port worker at all??? Or maybe you are and your one of the scabs going into MTL in your blackened out bodyguard car????
    THIS DISPUTE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WAGES, SO IF YOUR GOING TO POST A RESPONSE HERE PLEASE KNOW YOUR FACTS!!!!!!!!!

Would that be similar to the threats being dished out to me and fellow hauliers over the last three weeks at your front gate? Like 'I hope you have fire insurance' etc. I dont agree with scab labour but if you dish it out be prepared to accept it.

If threats have been made against you why do you not report it to the relevant authorities? The majority of hauliers get in without incident but the odd driver that feels the need to speed up as they come up to the gate to gain those valuable extra few seconds whilst putting the lives of the peaceful picketers in danger might have a few choice words said to them. People tend to react badly to almost being run over by massive HGV's!

To strikers on the official picket line at MTL,
    Does I.S.P.S not apply at this terminal or is Dublin Port unaware of men been brought in from abroad with no back ground history of Dublin Port + as a result of badly stowed container vessel 'GERD' does Dublin Port not question the ability of these people to do a job that could have serious consequences for the environment of Dublin bay and crew of the vessel and finally regarding so called 'SECURITY' is it not true that these people would have to be licensed and if they are ex British soldiers are they licensed in Ireland???

Good luck to all you guys on the line.

This is something that would have to be looked into but thank you for the info.

• Advertisement

I think you are mixing portroe up with the shipside crane drivers in DFT(Old B&I). Believe me i earn nearly half of whats on offer and i believe acrew was put on weekend work last year on nearly 70,000 a year. Some young lads with only a months training.Great work if you can get it. No ship in on a saturday night, get paid to stay at home. 3 12 hour shifts a week for 70 grand. No wonder they are going mad now they have to do a bit......One of the drivers used to work here and he was always bragging about how handy the shift was....FACT>>>>

Could there have been a more unsociable shift than 19.00 - 07.00 Friday, Saturday and Sunday!! Most people would not accept any amount of money to do that shift....FACT (Now we are just waiting for this person to say "i'd do it"... sure!)

just 2 short questions.who does the twist locks.who ties the vessels

Could there have been a more unsociable shift than 19.00 - 07.00 Friday, Saturday and Sunday!! Most people would not accept any amount of money to do that shift....FACT (Now we are just waiting for this person to say "i'd do it"... sure!)

I drive a taxi these nights and wednesday and thursday night aswell. Due to the increase in licences and the downturn I am struggling to pay bills. I would love a salary to be paid every week for that shift. I think the recession is the wrong tome to strike. People are worried about their own job security, which is why they are passing the picket. I drop in there for a fare now and then. I havent been called lately but i will pass. Siptu wont pay MY bills. Sorry.

Folks,

I read so much here about getting the facts right. Quite frankly it's all a bit hypocritical. It may be down to you receiving dodgy info but here ARE the facts.

1. There was no such incident of the m.v.Gerd being dangerously stowed.
    2. There was no such incident of crane booms putting berthing vessels in danger.
    3. There was no such "near miss" of a reefer falling from height onto a truck.
    4. Threats have been common place to both workers and hauliers entering the port.
    5. Operators are fully versed in the ISPS Code and have been since it was introduced.

Are you saying you wouldn't do those 3 shifts for 70,000.......There would be a queue as long as the M1 to do that!!!

Portroe crane driver
    After thinking about it you are 20 years IN the docks but portroe still have a couple of years left for 20th birthday but Cathal when you got on the road to Dublin it was to Dublin ferries and think back to D.C.H doing the stevedoring with all us old hands.

as far as working IN the docks everybody else managed to work ON the docks. . .

From an old hand

I don't like to see anyone lose their job.
    Today I was held hostage at MTL by picketers. Fine, if you don't want to let me in, don't.
    But if you let me in, don't hold me hostage. If you you stop me from entering I have the choice to turn around and not enter, if you don't let me out, thats imprisonment. False imprisonment is a crime in this country.
    As a truck driver our job is hard enough with out being the target in labour dispute's. Peel Ports doesn't care if you disrupt the trucks, it doesn't cost them anything. If you disrupt the ships then they might take notice. I just want to know, why is it the truck driver who has to pay the price?

Just a quick observation......Where is your support!It seems like even you as picketers have lost all interest.Nothing in the media and attacks on so called scabs have done nothing to highlight your cause.There is a recession,lots of people have lost there jobs and it seems like you are all going to join the many thousands on the dole queue

Just would like too wish you mtl dockers the best in this I am proud too see that you all are true too your generations and yourselves unlike some I have my facts here and when someone makes an attack like this you are damn right in what you are doing, I will show my support as long as it takes, this company makes me sick but you are already have something they don't pride and a sense of humanity. Good luck people I'm with you'd every step of the way. Your support will mount trust me.

Peel Ports have now issued letters to all staff on the picket line informing that all jobs are now at risk of redundancy, where in the world would you get it????? This is another swipe by peel ports to frighten people on the picket line. I would like to to say to the lads and ladies on the picket line "KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, DONT BE AFRAID TO STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS"

• Advertisement

to the Port Roe docker

Peel Ports took over a multi million pound "mersey Docks and Harbour Company" when it was down in its luck they are likely to take over you if you dont watch your backs ie they have the money to do so!!!!!!!!! Sure you are already working for them by working their coastal ships they could be sneaking in quietly so watch your back!!!!! so tell me this "are you going to take the crap that they will be dishing out when they hit you with new contracts giving you a couple of days to sign with no negotiation take it or leave it, then ask you to be assessed in a machine that you have been driving for 20 years and then even though they issued you with confirmation that the results of the assesment would not be used against you when it came to the selection for redundancies but then it was how would you feel even though you knew that guys you worked with driving cranes for 2 years were not selected because they got wind of the word prior to the assesment to drive as many machines on the day to score more points

Folks,

I read so much here about getting the facts right. Quite frankly it's all a bit hypocritical. It may be down to you receiving dodgy info but here ARE the facts.

