Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Roach Fishing

• 16-07-2009 9:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭

Anywhere not too far from Dublin that's fishing well at the moment ? I'm bringing my son fishing at the weekend and just want to get a few roach or rudd, not looking for huge numbers or sizes, 10 - 15lb would be a good day if anybody has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

21/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭.Ger

You can try blessington, if you go to the garage on way into blessington town I think its a maxol well i think most shops sell them anyway you can buy a day permit for coarse for a fiver.

there is a place beside the boat club after you cross the bridge there is a green to the side of the boatramp and would be fine as i seen a few kids a couple of weeks ago pulling out some roach, perch when your getting your permit ask in the shop where the boat club is , dont forget to get bait before you go as no where in blessington sells bait you can get some in tallaght

www.tallaghtrodandgun.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Thanks Ger I think I'll try that

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 kpatrick

I do quite a bit of match fishing and i've noticed that a lot of places now have quality Roach. The best places i have found are slow moving rivers or canals especially between locks or below weirs. This year i've caught dozens over the half pound mark and even a 1 pounder from the Royal Canal. I still think the best place at the moment for large Roach might be the River Shannon or the River Inny. I've caught them to nearly 2lb there and have seen a few 2 pounders caught over the last few years. All in all it seems that Roach are doing very well in Ireland

Attached images were taken this weekend; both fish were around 3/4lb and also my personal best taken from the Shannon in April 2006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

uch wrote: »
    Anywhere not too far from Dublin that's fishing well at the moment ? I'm bringing my son fishing at the weekend and just want to get a few roach or rudd, not looking for huge numbers or sizes, 10 - 15lb would be a good day if anybody has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

First off if you're looking for 10-15lb of Roach then you are looking for large numbers so my suggestion would be to head to Monasterevin and call into the local tackle shop(Finlays) and he will direct you to where you need to go. It will be a canal so light waggler or pole fishing is the way to go. Size 18 hook and plenty of red maggots and groundbait to keep them interested.

Advertisement