Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Arts festival gigs so expensive?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

pearliefan wrote: »
    Bon Iver... I was really looking forward to seeing him, but €33 is just too expensive... especially when you include transport and someplace to stay..:(

Of all the gigs on I really wanted to go to this too, no surprise that it hasn't sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Regardless of price, most gigs are selling out.

Booker T last night was sold out quite early.

Couldn't move for how packed it was.

Awesome gig, for those of you that didn't attend.

Would have loved to see Booker T but being sick in bed the past week meant it was not to be. Well that and the fact that I despise gigs in the Roisin, it's too small to be seriously considered a concert venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Haven't gone to anything in 3 years. Overpriced, and I will never go to a gig in the Raddisson.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Of all the gigs on I really wanted to go to this too, no surprise that it hasn't sold out

It hasn't sold out? it would be just that bit easier to accept if I couldn't go because it was sold out as well as too expensive..:pac:

would the high prices be something to do with the artists?? like....alot of them wouldn't want to play for little money... or would there be a way around that? sponsers or something..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Eurochild

We went to four things in the Arts Festival this year, the Gigli Concert was one of the preview nights so only cost €16, Alexander Balanescu with Contempo was €20 as was the Neil Cowley Trio, while a Midsummer Night's Dream was the most expensive at €25. All four shows were brilliant, a Midsummer Night's Dream in particular is an absolutely top class production. So I'm not sure the charges that "its all too expensive" and "there's nothing good on anyway" really stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

Eurochild wrote: »
    We went to four things in the Arts Festival this year, the Gigli Concert was one of the preview nights so only cost €16, Alexander Balanescu with Contempo was €20 as was the Neil Cowley Trio, while a Midsummer Night's Dream was the most expensive at €25. All four shows were brilliant, a Midsummer Night's Dream in particular is an absolutely top class production. So I'm not sure the charges that "its all too expensive" and "there's nothing good on anyway" really stand up.

you're being selective.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Maybe (just maybe) I'm being contrary but I thought it took the backing group quite awhile to find their groove (particularly the guitarist from The Howl) which took the edge off a bit. That said, they definitely finished really well and were generous with the encore songs (4 or 5 after Booker T announced the last song?)

you're being selective.

Well of course I am, my point being that you can vote with your feet if you think some of the high profile gigs are overpriced (which I agree they are) and still enjoy the arts festival.. without breaking the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

Anyone else think the bigtop lineup is pretty awful compared to last year?! I mean the only night that i would have thought about going is Tuesday to see David Kitt & David Gray!
    When you look at last year i mean Blondie, KT Tungstal, Tom Baxter, Ash and the Dandy Warhols compared to Kitt, Gray, Bon Iver and Primal scream!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Bon Iver was unbelievable!! All the better that I got in for free too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Anyone else think the bigtop lineup is pretty awful compared to last year?! I mean the only night that i would have thought about going is Tuesday to see David Kitt & David Gray!
    When you look at last year i mean Blondie, KT Tungstal, Tom Baxter, Ash and the Dandy Warhols compared to Kitt, Gray, Bon Iver and Primal scream!

Isnt it purely subjective - one persons hell is another persons heaven. For me the Primal Scream and Spiritualized gig is absolute heaven and cant wait though appreciate for others it will leave them cold ( as KT, Tom Baxter and Ash do with me).

As for gig prices they are expensive for the majority of music acts (appreciate this doesnt apply to a lot of the arts festival theatre etc) as am sure a lot of people reading this thread will have illegal downloads on their computers. The only way bands can guarantee money now as royalties get less is to hike up gig prices, so if any of you have illegal downloads on your computer it is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black to criticise high gig prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Webbs wrote: »
    Isnt it purely subjective - one persons hell is another persons heaven. For me the Primal Scream and Spiritualized gig is absolute heaven and cant wait though appreciate for others it will leave them cold ( as KT, Tom Baxter and Ash do with me).

As for gig prices they are expensive for the majority of music acts (appreciate this doesnt apply to a lot of the arts festival theatre etc) as am sure a lot of people reading this thread will have illegal downloads on their computers. The only way bands can guarantee money now as royalties get less is to hike up gig prices, so if any of you have illegal downloads on your computer it is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black to criticise high gig prices.

Well maybe yeah but if the bands are charging so much that people aren't bothered to go see them then they won't buy their music as quickly either. Anyway, I have a feeling (pure speculation based on no solid facts whatsoever) that it's the arts festival crowd that are dictating the prices and are pricing to make as much profit as possible. that in itself may not be a bad thing but are all these €37 gigs in Roisin's selling out? I doubt it, they might have made more money and sold out more gigs if they priced a little lower.