1. There was no such incident of the m.v.Gerd being dangerously stowed.
    2. There was no such incident of crane booms putting berthing vessels in danger.
    3. There was no such "near miss" of a reefer falling from height onto a truck.
    4. Threats have been common place to both workers and hauliers entering the port.
    5. Operators are fully versed in the ISPS Code and have been since it was introduced.

1: So you are saying the agent is a liar? ok then....

2: Yes there is and we have proof.

3: You are calling a trustworthy truck driver a liar now....

4: Prove it! We have proof that one of the picketers was threatened.

5: We made no comment regarding this, it was by an outsider.

I don't like to see anyone lose their job.
    Today I was held hostage at MTL by picketers. Fine, if you don't want to let me in, don't.
    But if you let me in, don't hold me hostage. If you you stop me from entering I have the choice to turn around and not enter, if you don't let me out, thats imprisonment. False imprisonment is a crime in this country.
    As a truck driver our job is hard enough with out being the target in labour dispute's. Peel Ports doesn't care if you disrupt the trucks, it doesn't cost them anything. If you disrupt the ships then they might take notice. I just want to know, why is it the truck driver who has to pay the price?

"Held hostage"???? At what point were you forcibly stopped from exiting the terminal and a ransom was asked for for your safe release? This is just a gross exaggeration, we are bound by the high court injunction not to block anyone or anything from entering and exiting the terminal. Even today at the high court the company presented "evidence" to the judge saying we were blocking them, the judge didn't seem to think so.

this is to 'another hauiler' ... the cheek of you saying that its always the poor truck driver being victimised... How many time has the Road Haulage Association blocked Dublin city centre and surronding area's to highlight their many plights?? I just dont get you hauilers.. Why are you dogging this dispute so much? What is your problem? If you've nothing constructive or supportive to say why dont you log onto moanypox.com... The dispute is what it is, no differnet to hundereds going on around the country whether its dock workers of truck drivers this is unfair treatment to irsh tax paying workers!!!

just 2 short questions.who does the twist locks.who ties the vessels

Answer in order. Riggers. Boatmen.

I drive a taxi these nights and wednesday and thursday night aswell. Due to the increase in licences and the downturn I am struggling to pay bills. I would love a salary to be paid every week for that shift. I think the recession is the wrong tome to strike. People are worried about their own job security, which is why they are passing the picket. I drop in there for a fare now and then. I havent been called lately but i will pass. Siptu wont pay MY bills. Sorry.

Taxi Driver
    Sometimes I wish i wasnt Irish , the ability Irish people have to knock there own. You seem to be under the impression there is only men walking this picket line who 'may' be well paid, there is 4 young women who have family commitments & nobody is mentioning there terms&conditions. If you think these mtl workers are over paid what do you of our government ministers who created this problem & still enjoy the luxury of taxes been paid by strikers at mtl & this country, taxi drivers included.

ah yeah you would say that

Are you saying you wouldn't do those 3 shifts for 70,000.......There would be a queue as long as the M1 to do that!!!

who the hell earns 70000 a year not anyone on the picket line for sure this is where the company is exaggerating the only ones earn that kind of money are inside the gates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 workers rights

Just a quick observation......Where is your support!It seems like even you as picketers have lost all interest.Nothing in the media and attacks on so called scabs have done nothing to highlight your cause.There is a recession,lots of people have lost there jobs and it seems like you are all going to join the many thousands on the dole queue

You must be blind if you didnt notice the people who went on the protest yesterday was that not support?There was over 100 people who took part in that march northsiders and southsiders united,plus ex dockers standing in solidarity with their ex co workers unlike the irish scabs that are stiil working for Peel Ports.A scab is someone that crosses a picket just incase you didnt know that, and that is what those that have croosed that picket line to work for Peel Ports are. Yes everyone knows there is a recession but answer me this how come Peel Ports gave the cleaner her redundancy notice on the Friday and by Tuesday of the following week they had someone in doing her work.After 11 years of working there her redundancy package was a joke and I dont think anyone in their right mind would accept it.
    All you men and women on the picket line best of luck and I hope you all get what you are fighting for.My dad was a docker and he and his co workers were on many picket lines for their rights also.They were told that they would be put in prison if they didnt come off the picket line and prison they would have gone because they were not going to back down untill they got what they were on strike for.Be strong and keep up the fight.Im behind use 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A scab is someone that crosses a picket just incase you didnt know that, and that is what those that have croosed that picket line to work for Peel Ports are.
    The scabs will work to get money. They most likely don't have jobs, and this chance of a job is taken with both hands. In the 80's when the unions had power, your fathers could hold tight, and the companies would have to back down. Now, the unions don't have as much power, and the companies don't see why they should back down.

Best of luck, but with so many people out of a job, many will justify to themselves that breaking the picket and becoming a scab means putting food on the table for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement