Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammo Laws

Options
  • 16-07-2009 3:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey lads what are the ammo laws in Ireland and whats needed to buy ammo e.g firearm cert i.d

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need a licence and the licence specifies a limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Victor wrote: »
    You need a licence and the licence specifies a limit.

And the calibre.

It's a firearms licence because you obviously don't need to buy ammunition unless you own a firearm to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bibyrnez

Yes but im down from the north and i have my spas with me and i ran out of rounds yesterday so i am f**ked till i go back up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

bibyrnez wrote: »
    Yes but im down from the north and i have my spas with me and i ran out of rounds yesterday so i am f**ked till i go back up?

If you have a firearm down here with you you presumably have a licence in the south. If so you can but ammo in any gunshop on production of the licence.

If you haven't a licence let us know your details and location and we will solve the no ammo situation quickly:cool:

I have a northren licence :P so the Gunshop mightnet me to happy.Im only looking for some 2 3/4 shells just 10 because theres these fat jusicy rabits around Kerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

bibyrnez, if you're down here with a firearm and a N.Ireland FAC, you're in possession of an unlicenced firearm, which is fairly solidly illegal.
    The FAC's pretty much worthless in the ROI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No dealer is going to sell you ammo without a valid FAC issued by the Gardaí.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I have a northren licence :P so the Gunshop mightnet me to happy.Im only looking for some 2 3/4 shells just 10 because theres these fat jusicy rabits around Kerry
    if you're stopped by a guard , you're in a heap of trouble ,

it amazes me that a licence is needed for air gun pellets , inert pieces of lead !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Troll methinks, SPAS, Northern FAC, seems a bit unlikely.

Thansk for the help lads,i went to the local Garda station spoke to a very nice Super and he gave me a temp Irish FAC for 10 rounds of 2 3/4
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    Troll methinks, SPAS, Northern FAC, seems a bit unlikely.

Your a awful ass,just becasue i have a combat shotgun and im from the north dosnt mean im a Para or what ever your head thinks

• Advertisement

I wouldn't assume troll straight off, some people are totally ignorant of the firearms laws here and everyone has responded correctly to his posts.

To the OP

For us to shoot in Northern Ireland, we need a visitor's permit sponsored by a resident of NI and issued by the PSNI.

For someone from NI to shoot in Ireland, they need a full firearms certificate isssued by the Gardai, the details of which can be found on the Garda website: www.garda.ie

The cost of this is €25 for a shotgun and €38 for a rifle/pistol for a year. It's also helpful to have an EU firearms pass which is free.

Iin the very near future we are switching to a three year licence and the cost of this is estimated to be somewhere between €80 and €100 for any type of firearm. You need a separate certificate for each firearm licensed.

Hope this clears up everything for you.

I'm sure the Gardai in Kerry are far too busy to be stopping and searching every NI registered vehicle they see :eek:

Thansk for the help lads,i went to the local Garda station spoke to a very nice Super and he gave me a temp Irish FAC for 10 rounds of 2 3/4

Excellent result! Give that Super a clap on the back for sensible aplication of the firearms laws and helping the tourist industry.

Enjoy your shooting bibyrnez :)

rrpc wrote: »
    I wouldn't assume troll straight off, some people are totally ignorant of the firearms laws here and everyone has responded correctly to his posts.

To the OP

For us to shoot in Northern Ireland, we need a visitor's permit sponsored by a resident of NI and issued by the PSNI.

For someone from NI to shoot in Ireland, they need a full firearms certificate isssued by the Gardai, the details of which can be found on the Garda website: www.garda.ie

The cost of this is €25 for a shotgun and €38 for a rifle/pistol for a year. It's also helpful to have an EU firearms pass which is free.

Iin the very near future we are switching to a three year licence and the cost of this is estimated to be somewhere between €80 and €100 for any type of firearm. You need a separate certificate for each firearm licensed.

Hope this clears up everything for you.

I'm sure the Gardai in Kerry are far too busy to be stopping and searching every NI registered vehicle they see :eek:

What dose Troll mean exactly guys?

Yea i was talking to the Super and he basicly issued me with a tempory FAC.Up north you dont need a cert to buy ammo,well iv never been asked before

Someone who posts on a forum something controversial or insulting in order to get a reaction.
    Yea i was talking to the Super and he basicly issued me with a tempory FAC.Up north you dont need a cert to buy ammo,well iv never been asked before
    Actually, you do. Your FAC is supposed to be a record of your ammo purchases for the lifetime of that FAC. The dealer is supposed to record the details on one of the pages (can't remember which).

The temporary FAC is called a permit or authorisation and is within the Super's powers to issue to anyone. That's why I said it was such a sensible approach.

Someone who posts on a forum something controversial or insulting in order to get a reaction.

Actually, you do. Your FAC is supposed to be a record of your ammo purchases for the lifetime of that FAC. The dealer is supposed to record the details on one of the pages (can't remember which).

So if im serched up north and i have un recorded rounds i could get in trouble so?I better get on to my dealer so,

So if im serched up north and i have un recorded rounds i could get in trouble so?I better get on to my dealer so,

I'm not sure if it's you or the dealer who gets a slap on the wrist. If you're over your limit (I presume you still have ammo limits on the NI FAC?) then you would be in trouble alright.

I'm not sure if it's you or the dealer who gets a slap on the wrist. If you're over your limit (I presume you still have ammo limits on the NI FAC?) then you would be in trouble alright.

Yes theres a limit im limited to 25 .410 and 20 2 3/4-15 buckshot

Yes theres a limit im limited to 25 .410 and 20 2 3/4-15 buckshot
    Those are very low limits. The standard limit here is 100 rounds of anything usually. Is this because of the firearm you have?

Tbh im not sure maybe becasue lads were selling the rounds for paras to make IEDs so they limit it.But my Spas 12 (frenchie) is a 9 round nternal mag but is ment to be redused to 3 rounds so i wouldnt imagine its the gun itself maybe just its combat potental

As for the .410 rounds im useing a BSA .410 bold action shotgun shes old but lovly some would say a ladys shotgun but i think its sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Hey lads what are the ammo laws in Ireland and whats needed to buy ammo e.g firearm cert i.d

Some good Info on this Link http://www.nargc.ie/site.aspx NARGC FRONT page.

It helps to let you see that there are people out there helping us.

Read and get informed.

Sikamick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Excellent result! Give that Super a clap on the back for sensible aplication of the firearms laws and helping the tourist industry.

Enjoy your shooting bibyrnez :)

What what??? Jeez if the OP ended up being prosecuted for breaching the firearms acts -and he could have been - you'd be giving out. How can people go on about inconsistency on the part of Supers but then applaud selective or 'sensible' application when it suits?

I don't understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Interesting story and a good result for you but IMO you were lucky;).

PS Trolling is really a method or style of fishing. Simply the fishermen drift with the tide (along the shoar line) and cast the nets at the best spots for maximum gain. So a cyber troll is someone he crashes a thread at the correct time with an outrageous post in order to gain maximum exposure and maximum response.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Tbh im not sure maybe becasue lads were selling the rounds for paras to make IEDs so they limit it.

But my Spas 12 (frenchie) is a 9 round nternal mag but is ment to be redused to 3 rounds so i wouldnt imagine its the gun itself maybe just its combat potental

No Game hunting laws..It is jolly unsporting old chap to blaze away at game with more than three shots up in NI ,ROI and the UKwith one of those contraptions. But perfectly ok and jolly good sport to have a loader with you to keep up a rate of fire from a grouse butt with two dbbl barrels,that would shame any semi.:eek:
    A SPAS.Thats a hefty yoke to be lugging out on a shooting trip.Paddle saftey or button saftey?

As for the .410 rounds im useing a BSA .410 bold action shotgun shes old but lovly some would say a ladys shotgun but i think its sweet
    Actually known as a "Garden gun "that type[BSA].Ladies calibres are usually 20,24and 28 and 410 being considerd a "youths or garden gun";)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

BornToKill wrote: »
    What what??? Jeez if the OP ended up being prosecuted for breaching the firearms acts -and he could have been - you'd be giving out. How can people go on about inconsistency on the part of Supers but then applaud selective or 'sensible' application when it suits?

I don't understand this.

Maybe because the Super handled this with common sense logically and diplomatically?
    Lad is from NI,has NI FAC,[obviously not a criminal]has gun,wanted to be on right side of the ROI law,[Shows responsibility],presents himself at Garda station to explain the situation etc[Where he could have been arrested,causing much trouble and headache and paperwork for all involved] and that he wants to shoot over the weekend,Super issues a extremly limited temp FAC for ROI[And proably lecture on making sure paperwork is in order for next visit by bibyrnez.:D]
    Ergo,a most sensible and wise Superintendant,who didnt see a need to make Mount Everest from a mole hill.Would that there more of his/her like.
    Ignoreance of the law...etc etc..But then the law must be comprehensible to the common man so he cannot be ignorant of it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I don't understand this.

I actually don't understand your attitude BtK. The Super acted correctly in my opinion. The chap was in this jurisdiction with a firearm that he had a NI FAC for and no Irish FAC. I know ignorancia juris reminem excusat and all that, but the guy is obviously a licence holder, has inadvertently ended up in the district without the proper paperwork and the Super decided to issue the correct paperwork with the minimum of fuss.

And how would my 'giving out' about a possible prosecution be inconsistent with my applauding the Super for fixing the problem? Prosecuting the guy would have been completely pointless and would have only damaged our tourist industry.

If you read the thread fully, I gave complete instructions as did others on the correct way to deal with the situation in future. There was not much any of us could do other than advise him to go home with the firearm or talk to the Gardai. He chose the latter course and got the right result.

At the end of the day, the local Super is the man who gets to make the decisions and that's totally in line with the firearms acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

At the end of the day, the local Super is the man who gets to make the decisions and that's totally in line with the firearms acts.

Not quite now, rrpc. The local Superintendent makes his/her decisions in accordance with the firearms law and many would be quick to criticise if he did not or began making up laws.

In this case the OP has travelled from NI all the way down to Kerry with a SPAS which is not licensed for import, possession or use in the Republic. You don't see any problem with that?

I'm frankly amazed that anyone would put a gun into their car or a bag and set off for another jurisdiction (and I am not inviting a political argument on N. Ireland) without thinking to make enquiries and get the paperwork in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I'm frankly amazed that anyone would put a gun into their car or a bag and set off for another jurisdiction (and I am not inviting a political argument on N. Ireland) without thinking to make enquiries and get the paperwork in place.
    I agree 100% with you.

• Advertisement

Not quite now, rrpc. The local Superintendent makes his/her decisions in accordance with the firearms law and many would be quick to criticise if he did not or began making up laws.
    And what he did was completely in accordance with the law. He had two choices: prosecute the guy for possession of an unlicensed firearm or give hime an authorisation to cover his mistake. That's completely within his powers and not at all inconsistent with anything.
    In this case the OP has travelled from NI all the way down to Kerry with a SPAS which is not licensed for import, possession or use in the Republic. You don't see any problem with that?
    Yes I do and pointed it out to the OP as to the error of his ways.
    I'm no longer amazed at anything I hear.

Advertisement