Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU President Blair

Options
  • 16-07-2009 8:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

In probably the worst kept secret in the EU, Tony Blair is being promoted for President of the European Union. Todays UK independent has an article on it

He has recieved Gordon Browns endorsement. There is no official list of contenders for a new Euro-job which will only exist if the Lisbon treaty is fully approved and ratified by all EU countries.

But Mrs Kinnock, visiting the European Parliament in Strasbourg, made clear the UK Government would be pushing him as the man to run Europe for up to five years under new treaty arrangements.

What galls me is the arrogance of these people, assuming the position will exist.
    Presuming the Irish will do what their told to, and vote yes, is carts before horses.

This unelected post is still a new factor - and sorry, being selected is not being elected, I dont vote for county councillors to pick my TDs.

Mr. Blair has been endorsed by Gordon Brown, and was previously supported by Sarkozy. He is also very close to Berliosconi.

I for one do not like the idea of Mr. Blair acting in any capacity, titular or executive, as head of the EU.

This is a man who led his country to war on a lie, causing tens of thousands of deaths.
    A man who kept up a charade allowing Israel to pulverise the civillian population of the Gaza strip far longer than was planned, blocking ceasefire agreements and resolutions.
    A man who left the UKs labour party mired in sleaze, not least the halting of a corruption inquiry into the sale of fighter jets to a totalitarian regieme.

And on departure from No. 10 Downing Street, he set up a faith based initiative - too many messianic tendencies there for me to deal with.

One EU official said: "The difficulty is that no one has come up with a proper job description. People say the exact nature of the job will be shaped by whoever is appointed." [note - not 'elected' - so much for democracy]

Bear in mind a comment from another MP in the UK - William Hague (Con) the shadow Foreign Secretary, said the former prime minister should be let "nowhere near the job".
    He said: "The creation of a new EU President could be enormously damaging for Europe. Any holder is likely to try to centralise power for themselves in Brussels and dominate national foreign policies.
    In the hands of an operator as ambitious as Tony Blair, that is a near certainty."

FFS - vote No

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Vote No to Blair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

dresden8 wrote: »
    Vote No to Blair.

Unless we stop the Lisbon Treaty, we wont have that right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bokspring71

dresden8 wrote: »
    Vote No to Blair.

You won't have a vote. This is a political stitch up and us plebs are not allowed anything so common as a vote!

Can you imagine what someone of Tony Blairs political skill will make of the office if he is horse-traded into the job? The job will grow and grow in importance, influence and stature way beyond anything in the Lisbon treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

What galls me is the arrogance of these people, assuming the position will exist.

If we vote Yes, the time to start a campaign is now. If we vote No, the time to start a campaign is still now, unless you happen to know that we will vote No. It's called "hedging your bets".

regards,
    Scofflaw

If the treaty goes through, Blair will be the President.

As bokspring says Blairs political skill will make the job grow in importance, influence and stature way beyond anything in the Lisbon treaty.

Blair is a man who led his country to war on a lie, causing tens of thousands of deaths.
    A man delayed a ceasefire causing slaughter of the civilian population of the Gaza strip.

I believe that faith is a personal issue, but I get very nervous when leaders make life and death decisions based on their personal consultations with God.

Apparently Blair believed strongly at the time, that intervention in Kosovo, Sierra Leone – Iraq too – were all part of the Christian Battle

On departure from No. 10 Downing Street, Tony became a Catholic in 2007.
    He then decided - as always- the system was wrong and he had been sent to right it, and argued that it is time for a church he has just joined to "rethink" its views.

His new found religious fervour is expanding, he has set up the Tony Blair Faith Foundation!
    Just about every public utterance he makes is now about “faith”.
    The London Evening Standard reported that: “When Blair met Barack Obama at the annual National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, where the former PM was a principal speaker, Tony insisted that the President should kneel and pray with him before they talked.”
    In the speech, Blair made 31 references to God.
    In my opinion we are looking at a messianic complex.

