Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Arts festival gigs so expensive?

Options
  • 16-07-2009 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

fleet foxes in dublin only costs 20 euro. but new york dolls and candi staton are 40 odd. it's stupid

innit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Hasn't there been a reduction/wipeout of funding from the Arts Council this year to many arts festivals? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

maybe? but they were pretty expensive last year as well.

it seems like false economics to me, cos judging by the amount of people who really want to go to these gigs but don't cos they're so ridiculously expensive - they'd probably make more money by reducing the price. i'd love to know how many tickets they've shifted

There have been a number of gigs I wanted to attend at the Arts Festival in recent years but refuse to due to the pricing. It's a joke tbh, expecting people to pay near 40 euro for a gig in the Roisin, one of the worst venues I have ever been to. It's fine when your'e pissed on a night out but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Forking out nearly €45 for David Grey is an absolute disgrace. He played the arts festival a few years back as a clapped out performer and now he is back again milking us for more money. His concert last time was a bore and wouldn't go near him again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

dec25532 wrote: »
    Forking out nearly €45 for David Grey is an absolute disgrace. He played the arts festival a few years back as a clapped out performer and now he is back again milking us for more money. His concert last time was a bore and wouldn't go near him again.

Ummm, so don't go then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

volunteer tbh. i've never paid to see anything in all my years going to it. sure you have to wear those silly little vests but meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Yup, the gigs in Roisin's do seem to be overpriced, I was going to go to a few but decided I'd sooner keep my money and maybe (just maybe) if enough punters stay away they'll learn their lesson and price accordingly next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Vote with your feet and sneak in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That's just the way Galway works, we're really beginning to take the piss at this stage and shot ourselves in the foot. People just won't pay this kind of money and all the knobs with more money than sense are on the dole, solution to problem? Raise prices. I'm actually looking forward to the complete and utter collapse of this country just so I can say "I told you so".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The Arts Festival always seems to be geared to certain tastes and pockets. Rather than attend anything last year I decided to spend over a week over at the Edinburgh Festival visiting some friends. Even when I include my flights and the sterling exchange rate at the time I think I got much better value than I would have here, and I got to see things I liked...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Have to agree - seems hotly expensive this year. compared to VOR when all entertainment was totally free- This may be the downfall of a great cultural festival - it will be inexessable to many who cant afford it (ie me) or those who wont pay the prices.
    I reckon lots of money is wasted on admin and freebies.

Oh BTW if any lovely person has a spare or unwanted ticket/tickets to New York Dolls let me know - cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

plenty of free gigs around Galway next week.... nothing to do with the Arts Festival but its a night free night out when everything is overpriced.

Sunday....
    TOUR_De_Nov_Galway3.jpg

Sally Longs
    Galway - July 19th-8:30pm (free gig)

De Novissimis

These lads (and lady) don't need an introduction - or a MySpace, apparently.
    Sludgy/Punky/Doomy... whatever you want to call it... two things are for sure: it's filthy and it's awesome.

www.myspace.com/t00kvlt

This Weary Hour

Starting out as a fairly run-of-the-mill Doom band, This Weary Hour have certainly cranked things up since their début demo. Foregoing gigging for most of the past year in favour of writing and assembling a formidable line-up, the band are now on the verge of recording their second release. Unable to pin-down the direction of which the new material is taking just yet, the latest posters claim that it is something of Doom-influenced Atmospheric Sludge. There's Hardcore in there too... somewhere... And plenty of melancholy. Guess all will be revealed when the new EP makes it out next month.

www.myspace.com/thiswearyhour

Nëifënbach

Unable to decide whether they play Hardcore-Influenced Metal, or Metal-Influenced Hardcore, if the quality of the wealth of other bands these lads (and, again, ladies) have played in (Only Fumes & Corpses, The Boy You Hit Is Dead, Fulcrum, Drainland, Serpents and Rednecks On Speed, to name but a handful) has any indication - you know it's gotta be good.

