Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new router

Options
  • 15-07-2009 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

Just moved to a place with Magnet broadband (in Adamstown, FTTH I think) so I'm looking for a wireless router with a decent firewall (ethernet router, no ADSL modem) for <€100. Any suggestions?

Is the Linksys WRT54GL still any good or is there much better competition now? I don't have any 802.11n stuff right now but a little future proofing won't hurt.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Just moved to a place with Magnet broadband (in Adamstown, FTTH I think) so I'm looking for a wireless router with a decent firewall (ethernet router, no ADSL modem) for <€100. Any suggestions?

Is the Linksys WRT54GL still any good or is there much better competition now? I don't have any 802.11n stuff right now but a little future proofing won't hurt.

Only saw this now...we can offer a wireless router. rental is €7.50 per month or you can buy it for €99.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Nice of you guys in Magnet to offer, but €100 is almost double what you'd expect to pay for an average consumer router.

I've never heard any complaints about the WRT54GL. Seems to be tried and trusted. And plenty of customising to be had with it of course.

I assume magnet provide you with an ethernet output (like UPC, Irish Broadband or Digiweb Metro) to plug the router into.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Nice of you guys in Magnet to offer, but €100 is almost double what you'd expect to pay for an average consumer router.

I've never heard any complaints about the WRT54GL. Seems to be tried and trusted. And plenty of customising to be had with it of course.

I assume magnet provide you with an ethernet output (like UPC, Irish Broadband or Digiweb Metro) to plug the router into.

The key thing here is that the access point we offer can feed the PCTV service over wireless, I don't know if other wirelesses can do this.

I cant vouch for other wireless access boxes but i can tell you we have had very few complaints about the Ruckus.

Access points are ethernet and will be available in a number of rooms in FTTH developments.

Advertisement