A vote for Lisbon is an endorsement of a President Blair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

I see worse people shaping up to get that job. Blair is misguided but he is not the worse of that lot.

Your joking right!
    What other European leader blindly followed Bush into Iraq on a pack of lies?
    And that was not the worst aspect, check out the documentary Taking Liberties on Youtube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

If the EU president were to be democratically elected, he would not even bother applying for candidacy (the same with Bertie).

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Zuiderzee wrote: »

As bokspring says Blairs political skill will make the job grow in importance, influence and stature way beyond anything in the Lisbon treaty.

Blair is a man who led his country to war on a lie, causing tens of thousands of deaths.
    A man delayed a ceasefire causing slaughter of the civilian population of the Gaza strip.

I believe that faith is a personal issue, but I get very nervous when leaders make life and death decisions based on their personal consultations with God.

Apparently Blair believed strongly at the time, that intervention in Kosovo, Sierra Leone – Iraq too – were all part of the Christian Battle

On departure from No. 10 Downing Street, Tony became a Catholic in 2007.
    He then decided - as always- the system was wrong and he had been sent to right it, and argued that it is time for a church he has just joined to "rethink" its views.

His new found religious fervour is expanding, he has set up the Tony Blair Faith Foundation!
    Just about every public utterance he makes is now about “faith”.
    The London Evening Standard reported that: “When Blair met Barack Obama at the annual National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, where the former PM was a principal speaker, Tony insisted that the President should kneel and pray with him before they talked.”
    In the speech, Blair made 31 references to God.
    In my opinion we are looking at a messianic complex.

A vote for Lisbon is an endorsement of a President Blair

haha brilliant, thumps up. so you can't find anything bad in the treaty itself and so you just go on and make a claim of 'what could happen, but is not certain at all...but it could...'. Firstly blair has been good up to the point of trying to follow bush everywhere(btw prodi did the same, and the previous french president as well, the czech government did the same, so did slovakian, polish and i could go on...)
    While i am not supporting blair, but an eu president is elected(yes elected) by the heads of eu states with each having the power the veto. and lets be honest, if we are to work with presumptions, the vote on the president of the eu would be next year, when cameron is the PM in britain. do you really think he'll support blair?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

isnt this the glorified internal relations position we are talking about, the one with no executive powers, no voting power and its primary position is to facilitate communcation between the european council and parliament? Its foriegn influence is greatly hampered because it shares this role with the Commission President and the High Representative.

And on Blair getting the position, yes of course the UK are building him up, he's who labour are considering for the position. But like you said his past is questionable and considering the damage he did to EU/UK relations I doubt he'll get the german vote in the council at least.

Also Jean-Claude Juncker has just as much support as Blair for the position and his opinion on the role is that it should be as minimal as possible. Considering its QMV and there are 3 main candidates, Blair and Bertie are going after the same vote essentially, so Jean Claude might easily get through.

Also when will the first president be selected? If the talk of a UK general election proves true, even if its after the referendum then Blair could lose pretty much all the support he had.

I wouldnt want Blair to get the position purely because I rather he stayed unemployed or stick to the university circuit then take any other position in politics.

But as an issue to vote no to lisbon it is really scrapping the bottom of the barral.

though it would be entertaining to see the EU send back a garuntee that stated *Blair will have no political position in the EU*

• Advertisement

Ah no. There's nothing so definite about it at all. He's not the only possible candidate by several, and the UK is simply not a popular country in the EU.

Also, more generally, do I need to go dig up the list of the President's role under Lisbon?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Mario - would you be happy with your local county councillors selecting your TD or the President?
    I think if that is the case, then you and I have a different view on representitive democracy.
    As for other issues, I have raised them in other posts - dont be so selective.

Blitz, as bokspring says, and I believe, this role would be very influential - and would involve a very small amount of people in a decision making process.

