Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Age?

Options
  • 15-07-2009 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I need to know how old you need to be to get a tattoo. Im 16 and i want a tattoo, have spent 2 years thinking about it to make sure i REALLY want it, and i do! So i need to go independently and just wondering what will i need , will they ask me for id, do i need to fill out forms?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JohnnyQuid

There's no set age for getting a tattoo but no decent tattoo studio will tattoo anyone under 18.I'd advise you to think about it for another while to make sure you really want your body marked forever,I've been thinking about getting a tattoo for 5 years now so just wait a bit longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

no decent place will tattoo you under the age of 18. you waited two years already , whats another two

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JohnnyQuid

emo!! wrote: »
    no decent place will tattoo you under the age of 18. you waited two years already , whats another two

Couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

If you want it that bad, you'll appreciate it even more in two years time! Also it'll give you more time to plan out your design etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

yeah i know, i just thought if the limit was 16 may as well do it now, but ill wait! id prefer to do it when its actually legal anyway! thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'm in the same position as you. I'm 17 and have wanted tats for years. I used to be impatient and often thought of going to places that really should be avoided at all costs, but I think now it's not so bad, I only have one more year to go and I know I'll feel so much happier, better and safe when I start getting inked than I would have if I had have gotten a tat last year. And to answer your question, absolutely nowhere reputable will tattoo you w/o id. Just wait the 2 years and it'll be so much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

yeah i know, i just thought if the limit was 16 may as well do it now, but ill wait! id prefer to do it when its actually legal anyway! thanks
    Congragulations on being one of the most intelligent and mature underage posters we've had who is actually listening to our advice. Seriously mean that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Riordan123

My friend (15) get a tatoo a few weeks ago, your parents have to sign sense your under 18

Riordan123 wrote: »
    My friend (15) get a tatoo a few weeks ago, your parents have to sign sense your under 18
    still decent places wont do it even with parental consent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Respectable places will require you to be 18 or parental consent if your under it. Been tempted to get one for years myself and i'm 18, still plan to hold off for another bit though. Don't want to be haunted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Respectable places will require you to be 18 or parental consent if your under it. Been tempted to get one for years myself and i'm 18, still plan to hold off for another bit though. Don't want to be haunted.
    Incorrect respectable places wont. Places that dont want to be done for gbh get your parents to sign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Riordan123

I dont really agree with tatoos, because when you get older they look horrible, imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I dont really agree with tatoos, because when you get older they look horrible
    Insightful ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Incorrect respectable places wont. Places that dont want to be done for gbh get your parents to sign

Fair enough, i'll accept the correction. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I dont really agree with tatoos, because when you get older they look horrible

OK guys, fun's over, guess we better shut down this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Like A Fox

How can you be sure you'll always like a tattoo that you thought of when you were 14?

Like A Fox wrote: »
    How can you be sure you'll always like a tattoo that you thought of when you were 14?
    that why , we suggest waiting til your 18 and over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

I dont really agree with tatoos, because when you get older they look horrible, imo

Very uninformed. Thats because youre looking at the old timers who had their tattoos done way back in the day.. way back when mercury was still used for red ink.. way back when there was no aftercare instructions.. way back when the needles went up to a quarter of an inch under your skin, you get me?

And besides, when you get old your skins gonna look like that of a cigarette burnt scrotum :P Id rather be a colourful one.

To the OP, I commend you on your decision to wait until youre 18, I waited from when I was 15 until 4 months after I turned 18 to get my first tattoo. That said, I know a lad who got a tattoo at 16.. decent sized thing too.. cant wait to see how that turns out when his arm grows :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Theres a quote from Lyle Tuttle--Old school 78 year old tattoo artist,quite famous whos been asked this question loads of times.

His answer was that when hes that old he`ll "Be more worried about being able to wipe his own ass than what his tattoos look like"

Im of a similar opinion!!! And Id say so are most of the users here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Thank you...
    I'm in the same position as you. I'm 17 and have wanted tats for years. I used to be impatient and often thought of going to places that really should be avoided at all costs, but I think now it's not so bad, I only have one more year to go and I know I'll feel so much happier, better and safe when I start getting inked than I would have if I had have gotten a tat last year. And to answer your question, absolutely nowhere reputable will tattoo you w/o id. Just wait the 2 years and it'll be so much better
    Thank you...
    Corkfeen wrote: »
    Been tempted to get one for years myself and i'm 18, still plan to hold off for another bit though. Don't want to be haunted.
    And thank you!

Thank you for proving voices of reason amongst the younger people that come in here looking for advice on getting tattooed and who are under 18.
    It makes sense to wait for a number of reasons:
    Your body is still developing.
    Your personality is also still developing (believe it or not!) and many of us can attest to this, that the tattoo designs we'd have picked when we were young are designs that we would REALLY not want on our bodies now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Traviata

Im also against Tattoos if u arent 18!

If I was 15 I had a chance to get one, I'm really happy, that I've said no!

Cause after few months I grew up like 20 or 30 cm!
    So....I also wait till I was 18..

Advertisement