Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Bord Snip Nua

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

There seems to be a lot of antagonism between the public and private sectors, which is unfortunate imo. We hear statements along the lines of "we didn't cause the problems so why should we take the hit?"

Remarks such as these demonstrate a misunderstanding of the relationship between the State and its servants.

The reason the PS has to take a hit, is because we, the State, are no longer in a financial position to afford the services of the public sector and must therefore do without.

It is the same as if I lose my job, I can no longer afford to eat out at restaurants to the same extent. The restaurant did not cause my job loss, but nevertheless I can no longer give them my custom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

pearcider wrote: »
    Arrgh I hate the dissecting method of debate. Anyways...

My point is taxation is a key part of the solution and it is much more important the country gets this right as opposed to the cuts right. Our tax base has been destroyed in one year because our system was inherently vulnerable to a recession. This does not happen in stable developed countries. The low corporation tax was helpful in attracting investment but not to the extent you pretend. Let's be honest, the Celtic Tiger happened to Ireland for many, many reasons. We need to shift our stream to income tax and wealth tax, the rates of which are still too low (even after the levies) - and which are vastly more resilient in a recession than the indirect consumption taxes.
    Never said it was a good thing...don't think i don't see the deductions in my payslip as well as you! ;) It is unfortunately a wholly necessary thing, if we're to get our gaff in order. Obviously, if we'd has cooler heads at the turn of the millennium, this pain would be completely unnecessary. But the voices of reason were drowned out in the credit mania that was generally ubiquitous in the anglicized countries at the time led by the high priests of consumption, the arrogant and infallible dismal scientists, the Economists! Guess what, you got it wrong, you led the whole world to the precipice in pursuit of the new paradigm. We need a more stable system - more tax and regulation, not less. And it's going to happen. The rich have shown time and time again that they cannot be trusted to use their wealth wisely.

Are going to "rightly" leave the country? ...jeez the blood boils. :mad: Not going to debate with you regarding the tax exiles - but for the record, I think it's a ****ing scandal in the same league (morally at least)of Ansbacher et al. And if you think we and Poland are playing in the same league - you're wrong. Let them take the low value manufacturing jobs. It's an inevitable and not entirely unwelcome side effect of becoming weealthy. As long as we keep the tech and the pharma, we'll be alright. We must play continue to play to our strenghts - which have not changed - our young, dynamic and professional english speaking workforce, our excellent reputation abroad, our huge global footprint, and our (so far) stable society. Cutbacks threaten these advantages far more than a few measely percent to the taxman. I would reempahsise, we should bring our tax levels to the level of our peers - namely the small progresive european nations. Which brings me to another point; who exactly should Ireland be modeling themselves on, in your opinion?

Regarding your comment on child benefit, social welfare. Some cuts in line with deflation are logical but no more! To actually cut welfare to 1990 level is not only ludicrous and dangerous, it's also deeply immoral. Any cut in welfare at all is sickening when you consider the welfare is being cut to bailout the Quinns, Fitzpatricks and the other ex-millionaires of this wee banana republic of ours. :rolleyes:

Higher taxes didn't cause the recession but you can be damn sure higher taxes will fix it. One bailout at a time, eh? ;) And your smart kids comment is smoke and mirrors...where else will these smart kids go? The UK have already upped their tax on the rich and the States won't be far behind. Those astronomical National debts (well played banking dudes!) will have to be tackled as a matter of urgency once the world economy recovers. So where will the smart kids go? Think about it. If you want to live in the most developed countries in the world which most "smart kids" do, you should ****ing cough up for it. You don't fancy paying your tax? Well then **** off to your tiny island/tin pot dictatorship/whatever and leave the rest of society to work in peace. And we'll take your passport when you're on the way out - cheers. :pac:

No it won't. Personal tax rate increases won't affect our competitiveness. But it may keep the country in the game for a bit longer.

We clearly have completely different worldviews so I see little point in continuing the debate in this respect.

Did you ever critically read one?? Economics isn't physics, it's more psychology than science depending on infinitely many variables and hazy concepts like confidence and mood - it's not some set in stone dogma and everything has a counter argument.All I'm arguing for is a little balance and a little sense. And I've yet to see an economic prediction that ever turned out right. You couldn't get an economist to agree on anything except their bonus. All you get is well past performance, hedge, hedge, hedge while continually pushing the (for lack of a better phrase) US corporate agenda in the most obvious fashion. They certainly haven't covered themselves in glory by essentially destroying the world economy in a few years.