Blair is the prime candidate because of his recognition factor in the EU and his popularity in the US - he could be promoted as the peace envoy from the middle east - and friend of America, to patch up the US/EU relationship.
    And as for the Germans - a deal will be cut to get Blair in - to be followed by Merkel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Blitz, as bokspring says, and I believe, this role would be very influential - and would involve a very small amount of people in a decision making process.

ughh no.

Its a glorified middle managment role, he has no voting power and no executive power, he doesnt make any decision making at all. His job is to be the face of the council internally and externally. Show me his powers if you so readily believe he has them.

And again Blair is only a candidate and Jean-Claude Juncker has just as much support as he does if not more.

EDIT

just because he already mentioned them

here is Scafflow's post on the president's powers http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60267349&postcount=5
    If the European Council, after consulting the European Parliament and the Commission, adopts by a simple majority a decision in favour of examining the proposed amendments, the President of the European Council shall convene a Convention composed of representatives of the national Parliaments, of the Heads of State or Government of the Member States, of the European Parliament and of the Commission.

A conference of representatives of the governments of the Member States shall be convened by the President of the Council for the purpose of determining by common accord the amendments to be made to the Treaties. The amendments shall enter into force after being ratified by all the Member States in accordance with their respective constitutional requirements.

The President of the Council and the Commission shall report to the European Parliament on the results of multilateral surveillance. The President of the Council may be invited to appear before the competent committee of the European Parliament if the Council has made its recommendations public.

Where a Member State is in difficulties or is seriously threatened with severe difficulties caused by natural disasters or exceptional occurrences beyond its control, the Council, on a proposal from the Commission, may grant, under certain conditions, Union financial assistance to the Member State concerned. The President of the Council shall inform the European Parliament of the decision taken.

As long as a Member State fails to comply with a decision taken in accordance with paragraph 9, the Council may decide to apply or, as the case may be, intensify one or more of the following measures.....The President of the Council shall inform the European Parliament of the decisions taken.

The Council shall, on a proposal from the Commission and after consulting the European Central Bank and the Committee referred to in this Article, lay down detailed provisions concerning the composition of the Economic and Financial Committee. The President of the Council shall inform the European Parliament of such a decision.

The Council may, acting by a qualified majority either on a recommendation from the European Central Bank or on a recommendation from the Commission, and after consulting the European Central Bank, in an endeavour to reach a consensus consistent with the objective of price stability, adopt, adjust or abandon the central rates of the euro within the exchange-rate system. The President of the Council shall inform the European Parliament of the adoption, adjustment or abandonment of the euro central rates.

Where the European Council decides by vote, its President and the President of the Commission shall not take part in the vote.

The Council shall meet when convened by its President on his own initiative or at the request of one of its Members or of the Commission.

A vacancy caused by resignation, compulsory retirement or death shall be filled for the remainder of the member’s term of office by a new member of the same nationality appointed by the Council, by common accord with the President of the Commission, after consulting the European Parliament and in accordance with the criteria set out in the second subparagraph of Article 9d(3) of the Treaty on European Union

The Council may, acting unanimously on a proposal from the President of the Commission, decide that such a vacancy need not be filled, in particular when the remainder of the member’s term of office is short.

The President of the Council and a member of the Commission may participate, without having the right to vote, in meetings of the Governing Council of the European Central Bank. The President of the Council may submit a motion for deliberation to the Governing Council of the European Central Bank.

If, within three months of receiving the European Parliament’s amendments, the Council, acting by a qualified majority: (a) approves all those amendments, the act in question shall be deemed to have been adopted; (b) does not approve all the amendments, the President of the Council, in agreement with the President of the European Parliament, shall within six weeks convene a meeting of the Conciliation Committee.

Legislative acts adopted under the ordinary legislative procedure shall be signed by the President of the European Parliament and by the President of the Council.