Webbs wrote: »

yo. as the original poster, i'd like to point out that i purchase my music from legal sites/shops.

cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

m83 wrote: »
    Bon Iver was unbelievable!! All the better that I got in for free too :)

How'd ya manage that?! Talking nicely or did ya have a contact? ;)

We did the live equivalent to downloading the album - we sat across the river from the tent and enjoyed the gig! :D Could hear it pretty good as the side of the tent isn't fully closed off.

Sconsey wrote: »
    Anyway, I have a feeling (pure speculation based on no solid facts whatsoever) that it's the arts festival crowd that are dictating the prices and are pricing to make as much profit as possible.

The Arts Festival is non-profit. There's some info on their website about the numbers:
    HOW THE FESTIVAL IS FUNDED
    In 2008 Galway Arts Festival cost €2.25 million to produce. The Festival featured theatre, spectacle, dance, visual arts, music, literature and comedy and involved over four hundred artists and performers.

2008 INCOME BREAKDOWN
    We are very grateful for the following revenue sources which helped fund the 2008 Festival and we would like to maintain and hopefully increase this level of support in 2009.

Public Sector Grants 35%
    Ticket Sales 39%
    Sponsorship & Friends Scheme incl. in kind support* 25%
    Other Earned Income 1%

(* In-kind support includes accommodation for artists, box office venue, marketing and advertising)

All income generated goes towards producing the Festival each year. Galway Arts Festival is a registered charity and a not-for-profit organisation.

In 2008, the Festival employed 4 full time and 102 part-time staff and was also supported by 165 volunteers.

The festival director was defending ticket prices recently, and also challenging comparisons with the Volvo Ocean Race:
    Fahy said that the recent Galway Volvo Ocean Race free shore festival received support of €1.1 million from Galway City Council, in addition to “figures variously reported” from a number of State agencies.

“Compare this to Galway Arts Festival’s €48,000 from Galway City Council in 2008, €565,000 from the Arts Council and €143,000 from Fáilte Ireland,” he said, pointing out that the festival was a non-profit organisation.

“I’m sure if Galway Arts Festival benefited to the tune of €1.1 million from the local authority and in excess of €10m from other State agencies we could and would present an entire festival without admission charges,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

having been into the box office several times it seemed like practically every event had a red dot or yellow dot on the schedule poster for sold out or limited availability so i guess the orgainsers would deem it a massive success...

having been into the box office several times it seemed like practically every event had a red dot or yellow dot on the schedule poster for sold out or limited availability so i guess the orgainsers would deem it a massive success...

oh well. looks like we need a bigger recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where I come from, every two years there's an international arts festival, with high-brow, expensive events.

And every year, at the same time as the "big" festival, there's a Fringe Festival with "works" (in the broadest sense) from those who are alternative, emerging, etc.

I can't help but think that Galway could support this kind of model. Yes, it would put some pressure on venues - but actually Galway has a LOT of places that could be used for performance at times they're not usually used. No, it wouldn't attract tourist dollars from overseas and across Ireland - but it would provide social inclusion and a platform for emerging artists, and generate festival spending from those who find that the "big" gigs are too expensive.

Hmm, I wonder if anyone with the art-world connections to make this happen reads boards ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tikkal

Project '06 was Galway's Fringe Festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Okay, I know I'm posting this loooong after the festival is over, but this is a big issue of mine. I brought this issue up at a forum during the Arts festival some years ago.

The difference between a concession ticket and full price is €2 (usually tickets are €20 and €22 say), however, the difference in the 80's between ticket prices in Druid in Galway were £2 (£6 and £8). That means it's getting more and more expensive to go to plays in Galway if you qualify for a concession. In my opinion that's the "exclusive" factor.

That also means, as a parent, you're less inclined to bring the kids cos it costs too much. And just for the record, children who are brought to the theatre and gigs, are more likely to attend as adults... the future generation of theatre goers.

I think most children over 12 are well able to go to a play with their parents, but I simply couldn't bring my son to much cos of the price. I think it is VITAL that these organsiations rethink the concession price.

And just for the record, if I have money that year, I "do" the Arts festival, catching plenty of shows however, if I don't have any cash in any given year, I just don't look at the programme.

Best value is the Baboro festival, some of it's shows are booked because they are deemed "family" shows, however, they may not have started out that way, they just didn't have sex and nudity and were modest in size so Baboro books them...... and they're terrific!!!! :D

Advertisement