www.myspace.com/neifenbach

Wölflinge

Having shared a stage howling and yelping with both Phil Minton's Feral Choir and Weirding Vessel at the previous two Colour Out of Space festivals in Brighton, guesting with Ben Reynolds + Cian Nugent (trio), the Quiet Club, Agitated Radio Pilot and Vomit Nest back home in Ireland, as well as nursing projects Female Orphan Asylum, Homobonus, United Bible Studies, Eachtra and most recently, a new collaboration with 'Noise/Music A History' author, Paul Hegarty (http://www.dotdotdotmusic.com), Wölflinge has been hailed as "The Queen Bee of Irish Noise".

Wölflinge is the curator of Black Sun (www.myspace.com/solnigerire) , a new monthly weirdo/outer limits music night which takes place in the Granary Theatre, Cork. She is also involved with the cataloguing, preserving and promoting of the UCC Boole Library's collection of vinyl records and cassettes.

Vicky will be armed with violin, pedals, a self-built 'Special Noise Unit' designed by Berlin based engineer Jo Frgmnt (http://tob.de.vu/) and a fetal listening device which is used as an intimate gesture, amplifying heartbeat and on occasion, the body's secret groans and stirrings...

www.myspace.com/thewickermammy

Paul Hegarty will join Vicky in Galway and Cork.

Monday 20th ....
    "Blasterbra play Underground at the Cellar this Monday night as part of their Galway Arts Festival programme.

Also playing on the night are Lost Chord and Go Panda Go

It's freeeee!"

Wednesdays.....
    Free metal/rock/punk DJ night in Sally Longs.
    Thursday 30th....
    "Strange Brew Summer Shindig 5

Giveamanakick
    Disconnect 4
    Lost Chord
    Jogging
    Music For Dead Birds
    The Funeral Suits
    Feed The Bears
    Walter Mitty & The Realists
    DJ: gugai

Thu 30 Jul
    €10

Free tickets on the website. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tikkal

Can't compare VOR with GAF. You have major international acts at GAF, transport and logistics included, will factor in on the price. Granted, Roisins is a tad expensive for the venue of limited seating etc. VOR had massive sponsorship. On the Volunteer basis, you are treated well as a Volunteer with GAF. VOR had you doing 8 hour shifts (sometimes you had to stand for hours in the rain!), OK you can't control the weather but you got a measly sandwich and cup of tea for your efforts, OH yeah apparently the 'volunteer party!' they donated 'one free drink' - not that they bothered to notify the volunteers of the Party. Shocking. So therefore cost wise the VOR had basically a very low cost base for labour (stewarding/crowd control) so they could flaunt the money elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

On a related note, the Town Hall Theatre has apparently started clamping down on concessions. If you ask for a concession (Student, OAP, Unemployed), they ask which type (there are a couple of others but not listed).

If it is unemployed you say, apparently, they REFUSE to accept it with just a RSI card now ("'cause anyone can have them). They insist on a 'receipt of payment'. My friend told them he gets dole into his bank account, but they wouldn't accept this!:eek:

They WILL lose business over trying to save this euro or 2 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

€45 for Booker T in the Róisín???

Yeah he is a musical legend, but by the time the lady and I are in the door and wetting our whistle, I'm already down one ton. Not cool of a Tuesday evening. Not cool at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tikkal wrote: »
    Can't compare VOR with GAF. You have major international acts at GAF, transport and logistics included, will factor in on the price. Granted, Roisins is a tad expensive for the venue of limited seating etc. VOR had massive sponsorship. On the Volunteer basis, you are treated well as a Volunteer with GAF. VOR had you doing 8 hour shifts (sometimes you had to stand for hours in the rain!), OK you can't control the weather but you got a measly sandwich and cup of tea for your efforts, OH yeah apparently the 'volunteer party!' they donated 'one free drink' - not that they bothered to notify the volunteers of the Party. Shocking. So therefore cost wise the VOR had basically a very low cost base for labour (stewarding/crowd control) so they could flaunt the money elsewhere.