If, within forty-two days of such communication, the European Parliament: (a) approves the position of the Council, the budget shall be adopted; (b) has not taken a decision, the budget shall be deemed to have been adopted; (c) adopts amendments by a majority of its component members, the amended draft shall be forwarded to the Council and to the Commission. The President of the European Parliament, in agreement with the President of the Council, shall immediately convene a meeting of the Conciliation Committee. However, if within ten days of the draft being forwarded the Council informs the European Parliament that it has approved all its amendments, the Conciliation Committee shall not meet.

Regular meetings between the Presidents of the European Parliament, the Council and the Commission shall be convened, on the initiative of the Commission, under the budgetary procedures referred to in this Chapter. The Presidents shall take all the necessary steps to promote consultation and the reconciliation of the positions of the institutions over which they preside in order to facilitate the implementation of this Title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

As others are saying this is a non-executive role. It is a formalisation of a role that already exists and rests with whoever is the leader of the state with the rotating presidency.

In the current situation we have zero influence on who has this job. It was Tony Blair several times already and Bertie, and several others who you might not have liked either.

For the first time ever we will have some say. A EU-wide election is not practical for several reasons.

1/ It would be a Eurovision-style farce.
    2/ What could a candidate campaign on? This is a non-executive role. They cannot take any decisions, so they cannot make any promises, other than I will do a good job.

Also, I agree with the comments about Blairs likelihood of getting this job. It might happen but it's probably unlikely. Many of the other countries have serious issues with him. Ironically considering the apparent horror of several posters, Ireland probably would vote for him. It's the other states who will block it... Spain and others.

And I'll add that he's not really the ideal candidate. Bertie strangely would be far better. Affable, able to get along with others, good at diplomacy, not dogmatic, no strong personal goals. Willing to go along with whatever was the decision of the Council. He would have been far better suited to this than running Ireland, which he has left in a sorry state.

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Mario - would you be happy with your local county councillors selecting your TD or the President?

Are you unhappy that your TD's select your Taoiseach?

Not that the positions are that comparable, given that the position of Taoiseach is much more powerful than the position of President of the European Council.

Actually maybe Ceann Comhairle is a better comparison, are you unhappy that your TD's select the Ceann Comhairle, do you think it should be a directly elected position?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

If the EU president were to be democratically elected, he would not even bother applying for candidacy (the same with Bertie).

If the President of the Council was to be elected by popular vote, why would anyone but a German apply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

I believe Sarkozy offered to help him get it. The deal was-get the British people on board for the EU, and I will help you get the presidency.

Affable wrote: »
    I believe Sarkozy offered to help him get it. The deal was-get the British people on board for the EU, and I will help you get the presidency.

I don't think the French are so stupid as to think making Tony Blair president of the council will make the EU more popular in the UK. If anything it will make it less popular!

ix

ixtlan wrote: »
    I don't think the French are so stupid as to think making Tony Blair president of the council will make the EU more popular in the UK. If anything it will make it less popular!

ix

No, I mean Sarkozy wanted to get them on board before that to help further integration, as did Blair. The presidency would come later, that itself was not offered to bring UK voters around to the EU as you suggest. It was a private deal. I think CNN ran the story.

Actually maybe Ceann Comhairle is a better comparison, are you unhappy that your TD's select the Ceann Comhairle, do you think it should be a directly elected position?

Thanks! That is the best comparison I've heard so far. The Ceann Comhairle's role is to be completely impartial to all sides. How could such a candidate campaign? Any attempt to campaign and promise anything to one part of the public over another would immediately mark them as unsuitable. Indeed the Ceann Comhairle doesn't have to run for election in the next vote for exactly this reason. They leave their constituents behind, and hence cannot expect any vote.

Ix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

Anyone else thinking that the only way to stop Blair is a "No" to Lisbon?
    (considering us commoners probably won't have any other leverage)

Anyone else thinking "the ends justifies the means?"

No, I mean Sarkozy wanted to get them on board before that to help further integration, as did Blair. The presidency would come later, that itself was not offered to bring UK voters around to the EU as you suggest. It was a private deal. I think CNN ran the story.

