Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on buying my first scanner!

• 16-07-2009 2:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody!

I've been thinking of buying a scanner for a while now and i've finally decided to bite the bullet!

Just looking for a bit of advice on which scanner out of these would be the best to get:

Uniden UBC 30 XLT
    Alinco DJ-X2
    Uniden UBC-69XLT

Just want to listen to aviation mainly and maybe fire brigade too the odd time to see what the owl fella is up to!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 agriffin

the Alinco DJ-X2 would be the better buy covers 522 KHz ~ 1 GHz

Uniden UBC-69XLT does not cover Airband
    and the Uniden UBC 30 XLT only covers 87.5-107.9, 108-137, 137-174MHz
    which includes
    aviation but not sure about fire brigade.
    if its between the 3 the Alinco seems to be the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

What is your budget for the scanner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd make sure and get one with a keypad to enter frequencies and recall memories.

I have a cheaper Uniden that does Air band. Uniden UBC68XLT aka Uniden Bearcat 80 ch UK band Radio Scanner. It works well for Weather Satellite FM 137MHz as the IF is not narrow. It works well on Marine, Ham, VHF LOW, Band II, VHF High. UHF low
    66MHz to 510MHz I think, AM or FM

I have Yaesu VR500 pocket scanner (also with keypad). Does regular or Narrow AM, WBFN, FM, NBFM, SSB (USB/LSB) etc 100kHz to 1300MHz no gaps. It's not so handy for Weather satellite ironically due to better IF. You have to tune to compensate for doppler shift on Satellites.

You need a roof aerial, ideally a Discone.

Advertisement