Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Snip - who's for the Chop

Options
  • 15-07-2009 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi,

Has anyone got any opinion which Government Agencies are for the "snip". There is a lot of talk about Shannon Development but does anyone have any sus on who else might go or be merged.

I've seen that something like 20,000 jobs could be axed over next 5 years.

I'm a manager in the public sector and at times its embarrassing. I've just recently approved 3 pay increments (rises) for people on my team. Its a joke we are talking about pay and recruitment freeze but this annual pay rise, (basically for just turning up) still gets paid. Please do not talk to me about PMDS, this is one of the greatest cons of the public sector gravy train. If i could have i would have refused 2 of the 3 pay increments or certainly not approved them, however its simply not worth the hassle, you end up having to go into a whole sham of a process and eventually they grind you down until the increment gets paid. I've seen too many colleagues had formal complaints lodged against them for rejecting the pay rises and in the end its easier just to go with the flow. I know that its a total cop-out and it breaks the back of good performers who have no incentive to achieve more than your Mr and Mrs Average. Rises should only be paid when someone makes an exceptional performance not simply becuause we have a lame duck PMDS box ticking excercise to appease control-crats in HR departments.

A performance bonus should not be an automatic right.

Anyway, we have far too many agencies doing more or less the same thing, spending tax payers money on complete fodder, how many Tourism bodies have we got? how many Agricultural and foods bodies ? how many regional development boards ? etc etc etc.

Time to get real.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 moot

I fear the cuts will be opposed by all kinds of special interest groups, and eventually watered down until eventually the savings required aren't realised.

Fair play for being so open about the problems from the 'inside'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 McLovinit

Without doubt, it won't be just the unions but all the party politically appointed boards of all the state bodies. Lets not forget that they are all connected to this Government and form part of the quiet elite vanguard. All the vested interests will also surface. I don't think the current Minister has the bottle to take hard decisions, he thinks by saying he is going to take hard decisions and then giving that scarey look to the camera, will do the trick.....he's got the chocolate fireguard syndrome.

I think you need a Minister like McCreevy who would not take any nonsense and would just go with his own conviction. (which he did with decentralisation! which of course turned out to be a pigs dinner!) but you get my drift.

As for life in the public sector I could fill hundreds of pages on Boards.ie with the farce that is life on the inside. But maybe it will be life on the outside again after 2pm tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Here yous go Public Service bashing again. OP if its such a load on you , why don't you get the hell out and try the private service for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

It's just the pre-show warm up for the IMF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Hi OP, firstly, welcome as a new boardsie

I can't believe a public sector agency is still dishing out performance bonuses, can you clarify which agency you're a manager in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Public sector getting pay rises still? In fairness now...there's not much else to say when we're hearing that...

I reckon it will be a major axing of all pen-pushers, but some tough choices too. The unions will go insane, no doubt. It's gonna be an interesting next few months. I think at least ONE major strike is gonna happen. Also, it's unfortunate timing, because our Dáil happens to be enjoying their summer holidays in the most turbulent economics this country has ever faced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

McLovinit wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone got any opinion which Government Agencies are for the "snip". There is a lot of talk about Shannon Development but does anyone have any sus on who else might go or be merged.

I've seen that something like 20,000 jobs could be axed over next 5 years.

I'm a manager in the public sector and at times its embarrassing. I've just recently approved 3 pay increments (rises) for people on my team. Its a joke we are talking about pay and recruitment freeze but this annual pay rise, (basically for just turning up) still gets paid. Please do not talk to me about PMDS, this is one of the greatest cons of the public sector gravy train. If i could have i would have refused 2 of the 3 pay increments or certainly not approved them, however its simply not worth the hassle, you end up having to go into a whole sham of a process and eventually they grind you down until the increment gets paid. I've seen too many colleagues had formal complaints lodged against them for rejecting the pay rises and in the end its easier just to go with the flow. I know that its a total cop-out and it breaks the back of good performers who have no incentive to achieve more than your Mr and Mrs Average. Rises should only be paid when someone makes an exceptional performance not simply becuause we have a lame duck PMDS box ticking excercise to appease control-crats in HR departments.

A performance bonus should not be an automatic right.

Anyway, we have far too many agencies doing more or less the same thing, spending tax payers money on complete fodder, how many Tourism bodies have we got? how many Agricultural and foods bodies ? how many regional development boards ? etc etc etc.

Time to get real.

Interesting post OP. I think thought that you need to be the change you want to see in the world.

Speak out and call this bullsh*t for what it is. Only in Ireland in the public sector could a performance increment or a bonus be an automatic right. In any private sector employment, very clear conditions would exist for something like this. The notion that there are people getting a pay increase now in the public sector makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Darragh29 wrote: »
    The notion that there are people getting a pay increase now in the public sector makes me sick.

How about the banks? Does that make you sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lobber

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0716/1224250762839.html

Irish Times have some brief details of An Bord Snips proposals.

Merging county and city councils, merging small rural schools, abolishing govt departments such as Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs, axing €20 million from Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism budgets before deciding its future, cuts in state pensions and unemployment benefit, absorbing all community enterprise boards into Enterprise Ireland (including Shannon development OP!), 17000 state job losses and a €300 million reduction in the HSE paybill!!!

You can bet they have withheld the most severe proposals for the time being as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

17,000 state job losses...is this by natural waste (not replacing people who leave) or mandatory redundancy?

I would fear that if its a blanket laying off of people, the efficent and dedicated workers, of which there are many, will loose their jobs along with the lazy paper pushers, of which there are many.

I would like it to be dependent on a performance review to be carried out by the employer and an external consultant so it wouldnt be just jobs for the boys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

OP if its such a load on you , why don't you get the hell out and try the private service for a while.
    How would that solve the problem? The practices he complains of would simply carry on in his absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Government and all politicians need to lead by example but we all know their past record on that.
    They should reduce their own salaries and expenses, Reduce the number of TD, abolish Seanad, remove Mary Harney, abolish quangos and abolish Irish president ....world tours at the tax payers expence is no longer tenable, we were not even allowed an election for President in 2004

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Government and all politicians need to lead by example but we all know their past record on that.
    They should reduce their own salaries and expenses, Reduce the number of TD, abolish Seanad, remove Mary Harney, abolish quangos and abolish Irish president ....world tours at the tax payers expence is no longer tenable, we were not even allowed an election for President in 2004

These guys are still claiming expenses that they don't have to vouch for. There isn't a business organisation in the country that operates like this, but these guys are still getting blank cheques written for themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Whatever else said about her, Harney's problem has been that she wasn't allowed to instigate the cuts needed in the public health service when they could have been (formation of the HSE) because of FF hand wringing. This has lead to the costs of the HSE spiralling out of control, with most of the wages being spent on administration rather than doctors and nurses.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

The farm was more prosperous now, and better organised: it had even been
    enlarged by two fields which had been bought from Mr. Pilkington. The
    windmill had been successfully completed at last, and the farm possessed a
    threshing machine and a hay elevator of its own, and various new buildings
    had been added to it. Whymper had bought himself a dogcart. The windmill,
    however, had not after all been used for generating electrical power. It
    was used for milling corn, and brought in a handsome money profit. The
    animals were hard at work building yet another windmill; when that one was
    finished, so it was said, the dynamos would be installed. But the luxuries
    of which Snowball had once taught the animals to dream, the stalls with
    electric light and hot and cold water, and the three-day week, were no
    longer talked about. Napoleon had denounced such ideas as contrary to the
    spirit of Animalism. The truest happiness, he said, lay in working hard
    and living frugally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

astrofool wrote: »
    Whatever else said about her, Harney's problem has been that she wasn't allowed to instigate the cuts needed in the public health service when they could have been (formation of the HSE) because of FF hand wringing. This has lead to the costs of the HSE spiralling out of control, with most of the wages being spent on administration rather than doctors and nurses.

Less than 10% of HSE expenditure is on Administrative salaries. Get you facts right before posting:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

6000 for the chop in the Health section;
    Thats a big number, how many are currently are working there?
    The areas off the top of my head are:
    doctors, nurses, lab aids, porters, cleaners, security, managers, administration, consultants, ...?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sniipe wrote: »
    doctors, nurses, lab aids, porters, cleaners, security, managers, administration, consultants, ...?

111,000 iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

kceire wrote: »
    111,000 iirc
    So thats just a 5% cut, I guess thats reasnoable.

Is that over 5 years? If so thats not so bad, some retire, some will take redundancy, some are just incompetent (surely with such a big figure there are some that are incompetent) that need to be fired/let go.

I know from family working in the HSE that there are other areas where savings could be made.

AFAIK if you go to the doc and get your bloods taken that the doc charges extra... ?? Even tho its a free service, perhaps the hospitals should charge for this? Also consultants which do a great job seem to be overpaid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Also consultants which do a great job seem to be overpaid...

I think you've missed the point here, Sniipe - the cuts are only designed to hurt the poor. Consultants don't qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Almost 7000 proposed job cuts for education and science proposed, that's even more than for health.

Plus amalgamation of smaller primary schools.

Plus everyone will have to pay for school transport, up to €500 per year (after means testing).

Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs to be abolished.

Is it just me or will that impact unfairly on predominantly the West of the country (so what's new)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

So that'll be 6,000 front line workers which will mean the pencil pushers and admins will be more efficient.

So that'll be 6,000 front line workers which will mean the pencil pushers and admins will be more efficient.

How sweet your faith that the efficient ones will be kept, and not the arselickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Almost 7000 proposed job cuts for education and science proposed, that's even more than for health.

Plus amalgamation of smaller primary schools.

Plus everyone will have to pay for school transport, up to €500 per year (after means testing).

Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs to be abolished.

Is it just me or will that impact unfairly on predominantly the West of the country (so what's new)?

If someone chooses to live out side of a city they have to expect higher costs for services. There's a reason you spent less on rent / morgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭happytime

44 million axed off community dev annual budget...wonder what % of this is annual budget....

RAPID abolished

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

scary times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

I think the revelations about the waste in the Public Sector is going to be quite scary. That is why the Unions are trying to gag "An Bord Snip".

What's RAPID, please, happytime?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

If someone chooses to live out side of a city they have to expect higher costs for services. There's a reason you spent less on rent / morgage.

so you claim that any one who cannot, or wishes not to, adapt to city life, shell out extra, to support the people that wishes to, why not have it the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Schmerbatov

FSA closed. Reason given? Mediation service wasn't keeping enough couples together. Classic.

When will the media start using the term McCarthyism?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭happytime

Revitalising Areas by Planning Investment and Development (RAPID)

http://www.pobail.ie/en/RAPIDandCLR/

Advertisement