OK, I've read some of these comments. Really the suggestion seems to be that Sarkozy simply likes Tony Blair and saw him (at that time... 2 years ago) as the right guy for the job. If you think someone agrees with you you are going to tend to suport them.

The thing to bear in mind is that divisive figures are going to find it very difficult to get elected by the Council. There are now 27 states. France and Germany cannot decide even if they agreed, which apparently on Blair they do not. I see even Jean-Claude Juncker has enemies.

Would it horrify people if the Council gave up trying to find the "best" candidate, threw it's hands up in the air and said... well at least no one hates him (outside Ireland anyhow)... and offered the job to Bertie.

Ix

'Ends justify means' in what context? Iraq, or the 'No' to Lisbon?

Undoubtedly some other people are, but it's possibly the saddest reason yet offered to vote No. The position is largely that of "EU spokesperson" - there are virtually no powers attached, and the idea that because Blair was able as Prime Minister of the UK to drag the UK into wars he will somehow be able to do the same to the EU from a ceremonial and temporary position is laughable. He won't be in charge of the EU - the EU will be in charge of him.

It's like asking people to vote No to the Irish Constitution because there's a possibility that Bono might be elected President of the Republic. Ridiculous.

regards,
    Scofflaw

ixtlan wrote: »
    OK, I've read some of these comments. Really the suggestion seems to be that Sarkozy simply likes Tony Blair and saw him (at that time... 2 years ago) as the right guy for the job. If you think someone agrees with you you are going to tend to suport them.

The thing to bear in mind is that divisive figures are going to find it very difficult to get elected by the Council. There are now 27 states. France and Germany cannot decide even if they agreed, which apparently on Blair they do not. I see even Jean-Claude Juncker has enemies.

Would it horrify people if the Council gave up trying to find the "best" candidate, threw it's hands up in the air and said... well at least no one hates him (outside Ireland anyhow)... and offered the job to Bertie.

Ix

But Bertie was just as on board for Iraq right? That's what causes the resentment in those who dislike Blair.

Usually when people start talking about ends and means it ends badly. Have you reviewed the presidency rotation here? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidency_of_the_Council_of_the_European_Union#2007_onwards_.28Trio_Presidencies.29

Decided whether you are happy with the leaders of these states? Of course there's no guarantee that they will be in power when they take over so really you don't know who will be the president of the Council if Lisbon fails, just as you don't know who will be president if Lisbon passes. You will however have more influence if Lisbon passes. You can petition your TDs, and start a national campaign.

I would humbly suggest that people should take a big picture view of Lisbon. I take your point that it concerns you but 1/ It may not happen 2/ A No vote will not be understood to be a no vote to Blair.

Ix

But Bertie was just as on board for Iraq right? That's what causes the resentment in those who dislike Blair.

Has Bertie ever been onboard for anything that he perceived as unpopular? He was walking the classic political tightrope, saying here he was against it while not standing in the way and probably telling Blair that he understood.

Which is why he could end up being the lowest common demoninator compromise candidate. I'll bet that in EU meetings he never expressed support for the war, and never expressed full opposition.

Other leaders may dislike him for being weak, but that could be an advantage in this role.

ix

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

No, I wasn't refering to Iraq,

and yes, it is a very sad situation that some people are taking this view

Edit:

Ixtlan : Yes, I agree in terms of the wider scope of the Lisbon Treaty, I was making a comment regarding the view that anti-blairs are taking

Many people are uninformed/misinformed regarding the treaty and I for one am still undecided as I need to learn more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Unless we stop the Lisbon Treaty, we wont have that right

Jesus H. Chrimminy, that's what I meant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Ah no. There's nothing so definite about it at all. He's not the only possible candidate by several, and the UK is simply not a popular country in the EU.

Also, more generally, do I need to go dig up the list of the President's role under Lisbon?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Agreed...the Uk is not much loved in the EU political stream but they are a very important and pivotal country...and with the unpopularity,also comes with respect.

Advertisement