Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What age were ya?

• 15-07-2009 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭

Was just curious about something, what age were ye when ye were allowed have a can or two around the parents?

I was just turned 14 when I was allowed to have a few here and there.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

18 on the dot.

And even then there was an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Think I was allowed 1 bottle at Christmas & new years when I was about 15/16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Meh ... it never feels right to just "have a can" because Mammy or Daddy is suggesting you have one. It's just drinking for the sake of it and it's not enjoyable at all. Never got much out of it myself so that didn't last long.

To answer your question .. probably about ten drinking out of his pint of Guinness down the pub!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I hate beer. I used to have the odd baileys when I was about 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I'm nearly 24 and I still get dirty looks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'm 15 now and I'd be allowed 2 or 3 cans of cider or budweiser on any given night..and i enjoy every bit of them:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

About 15,think it was at a family house party to , long before drinking at home became the social norm (as it is now )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I was allowed to be drunk around them from 14 as they could stop me if they felt i was getting to drunk, cool parents!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

When i was 16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Never drank around my parents as a teen. Often came home drunk though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I'm 15 now and I'd be allowed 2 or 3 cans of cider or budweiser on any given night..and i enjoy every bit of them:D

My OH was the same, and he's never once been drunk! Nothing to rebel against I suppose. If I ever had kids, I'd definitely have that attitude too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

>15, 2-3 bottles at Christmas or New Years
    16-18 Buying me drink (wahey for sound parents!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Ah I'd still get a bit drunk goin' out like but not as much as anyone else really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

15. My Mam didnt like me drinking bottles of beer and would only let me drink vodka/spirts cause it didnt look like i was drinking :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

18 on the dot and my old man was a boll*x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Beer proffered by your parents just didn't taste right somehow.

I just used to pretend to drink the can, and then sneaked out and drank it in a field to restore natural order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

18 (and not because I was allowed I was away from home and just drank at home as I pleased) and even now there's still an argument.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

my ma and da didnt mind from bout 15 onwards.

they reckon they'd rather kno i was drinking and be able ta control it.

it worked....i didnt ever get completely hammered till i was nearly 18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

offered at 14 ...but 15...
    they didnt mind me going out with mates either as long as the phone was on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wasn't allowed drink until I was 18. I'm pretty sure they knew I drank before that though. Probably because I came in one night hammered when I was 16 and sat on the toilet and fell asleep and my mum found me an hour later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

When I was 15 I came home one night after a heavy session on the hash pipe and after a few cans too. My eyes were so blood shot I looked like the spawn of satan. I convinced my ma that I was acting as chef at a BBQ and the smoke "stung" my eyes. She then proceeded to sniff my jacket and said "oh ya I can swell the charcoal" I had to bite my tounge to stop myself from laughing.

EDIT: to answer your original question the first night I had a drink with my parent was the night of the millennium, so I woulda been 16. I don't drink much around family I find it uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

From the age of 8 my dad gave me a bottle of guinness every saturday, not that ****e you get now with the widget either, the real stuff. Every trip to France (every year from 8 yrs old) I was allowed wine with my meal if I wanted it, and know what? I have a healthy appreciation of alcohol. I didn't think its some sort of forbidden fruit when I got to 14 and I handled it very well, thanks Dad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My dad used to let me have sups of his beer when i was a kid (drink Bud now and im convinced thats why).

Did the "sly" drinking for about 6mths when i was 15 but remember asking my dad could i have a few the night my friend turned 16 . He sat me down and said "no problem, i trust you and im sure you'll be responsible"! I think i was so shocked at his response that i didnt get drunk and even now i hate getting drunk in front of him.

Thats going to be my attitude when i have kids. If you dont forbid it, you end up thinking for yourself and dont get piddly eyed just because its not allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I used to have a sip of Guiness when I was a young lad waiting with me Dad for the sober mother to drive us home from the pub.

My Mom started buying me a few tins when I turned 16 and now I just drink whenever Mom gets it (rarely) or when my girlfriend wants to ( rather often :confused:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

was allowed a glass of wine christmas day from 12-13 on.allowed beer from 14 onwards on special occasions.16 onwards allowed booze regularly once they knew where i was and i wasnt a mess.my dad brought me to the local nightclub when i was 17 and had a wee word with the bouncers, in i went!

the fact they trusted me and allowed it meant i never went overboard like mates who were pumped out because they downed a shoulde,r because they werent allowed and wanted to get hammered whenever they got the chance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm not sure I was ever not allowed drink around them, only person in my class that wasn't a pioneer. Anyway, didn't do it much anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I was allowed from the time I was 15, my mam just wouldn't have minded, but I didn't have my first drink until I was 17 and 1/4, I was on a balcony in a hotel in Paris and I thought it seemed right, it was Vodka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My parents were ok with me drinking around them from about 17 onwards, but I've never been a very big drinker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Was allowed a beer once on holliers when I was 15. Besides that never really.Im not a drinker anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

From the age of 8 my dad gave me a bottle of guinness every saturday, not that ****e you get now with the widget either, the real stuff. Every trip to France (every year from 8 yrs old) I was allowed wine with my meal if I wanted it, and know what? I have a healthy appreciation of alcohol. I didn't think its some sort of forbidden fruit when I got to 14 and I handled it very well, thanks Dad!

yea trying to keep it away from kids does more harm than good really.

but i can't even remember. prolly 13 or 14, never thought much of it. don't drink much at all now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

I'm 18 and I still havn't taken a drink in front of my parents.I've been allowed since I turned 17,but I still have yet to drink in front of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Myself and my ma used to go back the fields lushing Devil's Bit since I was about two. Of course I'm joking. There's never any ice so, um, never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

17 methinks! got quite tipsy for the 1st time at 17 lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I was at my grandmother funeral so i would have been about 16 (turning 17 maybe) and the whole family was sitting around in the pub when my older brother and sisters asked my dad if i could have a pint, think i was in shock when he said i could, but he still gave me the "i'm watching you" look just to let me know who's boss :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

Eighteen... and a half. My parents are no fun. :( Don't really drink anyway so it never bothered me tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Couple of bottles here and there when 14, mainly family do's. Then when i was just over 15 i was allowed in moderation and once i turned 16 it was off ya go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

I was 10 and a half when I got my first ever alcoholic drink from my parents. I remember it because I had the drink to mark a special occasion. It was just an inch or two of bud mixed with 7up. It became a regular thing when I went into secondary, my mam used to give me the bud/7up mix whenever we used to watch TV together. My parents didn't mind me drinking once I only drank at home and since my dad managed a pub so there was always plently of drink in the house. It didn't make me an alcoholic. Now as an adult, I only drink once a week and never more than 3 or 4 bottles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

When i was about 12 my father gave me a half bottle of blue nun one easter. He thought it was great fun until I broke out of the house and terrorized the neighbourhood. It's the only time I can remember seeing double. In the end they had to lock in in a spare room that was completely empty because I was fighting with my own shadow and puking all over the place.

My uncle did the same thing to me once in the pub, he also regretted it. I'm not sure if that's the first time I had a drink or it was the day I became a pioneer and found a can of Heineken in a bush, something compelled me to drink the can, I like to think it was satan. When do you usually become a pioneer in national school?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Im 16 and I'm allowed drink around 4 o 5 pints around them.

My mam naively thinks I dont drink other then that though:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

I was allowed the odd can here and there when i turned 15/16 i think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Was just curious about something, what age were ye when ye were allowed have a can or two around the parents?

I was just turned 14 when I was allowed to have a few here and there.

18 and not before

my sister was allowed when she was 15

****ing double standards:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I can't believe that some parents let their 14 or 15 year old kids openly drink in front of them at home! Am i the only one who thinks this is completely wrong?

