Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What age were ya?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

markok84 wrote: »
    When I was 15 I came home one night after a heavy session on the hash pipe and after a few cans too. My eyes were so blood shot I looked like the spawn of satan. I convinced my ma that I was acting as chef at a BBQ and the smoke "stung" my eyes. She then proceeded to sniff my jacket and said "oh ya I can swell the charcoal" I had to bite my tounge to stop myself from laughing.

Do I remember "The Boss" taking quite a dislike to that same pipe at some stage?! Or was it Conor "The last Angry Man" O'Leary?

Never had any major interest in drinking until I was about 17-18 due to playing sports. That said, I do remember the elaborate schemes and planning that used to go into procuring a few cans and a bottle of whiskey, mighty craic. Then coming home fairly hammered and feeling a need to protest your innocence without ever being questioned in the first place.

I also remember my uncle giving me a can on the night of the millennium, would have been about 15-16, my parents were cool with it but an aunt from the other side of the family threw an almighty hissy fit. Then everyone laughed at her for about an hour, leading to her throwing a bigger hissy fit. It was fantastic. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭shivvyban

They used to keep the liquer cabinet in my room....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

I don't drink but did have the odd black Shoite @ 14 because of my Da giving me some Guinness the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Do I remember "The Boss" taking quite a dislike to that same pipe at some stage?! Or was it Conor "The last Angry Man" O'Leary?

The last angry man confiscated it on me alright, the bastard. I was promised I'd get it back but I never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

16!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Gear9992

When I was 14, my parents gave me my first glass of wine, which tasted like piss.

First time they let me have a can or two, i guess I was 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I know a guy (aussie) that has his son (4) trained to fetch him his beer, open it and even put the cooler thingy (what are they called?) around it for him.

A son that would truly make you proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

My parents were never big drinkers, both older than most of my peers parents and I guess in some ways they were "old value" types, but in a very modern way, everything {rules etc} was discussed and explained and I was encouraged to do my own research and thinking on things, especially regarding things like drink.
    There was very little alcohol in my house growing up, a glass of wine after christmas dinner. I never remember being told I couldn't and I never remember asking, although the alcohol should be respected talk was common enough. My uncles are heavy drinkers and at family functions I was offered drink, I guess I was 16 when I had my first drink with them, parents present Now I drink if I like the taste, Jameson is yummy :), but never drink to get drunk, {happened twice}. Still drinking little and infrequently, as do all my siblings except one.

Also totally off topic but I never got the appeal of knacker drinking:confused:. I just don't.. I like my alcohol consumed in warm, comfortable room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

15 also. Around the age I joined the FCA so my mam just said gwan shur if you want but be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Must have been 14. Lot of publicans in my family though so I was pulling pints aged 15. It seemed a good system to me. I had such a respect for booze I didnt get drunk properly till I was 18. Since then the respect has gone out the window but hey, can't blame the parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

I was 18, but they still weren't keen on me drinking. That was almost 2 years ago, and I'm sure my mam is still against me drinking. Very rarely drink at home still.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TorresDaLegend

Im 16 now, parents know i drink and arent happy about it but like there's nothing they can do really in fairness , they cant stop me from going outside , and outside is where i get drunk :P, but to me drink is this kind of forbidden fruit..

I dont think they mind when i go to Wezz because they know i clearly wouldnt go there sober :P , not many people would.. :D

So to answer the question, i drank the day the junior finished so i was 15 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im 16 now, parents know i drink and arent happy about it but like there's nothing they can do really in fairness , they cant stop me from going outside , and outside is where i get drunk :P, but to me drink is this kind of forbidden fruit..
    And here ladies and gentlemen is the issue at hand

And here ladies and gentlemen is the issue at hand

But it wouldnt be some kind of forbidden fruit if the parents gave me the odd can and i thought it was normal, because if i was drinking with them, i wouldnt be drinking to get drunk..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm 18 and still not able to drink at home :D . For some reason I grew out of getting pissed in about a week but the forbidden fruit aspect is the major issue that exists here tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

But it wouldnt be some kind of forbidden fruit if the parents gave me the odd can and i thought it was normal, because if i was drinking with them, i wouldnt be drinking to get drunk..
    Exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

it was like 3 months before my 18th i think, both parents are non drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I occasionally drank my parent's alcohol from about 15. But it wasn't until much later that they actually let me have some :D.

When i was almost 18 at christmas i asked could I have some alcohol (everyone else was drinking) and my parents reluctantly agreed. I asked for some whiskey and coke (my favourite drink at the time) and was told that they weren't starting me off on whiskey and coke :mad:. They offered me a beer but i declined.

They still think i didn't start drinking until 18 (although there were some very near misses) :cool:.

I'm 20 now. If I'm having a few friends over we'll be subtle about it and stay in my room.
    I'm not trying to hide that we're drinking, just the amount. My mam never really drank properly herself and regualrly warns me not to drink more than 2 pints :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Same, first drank just as I was going into transition year, aged 16. First drank with my parents about 6 months before I turned 18. And first got ****faced with my dad aged 21 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I didn't start drinking until I was 18. I'll always remember this one night when I was 17, it was a three weeks before my birthday, but even then I wouldn't touch the stuff and I remember driving my friends mad because I refused drink all the time, they were so anxious to get me onto the stuff but I wouldn't budge. For some reason the more they tried to convince me, the more I got it into my head that I didn't want to drink at all, and even after I turned 18 I refused to drink. But then she came along(My debs date) I remember I was in the taxi on the way to the debs(because I couldn't afford a Limo and I thought I missed the school bus going to the debs because my date was late, so I had to get a taxi all the way to Meath) And she asked me would I be drinking, I thought about it and decided to give it ago. 5 or 6 pints later and I was happy as Larry and having a great night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Had my first drink when I was 16 and started drinking properly at 17. My parents didn't care as long as I was responsible. They trusted me and thought I told them when I was drinking and how much.......How little they knew!

They don't really care about me drinking now at 20 and many a time my aul fella has suggested me taking a bottle of spirits to my friend's house before heading out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭jackbutler

I'm 16 and they don't mind.

My mum even buys me them when i go for a night out :)

jackbutler wrote: »

Lucky cnut ..

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Gear9992

wow, any chance we can switch parents? :)

My mum put a post-it on the cupboard where the beer is kept saying how many beers are in it, just so she knows I havn't taken any :(

I still get around it though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Not far from that stage myself, my theory is if I get caught drinking before I go out(usually vodka, which my parents told me not to drink), me Ma would figure it best to buy me a few cans and I drink them instead of vodka... Could work:D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JessieJames

Abigayle wrote: »
    Never drank around my parents as a teen. Often came home drunk though.

same think i was 13/14 when i started... :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Not far from that stage myself, my theory is if I get caught drinking before I go out(usually vodka, which my parents told me not to drink), me Ma would figure it best to buy me a few cans and I drink them instead of vodka... Could work:D

or could backfire:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I think I was allowed take a class of wine with dinner from 13/14. They trusted me with alcohol, I never really abused that trust while in their house. I would go out and have a few drinks with my work crowd from the age of 16 but they were a little older and I looked 18. My parents knew I was drinking and there was no problem as they knew I wasn't going (too) mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

dannym08 wrote: »
    or could backfire:pac:

Ah it won't she already has a fair idea we drink going out.. Me and me mates had were drinkin vodka goin 2 a disco and she was drivin us over in the car but 1 of mr mates decided ta bring a few bottles instead:mad:.. So we had ta bring a gearbag with them in the car and we told her we were keeping food and our jackets in it, we couldn't think of anything better:D. A few glares from the Ma and Da, but other than that nothing was said.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement