Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammo Laws

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

rrpc wrote: »
    He had two choices: prosecute the guy for possession of an unlicensed firearm or give hime an authorisation to cover his mistake. That's completely within his powers and not at all inconsistent with anything.

No rrpc. Section 2 of the 1925 Act says:

2. —(1) Subject to the exceptions from this section hereinafter mentioned, it shall not be lawful for any person after the commencement of this Act to have in his possession, use, or carry any firearm or ammunition save in so far as such possession, use, or carriage is authorised by a firearm certificate granted under this Act and for the time being in force.

A Superintendent doesn't write the laws - that's the function of the Oireachtas. I do think there should be some flexibility in the system. Other people have been demanding that Superintendents must slavishly implement the law and were quite quick on occasion to go to court to make sure that they did.

In this case, the law is quite clear and the OP had broken it. It's quite a serious law too and he could have faced 1-7 years in jail. Now, I'm not claiming anything would have been served by prosecuting someone for this offence but either we want the law fully implemented (applications) or we want Superintendents to use discretion (prosecution).

One final point, the Superintendent has no power that I am aware of to issue an authorisation in this situation. Perhaps it was a non-residents FAC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

BornToKill wrote: »
    No rrpc. Section 2 of the 1925 Act says:
    Section 2 of the act says a lot of things and quite a few more than just the penalty for possession of a firearm without a certificate. It goes on for over two pages and lists eighteen different exceptions to the requirement for a firearms certificate. The most important subsections of section 2 (which relate to this) are subsections (3) and (4) which outline the situation where it is not an offence to have a firearm without a certificate.

I'll point you to one of those subsections which I believe the Superintendent could have acted upon

Subsection 3(a): the possession or carriage of a firearm under and in accordance with a permit issued under this Act and for the time being in force
    A Superintendent doesn't write the laws - that's the function of the Oireachtas. I do think there should be some flexibility in the system. Other people have been demanding that Superintendents must slavishly implement the law and were quite quick on occasion to go to court to make sure that they did.
    You may have some axe to grind with people taking Supers to court, but that's not germane to this discussion.

In fact it seems that you are jumping on this case as a supposed example of double standards in that where it suits the shooter, it's OK for the law to be bent but where it doesn't it's not. Am I correct in my supposition?
    In this case, the law is quite clear and the OP had broken it. It's quite a serious law too and he could have faced 1-7 years in jail. Now, I'm not claiming anything would have been served by prosecuting someone for this offence but either we want the law fully implemented (applications) or we want Superintendents to use discretion (prosecution).
    You have only the OP's word on this forum that any law was broken. The Superintendent may not have had such evidence and if he wished to pursue it, he was free to do so. He obviously decided to follow a different but equally valid route and grant a permit to the OP.
    One final point, the Superintendent has no power that I am aware of to issue an authorisation in this situation. Perhaps it was a non-residents FAC?
    He could have also issued a 2(4)(d) authorisation, but a 3(a) permit is quite sufficient for his purpose.

By the very same reasoning that you are using here, thousands of people every year are guilty of possession of a firearm without a certificate (myself included). Every July, I get my renewals and travel to my local station to get the new licence. As it is a rural station it's not manned all the time, so I drop my renewal in the letter box with the cheque.

Invariably it's some time in August or even as late as September befiore I get my new licences. Even when I track a path daily to the station, the new licences are never there until at least the first or second week of August in which case I'm in considerably more trouble than the OP.

So by your reckoning we should really just walk into the Gardai and hand ourselves over to be arrested and prosecuted :rolleyes:

If we want to be consistent of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hm. Can a 3(a) be given retrospectively?

Sparks wrote: »
    Hm. Can a 3(a) be given retrospectively?

It doesn't matter. The minute he's handed it over, he can't really arrest him for having an unlicensed firearm 'yesterday' without evidence of same.

But yes, he can date the permit for a week ago if he wanted. A lot of them I've seen are dated July to July regardless of when they were issued.

I had one once that was for 'the twelve months to July 31st xxxx' I actually only needed it for two months because it was just to cover me until the new licences were issued.

Sounds like all we need so is to find a friendly Super and we could finally run an ISSF international here (like the GB Jr International match) with "visitor's permits" via a 3(a) authorisation...

• Advertisement

Sounds like all we need so is to find a friendly Super and we could finally run an ISSF international here (like the GB Jr International match) with "visitor's permits" via a 3(a) authorisation...

Well you could also use a 2(4)(d) or (e) authorisation as well for air rifle and just get the numbers of all the competitors air rifles.

The only issue to watch for is the one the MPAI fell foul of last year where the authorisation was for one district and the airport was in another. :eek:

However, to my mind the three year licence is the best of both worlds. It's not hellish expensive and it gives hassle free access to competitions in this country for three years.

I can't agree with the idea that a visiting guest, who has already paid an entry fee and airline fees and is dumping money into our restaurants and hotels and so forth, shouldn't be able to get a free visitor's permit but should have to get a three-year licence, subject to all the fun of the fair that that entails. I mean, it'd be like asking all the Olympic shooters going to London in a few years to go through the process of getting an FAC, it'd be an embarressment.
    If you're coming in for (on average) two to three days, and we know where you're going, why you're going there, what firearms you have with you and what match you're shooting in (and a contact in the organisers), then what possible extra benefit is there to demand a 3-year licence from someone, bar the base one of dumping an extra 80-odd euro into the kitty?

Seems a bit like an overlooked use case to me. Which is a shame after ten years of crud dealing with new legislation :(

I can't agree with the idea that a visiting guest, who has already paid an entry fee and airline fees and is dumping money into our restaurants and hotels and so forth, shouldn't be able to get a free visitor's permit but should have to get a three-year licence, subject to all the fun of the fair that that entails. I mean, it'd be like asking all the Olympic shooters going to London in a few years to go through the process of getting an FAC, it'd be an embarressment.
    If you're coming in for (on average) two to three days, and we know where you're going, why you're going there, what firearms you have with you and what match you're shooting in (and a contact in the organisers), then what possible extra benefit is there to demand a 3-year licence from someone, bar the base one of dumping an extra 80-odd euro into the kitty?

Seems a bit like an overlooked use case to me. Which is a shame after ten years of crud dealing with new legislation :(

I'm not saying that the three year licence is the answer for everyone. I know it's a lot better for people in NI coming here for competitions and takes a lot of the headache out for a small enough outlay against the amount of uses it would get.

For the occasional visitor, I still think the EFP is the best bet, but obviously there's been problems with that in the past as well, so there needs to be some other control mechanism (even if only to protect our telecoms cables :)).

Something combining a permit or a 2(4)(d) or (e) with the EFP perhaps.

Sounds like sense to me.

Advertisement