Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clutch issue

• 16-07-2009 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

I was driving home just now when I felt a snap and the clutch became loose. I immediately assumed the clutch cable had gone as I'd had this happen to me before, so I let the car roll to a stop and turned off the engine, but then I was able to start it normally and drove the last few feet home. Any ideas what's going on??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

RKDus wrote: »
    I was driving home just now when I felt a snap and the clutch became loose. I immediately assumed the clutch cable had gone as I'd had this happen to me before, so I let the car roll to a stop and turned off the engine, but then I was able to start it normally and drove the last few feet home. Any ideas what's going on??

make, model, year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭RKDus

Peugeot 206 LX 1.1 2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

I'd have a good look at the clutch cable to see has it come

loose from where its held, whats the mileage like on your car.

You might be able to adjust it get a few more miles out of

it. Usually 2 10mm spanners needed to tighten it up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Does that model have a ratchet adjustment in the clutch pedal?

If it has a ratchet the pawls could be worn, only a guess I hate peugeots

Muckie wrote: »
    I'd have a good look at the clutch cable to see has it come

loose from where its held, whats the mileage like on your car.

You might be able to adjust it get a few more miles out of

it. Usually 2 10mm spanners needed to tighten it up a bit.

45,000 miles are on it, and only about 7,000 since the clutch was replaced, is it an easy job to tighten the cable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Well then your clutch shouldnt be on the way out. Pop the bonnet.

Look for the cable, check its condition, they can fray and stretch.

Check for any play or the cable being loose.

Forgot to say check the connection to the clutch pedal too.

(came loose on a few fiestas there). There should be room for adjustment.

Alot of clutch cables run thru a fork have two 10mm bolts, hold one with

one spanner and twist till you tighten it on the cable, then bring the 2nd

nut tight with it.If not could you ask the mechanic who did the clutch to have a look. Hope that helps.

45,000 miles are on it, and only about 7,000 since the clutch was replaced, is it an easy job to tighten the cable?

It's handy enough OP, is the pedal going to the floor? What happens when you press the clutch pedal, both with the engine running and without?

Darragh29 wrote: »
    It's handy enough OP, is the pedal going to the floor? What happens when you press the clutch pedal, both with the engine running and without?

Seems perfectly fine, engine on and off! Nice and tight, drove around for five minutes with no problems. How strange...

Seems perfectly fine, engine on and off! Nice and tight, drove around for five minutes with no problems. How strange...

Well you're almost certainly into a clutch pedal issue there then I think. I think the pedal on your car has a ratchet type assembly, it's made of nylon and they can cause trouble sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭inlimboland

sorry to hijack but i couldnt find anywhere else...
    I was told i need a new clutch, 1200euro!
    passat 1.9
    Any advice on how to get it done cheaper?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

sorry to hijack but i couldnt find anywhere else...
    I was told i need a new clutch, 1200euro!
    passat 1.9
    Any advice on how to get it done cheaper?
    Thanks
    Best thing is to start a new thread, giving as much information as possible.

Advertisement