Nonsense, it's about striking a balance. Profits are taxed at 12.5% on businesses here - one of the lowest rates in the OECD. How much more incentive do you need? In reality the wealthy invest abroad, gamble on the stock markets or stash it in tax havens. What serious investor is the least bit interested in the tiny Irish domestic market - which suggested income tax raises will mainly affect. Ireland has the same imperative as we've always had. We must export or die. The tax rate increases are required to repair the damage done to the public finances by the credit and property bubble - made infinitely worse by our inadequate tax regime. What part of this don't you get??

Ridiculous post. If you honestly believe that... :eek:
    Actually, it's my field of expertise. ;)

Yes...bring back the 80's I say. :cool:

a post nearly half a page long all about increasing tax and not a line about cutting spending

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Calm down, folks.
    The only funny thing about this is how you're getting all worked up over nothing.
    If you were listening to the news over the last few days you would think that the reason this country is finished is because of the over bloated public service; of course it's over bloated but it's irrelevant now.
    And of course it should be as streamlined as possible; that's just common sense. it doesn't matter, however.
    Board snip nua can cut all it wants, it doesn't matter.
    Let's be sensible about this. The country and banks, are relying on people to make payments on their mortgages.
    Which of course they cannot do.
    It was clear at least 7 years ago that Ireland was heading towards an unsustainable bubble.
    The banks about to collapse: they have incredible debts that no one is able to pay.
    Anglo should have been let fail; and the exisisting banks should have been temporarily nationalised.
    It was our only hope; they did'nt do it.
    They country is finished.
    just a fact.

All jobs were based on it and, of course, all jobs collapsed when it eventually ran it's course.
    After the mindblowingly incredible mismanagement of the country, on every level, these idiots were left with one chance to save.
    For some reason, they wouldn't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I'm drunk. so my last post probably didn't make much sense.
    I'll keep it simple.
    It's frightening that pretty much everyone in this country keeps referring to the waste of the good times.
    There were no good times; there was no wealth created: all we did in the last ten years was build up debt we cannot pay; individually and collectively.
    The government should have spent the money it had more wisely; but it's irrelevant.
    It should never have had that money; it was a product of the unsustainable property bubble.
    Idiots voted for these people; we get what we deserve.
    Good luck, everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

ascanbe wrote: »
    I'm drunk. so my last post probably didn't make much sense.
    I'll keep it simple.
    It's frightening that pretty much everyone in this country keeps referring to the waste of the good times.
    There were no good times; there was no wealth created: all we did in the last ten years was build up debt we cannot pay; individually and collectively.
    The government should have spent the money it had more wisely; but it's irrelevant.
    It should never have had that money; it was a product of the unsustainable property bubble.
    Idiots voted for these people; we get what we deserve.
    Good luck, everyone.
    Not totally true. A lot of main roads were built during the boom, so some structures were laid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Our tax base has been destroyed in one year because our system was inherently vulnerable to a recession. This does not happen in stable developed countries

Out tax base was stamp duty off of properties, which was completely unstable. The stamp duty should have been preferably used to pay off public debt, or instead spent solely on capital projects. Instead it was used to increase day-to-day spending. Now that stamp duty is gone, the day to day spending it warranted must also go.
    The low corporation tax was helpful in attracting investment but not to the extent you pretend. Let's be honest, the Celtic Tiger happened to Ireland for many, many reasons.

Such as? Not that I'm denying that, I mean the availability of college graduates was a big one, I just maintain you don't give the low tax rate enough credence because it doesn't suit you position.
    We need to shift our stream to income tax and wealth tax, the rates of which are still too low (even after the levies) - and which are vastly more resilient in a recession than the indirect consumption taxes.

You don't really see the overall picture. The problem isn't the tax - its the spending. The spending wasn't necessary, it was only placed there because the was so much tax lying about. The spending was increased at disastrous rates, and the solution is to reduce that spending.
    Obviously, if we'd has cooler heads at the turn of the millennium, this pain would be completely unnecessary.