I didn't drink around my parents until i was 18/19. I wouldn't have been let before 18 even if i wanted to. And i certainly won't be letting any of my kids drink in front of me before they're 18 - a line has to be drawn somewhere. * A glass of wine with a meal is acceptable and should be encouraged, if only to promote a healthy respect for drink. But giving teens cans and bottles of lager and letting them do as they please is not on. Is it any wonder we have so much drunkedness and mayhem on our streets every weekend, when 14 year old kids are being left consume alcohol at home! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

grenache wrote: »
    I can't believe that some parents let their 14 or 15 year old kids openly drink in front of them at home! Am i the only one who thinks this is completely wrong?

I didn't drink around my parents until i was 18/19. I wouldn't have been let before 18 even if i wanted to. And i certainly won't be letting any of my kids drink in front of me before they're 18 - a line has to be drawn somewhere.

What we did and what our parents did are two different things. In order to understand teenage sons or daughters these days, you'd want to be on the ball. If you maintain old values, they will only be broken and sneered at by todays youths. As disturbing as that sounds, you have to face what your teenager faces every time they go out the front door.

You can either fight with them every inch of the way, or you can earn their trust and respect by being honest with one another - or be prepared to lose the fight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

grenache wrote: »

I didn't drink around my parents until i was 18/19. I wouldn't have been let before 18 even if i wanted to. And i certainly won't be letting any of my kids drink in front of me before they're 18 - a line has to be drawn somewhere. * A glass of wine with a meal is acceptable and should be encouraged, if only to promote a healthy respect for drink. But giving teens cans and bottles of lager and letting them do as they please is not on. Is it any wonder we have so much drunkedness and mayhem on our streets every weekend, when 14 year old kids are being left consume alcohol at home! :confused:

Well depends on what kind of drinking...
    French children often drink wine at meals with their families and I think that is the healthier attitude to alcohol. It's better than forbiding them to drink as they will do it anyway, even better as it is taboo, so binge drinking is what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

+1

Dad let us have sips of beer when we were younger - even at 16 he didn't mind us taking the odd drink in the house. Mum used to say - it's better you have a couple of drinks in the house where I can watch you rather than "knacker" drinking behind a hedge. Dad used to tell us that "there's nothing cool about drinking"
    Worked for us - 3 boys and none of us abuse alcohol - infact i gave it up from xmas last.
    Compared to my mate who's mum wouldn't even let her husband keep alcohol in the house or let him drink a can of shandy when he was younger - he now gets twisted every time he goes out - laughs and says that he's making up for it now - she still scolds him for going to the local pub - he's 35, married and has a kid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Originally Posted by grenache

I didn't drink around my parents until i was 18/19. I wouldn't have been let before 18 even if i wanted to. And i certainly won't be letting any of my kids drink in front of me before they're 18 - a line has to be drawn somewhere. * A glass of wine with a meal is acceptable and should be encouraged, if only to promote a healthy respect for drink. But giving teens cans and bottles of lager and letting them do as they please is not on. Is it any wonder we have so much drunkedness and mayhem on our streets every weekend, when 14 year old kids are being left consume alcohol at home!
    It might be more of societys problem in that as previous poster said , society has changed dramactically over last 20 years and if you want to retain the old values then there has to be an even playing field between parents and teen .If by having in moderation , a few drinks at home in order to have a better understanding and healthy respect for alcohol than surley that's better than hanging around some field getting blotto, although some teens will no doubt get an unhealthy taste for booze if one or both parents are boozers .

Not trying to re- route / off topic the thread but an article in todays London Evening Standard about responsible drinking campaign

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23720129-details/100m+responsible+drinking+campaign+begins/article.do

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Well I don't drink....

But I think I drank a can of coke in front of them when I was about 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I was getting served when i was 16....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I was allowed go to the pub when I was sixteen.

My grandad used to let me sip his guinness and have a smoke of his pipe for as long as I remember, and he died when I was 8 or nine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Seventeen. They're pretty laid back about it these days really. Up to seventeen though they weren't too cool with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement