Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*SPOILERS* HBP movie...What did you think?

Options
  • 16-07-2009 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

I LOVED it! :D

I think it's my favourite of all the movies so far. It was extremely dark and grown up, it was also the funniest so far, and the adaptation was quite good, taking into account the amount they have to fit in to such a short space of time.

For me, Tom Felton (Malfoy) stole the show. His acting stood out miles and I am glad that they followed his mission throughout the film, instead of revealing it all at the end, so as to give him more screen time. He looked brilliant, exactly how he is described in the book; pale, gaunt, skinny. It would have been nice to see even more of him in the film.

I've always had a problem with Emma Watson, however this is the film where she least annoyed me! I've always found her to be a huge over-actor, but she has toned it down a good bit and Hermione was a lot more likeable in this film.

Personally, I was a bit disappointed with the casting of Slughorn, and how his character came across. He's nothing like I imagined. In the film he seems a lot more nervous or something? Couldn't quite put my finger on it! I also imagined a much more robust and jolly looking man.

I know people are critical of Michael Gambon's Dumbledore but I love him and thought he was brilliant in this film. Dumbledore is a wise, hard old nut that has a soft side and that's how Gambon portrays him.

I'm not mad about the actress that plays Ginny, I think she's very stiff and there's no chemistry between her & Daniel Radcliffe! Anyone else think that?

Finally (sorry for long post!) I was a bit bewildered about the attack on the Burrow? I think they put it in because the film lacked many action scenes. Was disappointed they didn't have the battle at the end so I guess this scene was to make up for it a bit.

Sorry again for rambling on, what did everyone else think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I felt that the book is so much more dramatic and I felt the just skipped over everything. In the book when they are at the cave, I was frightened for them but I don't think they got that across in the film.
    I made sure not to read the HBP recently as I know the film can never be compared to the book but I never felt as disappointed with the other films. I dunno, Maybe its because it took such a long time to get released.
    It is definately funnier than previous films and I think Ron is brilliant in this. I think they just left out too much of the story. For instance, its important in Deathly Hallows for Harry to know where he put the Prince's book and in the film its Ginny who gets rid of it.
    I think maybe I was just expecting too much and the next time that I see it, it will be much more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 skittlesej

I thought between when we first meet Slughorn and when Dumbledore and Harry get to the cave was the best Harry Potter move yet! Really loved it!
    The end just didn't seem to work for me though...I think leaving out the battle at Hogwarts was a bad idea...I think it's a good scene to show how the DA and the Order fight together and how Harry is only as good as his friends who are helping him.
    I also think the Harry Ginny romance didn't really work out that well, although if there was any more romance the film would get a bit too romcom I guess.
    Of course we've missed out on a lot of the Voldemort back-story too, which is important for Harry when he's searching for the Horcruxes, also he never learned how to destroy one... But I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.

Of course everyone could go on for ages about how much of the book is left out, but in the end the movies just can't contain as much back-story and filler as we're used to from the books.

My brother put it well though when we left the cinema. He's never read the books so can watch them just as movies rather than focusing on what's missing from the story. He said that, as with all the other movies, the story has the potential to make an epic movie, but never quite reaches it. It stops just shy of a proper epic saga.

One thing my brother did point out was why did Draco even have to work to get the Death Eaters into Hogwarts when it was his job to kill Dumbledore and the Death Eaters didn't seem to have any job in there anyway. He thought that wasn't explained at all and made no sense to him...

All and all though, personally I think it's the best movie yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JessieJames

skittlesej wrote: »
    My brother put it well though when we left the cinema. He's never read the books so can watch them just as movies rather than focusing on what's missing from the story. He said that, as with all the other movies, the story has the potential to make an epic movie, but never quite reaches it. It stops just shy of a proper epic saga.

One thing my brother did point out was why did Draco even have to work to get the Death Eaters into Hogwarts when it was his job to kill Dumbledore and the Death Eaters didn't seem to have any job in there anyway. He thought that wasn't explained at all and made no sense to him...

agree totally with ya bro seemed very pointless without the fight at the end.. i really think they made this film far more funnier then darker which i wasn't really liking but maybe my expectations were built up too much waiting for the film... ah well twas still enjoyable :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 shrro1

SAW THE NEW HARRY POTTER MOVIE LAST NIGHT... AND WHAT A PILE OF CRAP. WARNER BROS. HAVE RIPPED APART THE STORY AND CUT THE BOOKS TO PIECES. MOVIE CRITICS STATED THAT THIS WAS THE BEST HP MOVIE TO DATE. WHAT A DISCRASE THAT THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH TRICKING PEOPLE INTO PAYING MONEY TO SEE THIS SUB STANDARD FILM. MANY OF THE MAIN CHARCTERS HAD NO MORE THAN A FEW LINES AND MANY OTHERS WERENT EVEN IN THE MOVIE. PEOPLE LEFT THE THEATRE IN TOTAL BOREDOM AFTER SITING THROUGH 2 HOURS OF POOR STORYTELLING. SOMEONE IN WARNER BRO SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THE MIS LEADING MEDIA REPORTS OF 'BEST MOVIE IN SERIES SO FAR'. ALSO THE FACT THAT IT WAS MADE SINCE MAY 2008 AND HELD BACK FOR SUMMER RELEASE (FOR MOREPEOLE TO BRINGS KIDS) FOR MONEY GRABBING IS WRONG...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

shrro1, while you may be frustrated, please refrain from typing in CAPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

My head hurts from try to read that shrro1.

Any way I loved how the humor of Ron, the twins and the teenage humiliation of first love. The entire cinema laughed out a lot.

Now as for being an exact adaption of the book, it was not. There was a lot to be desired like when Harry saw Dumbledore die, how hard would it for him to stupify him or even Snape to or to have any kinda of battle with the Aurors.

But I read the books for the detailed version of the story and watch the film for brain candy : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Just back from the film and thought it was weak to be honest. I felt that the part where Harry was making Dumbledore drink the liquid from the basin was to be an important and dramatic scene but it failed to live up to my expectations. I could go on but I would be picking a lot but I do understand on their time constraints and so on. Agreed with the original post, Tom Felton was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

On the whole, really liked it. Probably the second best movie after GOF.
    The scenes with Draco were great, leaving out the Dobby/Kreacher stuff there wasn't missed at all though. Still, some other stuff was badly missed.

Bill and Fleur!! Where are they? The Wedding is quite an important scene in DH, I doubt they can get away with cutting it. No lead up at all for this. They really sort of skimmed over Lupin and Tonks too, I barely recognised her.

Small point about Ginny - It never mentions that she breaks up with Dean, nor does it have Harry pushing past them in the portrait hole. Then she said that their kiss could be a secret. Makes it sound like she was cheating on him.

Lack of memories. How are they going to know about Hufflepuff's cup? The locket explanation was very unsatisfactory. Also, no foreshadowing of the diadem. I was surprised at this, since showing Ollivander's kidnapping really showed that they were thinking ahead.

As they missed so much stuff, the burrow siege scene could have been left out. Did it really accomplish anything? And it didn't make sense that Ron's mother didn't want them to go back to Hogwarts, that was quite out of character.

Snape!! They completely dropped the ball here. Showing his conversation with Dumbledore? Having him see Harry just before the murder? It was quite obvious that he wasn't acting on Voldy's orders.

That stupid Slughorn monologue about Lily Evan's fish annoyed me. When Harry said that thing about the fish bowl being empty forever lots of people in the cinema laughed.

I realised that if I hadn't read the books, I would absolutely hate these movies. They'd be so confusing.

So yeah, really liked it! I actually did, despite the complaints. These books can't be easy to adapt to screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I liked it, and I generally hate these movie adaptions.

It's possibly the hardest of the books to convert into an entertaining movie, what with all the memories and backstory and dialogue and all.

The ticks

I thought Slughorn was brilliant - before, I was disappointed with Lupin, and Mad-Eye, but Slughorn's portrayal really did it for me. Big tick.

Lavender made me laugh a lot.

I liked the flying Death Eaters and the general atmosphere of evil throughout the flick. The attack on the Burrow was extremely random, but I thought it really added to the film.

Snape's hair is looking amazing.

Dumbledore vs Inferi.... YES.

I never really saw all the fuss over Draco/Tom Felton before, but I kind of do now. Good performance.

Hermione showed some cleavage at the Christmas party.

The x's

Dumbledore gaying out. "You have a girlfriend, Harry?" "You've matured physically, Harry, haven't you?" etc

Snape's flight was a major letdown for me. It's probably my favourite part of the book, the sheer desperation and anger of betrayal on Harry's part, and Snape's frenzied defence. It's a really charged scene in the book, and I thought it would be great in the movie, but all it came down to was "Yes, Potter. I am the Half-Blood Prince." Gah :mad:

The lack of a battle scene at the end, obviously.

Ginny's teeth.

Luna Lovegood - terrible acting. Terrible. And she's such a great character.

Would've liked to see "The Other Minister", but it's understandable that it was cut. Always liked that chapter though, especially as an opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

A Neurotic wrote: »

Snape's hair is looking amazing.

:D:D:D:D:D

RandomUserName, I completely forgot about the Fleur & Tonks thing. When I think about it now, there are loads of stuff that is important in the last book that hasn't been lead into properly.

Also, it bothered me during the film that there was only one passing reference to Sirius dying only a few weeks previous. It was like he was completely forgotten about. Instead of having the awkward lines about Dumbledore asking Harry about his love life, surely someone could have been offering him some comfort about the death of his godfather? I was thinking this during the film, forgot to add it to my OP.

• Advertisement

Hi every1 and thanks for all the replies. Im actually quite a strong harry potter fan but just felt completely cheated by this film. Id actually love to chat to 1 of these so called critics that supposedly gave this the thumbs up as 1 of the best hp movies and ask them are they 4 real.( beginning to wonder where these critics are or are they real )as im wondering if all the praise 4 the movie is genuine or just made up by some 1 connected to the film makers to push the movie. It may very well be a top earner and break records but this is because people are curious and will go to see it. That does NOT make it a good movie.(just because of high movie revenue)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

if you havnt read the book - great movie.

if you have read the book ... well ...

It's a long time since i read the book but i was shocked that the battle scene with all the students in the book did not take place at all in the film ....

Faith wrote: »
    shrro1, while you may be frustrated, please refrain from typing in CAPS.
    HI FAITH....... REFRAIN FROM TYPING IN CAPS........ WHATS THAT ALL ABOUT?????? YOUR SAD AND OBVIOUSLY NEED SOME SORT OF PROFESSIONAL HELP...... BYE

LoLth: hmmm, looks like someone's up waaaay past their bed time and is getting cranky. time for a holiday. see you in a week.

ULstudent wrote: »
    if you havnt read the book - great movie.

if you have read the book ... well ...

It's a long time since i read the book but i was shocked that the battle scene with all the students in the book did not take place at all in the film ....
    Hav to agree with you there. I have read all the books and just thought they wrecked this one. others have also been shaved to pieces but this 1 was cut to ribbons. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Absolutely agree 100% I was lucky enough to go to the premiere on Monday and at the end I was only one sat there like eh what?? Missed major sections of the book such as Snape being the HBP, they only briefly mentioned it towards the end, and made far too much of the teen romances. Was very disappointed.
    Love2love wrote: »
    I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I felt that the book is so much more dramatic and I felt the just skipped over everything. In the book when they are at the cave, I was frightened for them but I don't think they got that across in the film.
    I made sure not to read the HBP recently as I know the film can never be compared to the book but I never felt as disappointed with the other films. I dunno, Maybe its because it took such a long time to get released.
    It is definately funnier than previous films and I think Ron is brilliant in this. I think they just left out too much of the story. For instance, its important in Deathly Hallows for Harry to know where he put the Prince's book and in the film its Ginny who gets rid of it.
    I think maybe I was just expecting too much and the next time that I see it, it will be much more enjoyable.

I LOVED it! :D

I think it's my favourite of all the movies so far. It was extremely dark and grown up, it was also the funniest so far, and the adaptation was quite good, taking into account the amount they have to fit in to such a short space of time.

For me, Tom Felton (Malfoy) stole the show. His acting stood out miles and I am glad that they followed his mission throughout the film, instead of revealing it all at the end, so as to give him more screen time. He looked brilliant, exactly how he is described in the book; pale, gaunt, skinny. It would have been nice to see even more of him in the film.

I've always had a problem with Emma Watson, however this is the film where she least annoyed me! I've always found her to be a huge over-actor, but she has toned it down a good bit and Hermione was a lot more likeable in this film.

Personally, I was a bit disappointed with the casting of Slughorn, and how his character came across. He's nothing like I imagined. In the film he seems a lot more nervous or something? Couldn't quite put my finger on it! I also imagined a much more robust and jolly looking man.

I know people are critical of Michael Gambon's Dumbledore but I love him and thought he was brilliant in this film. Dumbledore is a wise, hard old nut that has a soft side and that's how Gambon portrays him.

I'm not mad about the actress that plays Ginny, I think she's very stiff and there's no chemistry between her & Daniel Radcliffe! Anyone else think that?

Finally (sorry for long post!) I was a bit bewildered about the attack on the Burrow? I think they put it in because the film lacked many action scenes. Was disappointed they didn't have the battle at the end so I guess this scene was to make up for it a bit.

Sorry again for rambling on, what did everyone else think?
    speaking of Malfroy.... he was hardly in the movie and had no more than 20 lines at most.Also where was his henchmen (Crabbe and Goyle) they had no part at all other than standing in the background in 1 class. They were certinely in the Half Blood Book and previous movies a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

shrro1 wrote: »
    speaking of Malfroy.... he was hardly in the movie and had no more than 20 lines at most.Also where was his henchmen (Crabbe and Goyle) they had no part at all other than standing in the background in 1 class. They were certinely in the Half Blood Book and previous movies a lot more.

i think they cut a lot of the crabbe/goyle scenes cause one of them got caught on drugs charges recently enough....the guy who plays crabbe.hes in court right now and its not looking good for him!

Huggles wrote: »
    Absolutely agree 100% I was lucky enough to go to the premiere on Monday and at the end I was only one sat there like eh what?? Missed major sections of the book such as Snape being the HBP, they only briefly mentioned it towards the end, and made far too much of the teen romances. Was very disappointed.
    have to agree.... but do you ever wonder where al these invisable critics are...? all over tv and newspapers we are been told critics say its the best HP movie yet.... Id love 2 meet these people and ask them are they for real but suspect the critics (if they exist) couldnt really get the story..

i think they cut a lot of the crabbe/goyle scenes cause one of them got caught on drugs charges recently enough....the guy who plays crabbe.hes in court right now and its not looking good for him!
    actually the guy caught with the drugs was only caught with them a copule of weeks back but the movie was finished in MAY 2008 (so him been caught with drugs wouldnt have affected it. The movie was only held back till july 2009 for GREED by Warner Bros. They stated if they held it back it would make more money as a summer blockbuster so the movie we all waited to see is almost 1 and a half years old already...

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

SAW THE NEW HARRY POTTER MOVIE LAST NIGHT... AND WHAT A PILE OF CRAP. WARNER BROS. HAVE RIPPED APART THE STORY AND CUT THE BOOKS TO PIECES. MOVIE CRITICS STATED THAT THIS WAS THE BEST HP MOVIE TO DATE. WHAT A DISCRASE THAT THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH TRICKING PEOPLE INTO PAYING MONEY TO SEE THIS SUB STANDARD FILM. MANY OF THE MAIN CHARCTERS HAD NO MORE THAN A FEW LINES AND MANY OTHERS WERENT EVEN IN THE MOVIE. PEOPLE LEFT THE THEATRE IN TOTAL BOREDOM AFTER SITING THROUGH 2 HOURS OF POOR STORYTELLING. SOMEONE IN WARNER BRO SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THE MIS LEADING MEDIA REPORTS OF 'BEST MOVIE IN SERIES SO FAR'. ALSO THE FACT THAT IT WAS MADE SINCE MAY 2008 AND HELD BACK FOR SUMMER RELEASE (FOR MOREPEOLE TO BRINGS KIDS) FOR MONEY GRABBING IS WRONG...
    #

I’m huge HP fan too and I loved the movie( get slag about everyday at work) It's a movie not a book they are two separate things( like cars an Motorbikes both are motor vehicles but completly differed) . If they put every thing in book in the film it be about 5 hours long. They had to cut things out that were not important to the main story. The reason cut they battle of Hogwarts( which will about 30 mins long in DH) was not to repeat themselves, . All the crucial scenes, for some who never read the books are in the movie, it bit like a computer all people care is that they can surf the web do what ever, if want they more information on what they can do they can read up on them , same with the movie if some who never read books like the movie, but was bit lost in some places they might just go and read books. That’s what I did.

Anyway in the end there is only one person option who matters is J K Rowling her self and from what I hear she thinks it the best so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Bill and Fleur!! Where are they? The Wedding is quite an important scene in DH, I doubt they can get away with cutting it. No lead up at all for this. They really sort of skimmed over Lupin and Tonks too, I barely recognised her.

The wedding it's in DH, and tonks did call Lupin sweetheart

Small point about Ginny - It never mentions that she breaks up with Dean, nor does it have Harry pushing past them in the portrait hole. Then she said that their kiss could be a secret. Makes it sound like she was cheating on him.

Hermione say they always fighting, we don't have see them break up wouldn't you break up with someone if they fought with you all the time .
    Lack of memories. How are they going to know about Hufflepuff's cup? The locket explanation was very unsatisfactory. Also, no foreshadowing of the diadem. I was surprised at this, since showing Ollivander's kidnapping really showed that they were thinking ahead.

True, but probably get Hermione to figure it out or some one else.I say they will make Ginny bigger the film that's why she hid the book not Harry.
    As they missed so much stuff, the burrow siege scene could have been left out. Did it really accomplish anything? And it didn't make sense that Ron's mother didn't want them to go back to Hogwarts, that was quite out of character.
    The burrow scene was to show that no where were Harry fells safe is i safe anymore . In book the it hogwarts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 footloose jen

got to go and see the half blood prince last night and it was great i was amazed at one point near the end of the film everything was quiet and i could hear a lot of people sniffeling and i dont mean only the children that were there!!! there was alot of tears aswell ,very moving!!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I've just seen it. It was a good attempt but it was nothing compared to the actual books.

Also, Dumbledore is portrayed awfully - he is nothing like I imagined him when I read the books. The Richard Harris Dumbledore in HP1 and HP2 was much closer to what I imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Already a thread on this.
    got to go and see the half blood prince last night and it was great i was amazed at one point near the end of the film everything was quiet and i could hear a lot of people sniffeling and i dont mean only the children that were there!!! there was alot of tears aswell ,very moving!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 footloose jen

yeah the book was much better as always, but still cant wait for the next one !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've just seen it. It was a good attempt but it was nothing compared to the actual books.

Also, Dumbledore is portrayed awfully - he is nothing like I imagined him when I read the books. The Richard Harris Dumbledore in HP1 and HP2 was much closer to what I imagined.
    Not surprising. Figure in the years gap: Goblet of Fire was out as early as 2000. Chamber of Secrets in 2002. Azkaban film in 2004 and HBP book in 2005. Anybody who would have read the first 4 books easily had the image of HP1/2 Dumbledore in their head.

people give this dumbledore an unfair rap tbh. he was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I supposed ultimately this never met my book expectations for important scenes. But ah well. It was entertaining. I think what I liked most was the stuff that I have to assume (its been too long) wasn't in the books at all.

"Skin" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Michael Gambon is ok as Dumbledore but I think Richard Harris was much closer to the Dumbledore we know from the books. He was also more likable than Gambon's character. Decent new movie, but I'd guess it's probably a bit boring for people who aren't big fans or who hadn't already read the book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

HI FAITH....... REFRAIN FROM TYPING IN CAPS........ WHATS THAT ALL ABOUT?????? YOUR SAD AND OBVIOUSLY NEED SOME SORT OF PROFESSIONAL HELP...... BYE

Faith is one of the moderators, have some respect.

Advertisement