By "cooler heads," I interpret a government who would have been a bit more responsible with the money it had. It engaged in irresponsible spending, and now that the tax base it came from is gone you want to engage in irresponsible taxing to sustain it.
    The rich have shown time and time again that they cannot be trusted to use their wealth wisely.

Please enlightening me as to what you exactly mean by this.

Talking in terms of the private sector rich: who are you do dictate how they spend their wealth? They worked for it hard, took on huge amounts of risk, and now that they've made their money they can spend it on whatever they want. Its interesting how the "knee jerk" reaction of many when it comes to politics is to use the power of the government to do what they think is right, which usually means taking money of the rich they've more than a slight grudge for. People dont tend to look kindly upon hard work and success.
    And if you think we and Poland are playing in the same league - you're wrong. Let them take the low value manufacturing jobs.

Yes, we've done that. And now we have 400,000 unemployed. Jees, your great theory didn't really work out there now did it?
    We must play continue to play to our strenghts

Out strengths have gotten wiped out by the Unions and the irresponsible government, who insisted on raising wages and making Ireland completely uncompetitive on the world stage. Now that Poland's in the EU, whats to stop all the high tech businesses moving there once the education levels rise? Nothing!
    Cutbacks threaten these advantages far more than a few measely percent to the taxman. I would reempahsise, we should bring our tax levels to the level of our peers - namely the small progresive european nations. Which brings me to another point; who exactly should Ireland be modeling themselves on, in your opinion?

So your going to give away another strength: our low tax?

I don't believe we should have to model ourselves on anyone. The tragedy about Ireland is that we had the opportunity, as a small country, in the last 15 years, to really take advantage. If we had a government who was fiscally responsible and didn't lick the Unions, we could have created an even lower tax economy with all the companies literally lining up to come in. No. We had to raise minimum wage. We had to disproportionately raise social welfare. FF couldn't help buying votes, and people couldn't help taking the bribe. They were purchased.
    Regarding your comment on child benefit, social welfare. Some cuts in line with deflation are logical but no more! To actually cut welfare to 1990 level is not only ludicrous and dangerous, it's also deeply immoral.

I never suggested we cut it to 1990 levels. I suggested we bring it to 1990 levels and then adjust for the inflation between then and now. As I said, if x was enough in 1990 why is x+inflation not good enough in 2009? But it seems evident that you have been purchased by Fianna Fail like most people. And as regards morals: who is the state to be the moral adjudicator of the people? If you really think so much welfare needs to be paid, instead of forcing me to pay with you, why don't you donate to charity?
    Any cut in welfare at all is sickening when you consider the welfare is being cut to bailout the Quinns, Fitzpatricks and the other ex-millionaires of this wee banana republic of ours.

What you do there now is tie social welfare cuts in with some bailout, which you know is complete bull. I don't suggest cutting welfare for any reason other than the level of welfare in this country is wrong. If people feel that we need more welfare, donate to charity please. But don't force me to come along with you.

Once again, why did social welfare have to raise it quicker that inflation? And if you think that was justified, why cant we cut it quicker than deflation? Kindly answer this.
    Higher taxes didn't cause the recession but you can be damn sure higher taxes will fix it.

Of course higher taxes didn't cause the recession, they weren't around. However they will exacerbate it by reducing demand for products, getting everyone to cling on to what little they get thereby reducing jobs, and making being an entrepreneur less worthwhile.
    Those astronomical National debts (well played banking dudes!) will have to be tackled as a matter of urgency once the world economy recovers.

We had debts that increased during the boom, so its a bit to late for the now don't you think?
    If you want to live in the most developed countries in the world which most "smart kids" do, you should ****ing cough up for it.

Why is that? Why should I have to pay such high tax?
    No it won't. Personal tax rate increases won't affect our competitiveness. But it may keep the country in the game for a bit longer.

You are just so wrong. You do realize that when foreign companies come here they have to check out income tax rates, otherwise the people they hire from abroad simply wont come here as it wont be worth their while financially?

Also small business don't pay corporation tax. Your going to give them another kick in the balls? Everyone knows they're the ones suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

It may seem like jaded rhetoric, but you cannot tax your way out of a recession. Firstly you cannot alienate the rich, the business class would be inhibited greatly by increased taxes. The business class provide employment. Less employment, more people on the dole and back to square one! Its very basic economics! I for one would like to see a lower "high" tax rate recommended in the September report, l'espoir fait vivre...!

