Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Card Question

Options
  • 16-07-2009 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Is there a minimum transaction on a laser card. Ie . if I was in a shop and I had no cash could I say...pay for a newspaper for EUR 2 ??

I'm told that LUAS machines wont accept laser below a certain amount...don't know how true it is.:confused:

Any replies would be much appreciated

-D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

from the FAQ page of www.lasercard.ie

Q: Is there a minimum Laser transaction amount for Laser transactions?

A: No, there is no minimum transaction value.

source: http://www.lasercard.ie/faq.asp?id=83#q50

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Is there a minimum transaction on a laser card. Ie . if I was in a shop and I had no cash could I say...pay for a newspaper for EUR 2 ??

I'm told that LUAS machines wont accept laser below a certain amount...don't know how true it is.:confused:

Any replies would be much appreciated

-D

It's up to the retailer, some shops have a min spend of €10 or even higher.

Remember they are changed a fee per transaction processed (~20€) so if you were buying something for less than the fee, it would be cheaper for the store to give you the item free..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Minimum transaction value will vary by shop as Laser charge a fixed fee, not a percentage - in some shops this could completely eliminate the gross margin on low value transactions, so its quite reasonable for them to have a minimum value

At 20c per transaction, this is 20% on €1, 2% on €10. Some shops might have a gross margin of 10% on normal cash transactions. Credit Card transactions would typically occur a commission rate of around 3%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

homer911 wrote: »
    At 20c per transaction, this is 20% on €1, 2% on €10. Some shops might have a gross margin of 10% on normal cash transactions. Credit Card transactions would typically occur a commission rate of around 3%.

My god! 10%. why oh why is laser being pushed so hard here in Ireland then. Why don't they embrace Visa Debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

100gSoma wrote: »
    My god! 10%. why oh why is laser being pushed so hard here in Ireland then. Why don't they embrace Visa Debit.

But the retailer would have a simular charge for any debit card...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I decline laser and credit cards for transaction below a tenner.

It is quite common now.

Another thing that will come in sooner or later is declining cashback on laser. A little while ago, AIB attempted to claim that giving a customer cashback was actually another transaction and they tried to double the fee to the retailer.

There was an outcry and they dropped it but I do notice on my fees statement, there is a space for cashback fees.

Not if, but when it comes in, unless its worth my while, I will not be offering this at my expense !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I decline laser and credit cards for transaction below a tenner.

It is quite common now.

Another thing that will come in sooner or later is declining cashback on laser. A little while ago, AIB attempted to claim that giving a customer cashback was actually another transaction and they tried to double the fee to the retailer.

There was an outcry and they dropped it but I do notice on my fees statement, there is a space for cashback fees.

Not if, but when it comes in, unless its worth my while, I will not be offering this at my expense !!!

Why are the banks obsessed with screwing everyone ? Why is the Laser card (still) treated like a disabled , one legged red headed step child that isn't toilet trained ? It's very annoying.

I don't know many places that do offer cashback because they never offer and I usually don't ask. My local shop (a supervalue) offers cashback each time.

Advertisement