Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netbooks for programming.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Almost any laptop you buy will be able to compile and run the sort of programs you'll be witting for the first few years...

One of the small netbooks will probably wreck your head spending any amount of time in front of it working on assignments etc due to the size of the keyboard / screen...

Most of the netbooks are based on the intel atom processor, which won't set the world on fire, but is ok for general use...

hey guys, thanks for the help on the last thread.

one more question for you guys, im thinking of buying...

THIS

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/toshiba-nb100-128-529246/review

TOSHIBA 100-128

will that be ok for a computer science course do yous reckon?
    again, any advice would be great.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I did my entire final year project (which was primarily programming) on an eeepc so you'll have no problem

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

In terms of performance it would be fine. I even ran a virtual machine hosting MOSS and SQL Server on my NC-10 and I was amazed at how well it ran (I've upgraded it to 2Gb ram though).

The main problem you will find will be the usability, even the best netbook screens and keyboards wouldn't be up to sustained hard work, you would really need to get an external screen/keyboard.

Unless you'll absolutely need to ultra-portability of a netbook, you should be able to pick up a cheap 14" or 15" laptop for near the same price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

stevenmu wrote:
    The main problem you will find will be the usability, even the best netbook screens and keyboards wouldn't be up to sustained hard work, you would really need to get an external screen/keyboard.

I couldn't agree more. Personally I would sacrifice portability for usability and get a laptop with as big a keyboard and screen as possible. I used a Dell XPS with a 17" screen a few years ago, and while it weighed a ton, it was nearly as good as using a desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

using a netbook for a year now and tis grand for general programming (notepad + compiler). as long as your not trying to run a large ide on it you will be fine. tried running sql 2005 and visual studio 2008 on an eeepc and it was a bit to jumpy for my liking.

• Advertisement

I had no major issues with running eclipse on an eee 901 running Ubuntu and an nc20 running Ubuntu.

The only thing I'd be careful about is the screen resolution. The 12" netbooks usually have 1280*800 or 1366*768 which would be much better for using IDEs than the smaller resolution screens like 1024*5xx.

Advertisement