Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shopify.com

Options
  • 16-07-2009 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

hi All:rolleyes:,

Has anyone used shopify.com to construct an online shop? If so can you answer the below questions:

1. were you able to receive pymts in euros [as a US based site is it dollars only]?
    2. did you accept credit card pymts using some pymts processor like Realex and was this easy to incorporate into your website using shopify?

Google_Check_Out & Paypal_Pro come as part of the shopify hosting/design package but don't work in Ireland as yet as far as I know... most people would rather use their credit card/Laser than these services anyway.

I'm thinking of using shopify's cheapest hosting service [$24 per month] to get my site going and see if their is any demand for my products. If nothing is selling I can just cut my losses and walk away. In the future I'll hopefully contruct a more comprehensive website and get some cheaper hosting.

Seems to cost circa €2,000 and upwards for a professionally designed online shop with credit card facilities. It's a big outlay especially if it turns out that there is no demand...:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It accepts PayPal Website Payments Standard which works in Ireland.

This page has Ireland in the dropdown list of countries, so you should be fine.

I've integrated Realex with three OSCommerce sites, and it's been very easy to integrate. Their support department is very helpful. But the fees may not make it worth your while.
    contraflow wrote:
    Seems to cost circa €2,000 and upwards for a professionally designed online shop with credit card facilities. It's a big outlay especially if it turns out that there is no demand..

You'd probably get it cheaper, but even still - is it really that much of a big outlay considering other costs of doing business?

PS What are the rolleyes for?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 contraflow

Cheers Eoin... Eyes roll is for mentioning the possibility that there might be no demand for what I'm selling.

Once you applied to Realex, how long did it take them to set you up and also how long does it take for AIB or whichever bank you used to set up the Merchant Service Agreement which I presume I need to do first and then apply to Realex?

I'd like to become familiar with something like OSCommerce and put my own online shop in place in the future once I've tested the market. With OSCommerce do you need to be familiar with database design for customers details, account details, pymt info, etc. or does OSCommerce incorporate data management and retention within the program.
    eoin wrote: »
    It accepts PayPal Website Payments Standard which works in Ireland.

This page has Ireland in the dropdown list of countries, so you should be fine.

I've integrated Realex with three OSCommerce sites, and it's been very easy to integrate. Their support department is very helpful. But the fees may not make it worth your while.

You'd probably get it cheaper, but even still - is it really that much of a big outlay considering other costs of doing business?

PS What are the rolleyes for?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Once you applied to Realex, how long did it take them to set you up and also how long does it take for AIB or whichever bank you used to set up the Merchant Service Agreement which I presume I need to do first and then apply to Realex?

I wasn't involved with the application process, I just implemented the integration. I reckon it was probably a month, and these people were already existing merchants. I think there are some providers whose internet merchant account you use instead of having to get your own.

Check out this site:
    http://www.webpayments.ie/
    I'd like to become familiar with something like OSCommerce and put my own online shop in place in the future once I've tested the market. With OSCommerce do you need to be familiar with database design for customers details, account details, pymt info, etc. or does OSCommerce incorporate data management and retention within the program.

You only really need to be familiar with the DB structure if you are making changes to the code yourself.

From a day to day perspective, the Admin GUI has all the functionality you should need. Unfortunately the admin demo site is usually unavailable on the oscommerce site, but if you google for screenshots, you should get an idea of what it's like.

It's pretty easy to install if you want to play around with it. In fact, I keep meaning to put up a vanilla install on my hosting package. If I do that, I can send you on the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

contraflow wrote: »

Seems to cost circa €2,000 and upwards for a professionally designed online shop with credit card facilities. It's a big outlay especially if it turns out that there is no demand...:eek:

Surely it's a no brainer to do market research before you open a shop anyway!

From my experience of making online shops for years I can underlined one lesson thats a hard fact.
    Making something available to buy on the internet does not mean anyone will buy it.

Proper Ecommerce sites are an art and 2K is the starting point for the ones that actually make a good profit.

hi egan007... I suppose this initial foray into online selling is my market research, hence the low cost. I'm not saying I won't pay €2K and more in the future if that's what the situation calls for.
    egan007 wrote: »
    Surely it's a no brainer to do market research before you open a shop anyway!

From my experience of making online shops for years I can underlined one lesson thats a hard fact.
    Making something available to buy on the internet does not mean anyone will buy it.

Proper Ecommerce sites are an art and 2K is the starting point for the ones that actually make a good profit.

• Advertisement

I'm reading through the below website... very helpful thanks...:D
    eoin wrote: »

Check out this site:
    http://www.webpayments.ie/

Advertisement