And VOR had a large sum (8 million from memory, don't quote me) from Bord Falite, aka the government, aka the taxpayer, aka people who are working. I don't think the GAF gets quite so much.

Whether the prices are OTT depends on whether the seats are all selling. Some folks do still have money, and probably are will to pay for what they consider to be a quality event. Personally, I went to six or seven things last year, but this time there's not so much that interests me (which is kinda handy 'cos don't have so much money this year !)

I totally agree re VOR and volunteers: IMHO everyone who's working an essential role (ie minimum number of safety/usher staff) should get paid at least minimum wage. Volunteers should only be used for nice-to-have service levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

.....they'd probably make more money by reducing the price. i'd love to know how many tickets they've shifted

Yeah but then it wouldn't be the type of people they want there. :rolleyes: I've never found the Arts Festival to be very inclusive - I think it should be mostly free. Also thought it was targeted at the tweed wearing, humus eating, wine-drinking at gallery openings type people!

To be honest, i never considered before that the arts festival was an exclusive thing...bit of an eye-opener. pisses me off even more if that is the case

The Arts Festival has always been expensive. I hope to God that people wont pay these prices, they will sell feck all tickets and be made a mockery of. Because that is exactly what they have become - a mockery. It is no longer about providing quality entertainment like it was when I was a child (and that wasn't even that long ago) - it's about milking money from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Meh, I have seen nothing in the festival programme that would interest me too much this year, previous years have been a lot better.

Hopefully the Macnas parade tonight will be the highlight (and free too of course).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Meh, I have seen nothing in the festival programme that would interest me too much this year, previous years have been a lot better.

Hopefully the Macnas parade tonight will be the highlight (and free too of course).

And why is it on sunday night at 10? People have to work tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

To take advantage of adding light and fire to the event I assume...

Could always have been on Friday or Saturday I suppose. Thought it'd have been on last night myself. But meh - I'm not working tomorrow! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    If it is unemployed you say, apparently, they REFUSE to accept it with just a RSI card now ("'cause anyone can have them). They insist on a 'receipt of payment'. My friend told them he gets dole into his bank account, but they wouldn't accept this!:eek:

They WILL lose business over trying to save this euro or 2 I'd say.

Yup, I've run into this one myself.

They will face a backlash, not least from people who are unemployed/un-waged but not eligible for any benefit at all: for example arts-fan types who were self employed in the relevant-tax-year ('tis quite common: lots of arty-folks are self-employed, so not necessarily entitled to anything).

If it affects you, I'd suggest writing to the manager, the more people who do, the more chance of having the policy reviewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Foxerella

Cant believe that about Town Hall Theatre.
    WTF? Protest with our pockets, they'll soon be glad of a concession or two

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DaveMaC

A few friends of mine paid a fortune to see a dance show [it was seriously sh1t], later that same night they met one of the performers who apologised out of sheer embarrassment -they only got their dance moves 1 hour before the gig -apparently Galway is just rehearsals before they go to Edinburgh. nice -we get to pay to see their feckin rehearsals -what a frigging scam ...unfortunately typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

We listened to David Gray from the boat last night (didn't bother heading accross the canal as we had plenty of cold beer in the fridge :D) - WOW i'm glad that I stayed where I did and didn't pay 40+ euro for it - i'd have been raging if I did... no encore or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

And why is it on sunday night at 10? People have to work tomorrow!
    I thought they'd go for Sunday because everyones out drinking on the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Bon Iver... I was really looking forward to seeing him, but €33 is just too expensive... especially when you include transport and someplace to stay..:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

ScumLord wrote: »
    I thought they'd go for Sunday because everyones out drinking on the Saturday.

Exactly. So logically... have it saturday!
    People can stop drinking for 5 minutes and 45 seconds to applaud at some students and then the world keeps on turning.

Advertisement