Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexworlds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Site has been updated with guests

http://www.wexworlds.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Oh dear. RTE had a report on Morning Ireland ([URL="javascript:player.play(2652751,%20'2652751',%20'real',%20209);updateInfo(2652751)"]here[/URL]) but 75% of it was spent talking about "New Moon". Don't know if the organisers are reading this, but I wouldn't have been impressed if I was them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I took my son to their comic making workshop on the saturday. He took his own comics and characters that he had made and 2 of the guys from 2000AD were so impreseed by his creativity actually drew two of his characters for him. Needless to say im getitng them framed for him. I cant remember thier names, but they dated and signed them for him.

They also had some of their orignal art work on show, and it looked fantascic. The detail was out of this world, or outa wexworld anwyays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Harmsden

Popped down to see what Eoin Colfer and Darren Shan were like in the flesh. Had a complete blast. Very relaxed and friendly atmosphere. A lot families there, adding weight to the idea of it being a festival instead of a convention. Very sweet to see authors like Sarah Rees Brennan, Michael Carroll and Oisin McGann mixing with torrents of enthusiastic kids.

I missed the Friday and I had to leave early on the Sunday, but highlights included: Dr Emma J King explaining Time Travel with the help of a fake Tardis and a pair of stomptacular, knee-high boots. Eoin Colfer demonstrating his stand-up comedian credentials during an 'And Another Thing' Q&A, effortlessly fielding questions from kids and grown-ups and grown-up kids. Readings by Brennan, Carroll, McDonald and McGann spooked, tittered and titilated (a reading by McDonald, based on fact, called 'The Mellified Man' hasn't left my head for weeks.) Very nice cabaret night featuring dancers, singers and yet more readings. All artists and authors gave lots of their time to chat with readers and fans.

Lowlights? I know cabaret is a mix of everything, but I felt a little ambushed by the poetry readings. Maybe I'm allergic to poetry. Maybe I'm allergic to rhyming poetry. Maybe I'm allergic to rhyming poetry with an SF slant. Whatever the case, it wasn't my cup of tea.

Also, I forgot to pay for a lattè at one of the events, I think it was in the Wexford Book Centre. Was talking to some authors, had to run for a train and no sooner had it pulled away, me on board, when I remembered I hadn't paid. It's a small thing, but it nags.

Apart from that it was a very fun, relaxing weekend.

EDIT: Really nice to meet Herbie Brennan. I've always been into fairytales, myth and folklore. He signed a copy of 'Faerie Wars' and chatted about OR Melling, a major writer of Irish fantasy. Just realized the other day he wrote 'Frankenstella and the Videoshop Monster'. That's beside 'The Wolves in the Walls' in the list of books I love reading to kids.

• Advertisement
Advertisement