The only sector of the population that emerged relatively unscathed from both the December Budget and the April supplementary budget was the people on social welfare. This report dealt with welfare cuts quite fairly.

I'm no Fianna Fail supporter by any means, but it is unfair to suggest that this report "preys on the most vulnerable people in society" "moral outrage" etc etc! I read both volumes of An Bord Snip Nua's report (I don't have a job this summer, plenty of time on my hands :() and apart from a few aspects of it, I found it to be quite reasonable! Review of Fás, abolition of many pointless departments, the ending of certain "double" welfare payments, standard rate of €136 per child per month child benefit, can anyone really complain about this?

The only problem now is that we must wait the guts of two months before the Dail resumes and the government backs down on every single cut that has been suggested by an Bord Snip, and before the union protest marches recommence...!

nicola09 wrote: »
    It may seem like jaded rhetoric, but you cannot tax your way out of a recession. Firstly you cannot alienate the rich, the business class would be inhibited greatly by increased taxes. The business class provide employment. Less employment, more people on the dole and back to square one! Its very basic economics! I for one would like to see a lower "high" tax rate recommended in the September report, l'espoir fait vivre...!

The only sector of the population that emerged relatively unscathed from both the December Budget and the April supplementary budget was the people on social welfare. This report dealt with welfare cuts quite fairly.

I'm no Fianna Fail supporter by any means, but it is unfair to suggest that this report "preys on the most vulnerable people in society" "moral outrage" etc etc! I read both volumes of An Bord Snip Nua's report (I don't have a job this summer, plenty of time on my hands :() and apart from a few aspects of it, I found it to be quite reasonable! Review of Fás, abolition of many pointless departments, the ending of certain "double" welfare payments, standard rate of €136 per child per month child benefit, can anyone really complain about this?

The only problem now is that we must wait the guts of two months before the Dail resumes and the government backs down on every single cut that has been suggested by an Bord Snip, and before the union protest marches recommence...!
    Already the farmers are out protesting. will be the first of many. Now coming to the point where what govt promised to all these various groups they wont be able to deliver. put simply the money isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Out tax base was stamp duty off of properties, which was completely unstable. The stamp duty should have been preferably used to pay off public debt, or instead spent solely on capital projects. Instead it was used to increase day-to-day spending. Now that stamp duty is gone, the day to day spending it warranted must also go.
    Even if all the Bord Snip Nua Cuts are implemented, which they won't be, it's not nearly enough to get us out of the hole. Tax is going up - end of story. See the Commission on Taxations report later on in the year. Basically, there is a lot more scope for tax increases. But you can bet your life that the ruling class howling for social cuts now will be against the corresponding tax rises when the Commissions report is published. And the only reason for that is that they're a bunch of spoilt cnuts.
    Such as? Not that I'm denying that, I mean the availability of college graduates was a big one, I just maintain you don't give the low tax rate enough credence because it doesn't suit you position.
    Whatever. When you have companies moving their official operations here (but, purely for the tax rate, no investment or jobs included) you know the CT rate is important. But as tax rises in the States and the UK, we should raise ours too. The rich must pay for their folly.
    You don't really see the overall picture. The problem isn't the tax - its the spending. The spending wasn't necessary, it was only placed there because the was so much tax lying about. The spending was increased at disastrous rates, and the solution is to reduce that spending.
    I'll say it again - we must strike a balance. If you make the full 5B cuts you're still 15B short in a tax year. Then what? Cut spending again in 2010/2011 as the economy deflates further, crime rises & confidence crashes? Then you'll hear the same kleptocrats saying we must sell our national assets. Sell ESB and Bord Gais to their venture capital buddies(at bargain basement prices because we're in a an asset crash/depression) and that will give us another 5 billion! And all the while the elephant in the room is ignored? Among the lowest tax burdens in the developed world? It's just not equitable when you consider that Ireland is not Switzerland or Austria. We need investment in public services. You say blah blah blah, once the Stamp Duty runs out, you should forget about public services, we can't afford them. The reality is our European peers had excellent public services long before we got rich so continued investment is required. Our public services are still no where near European standards.
    By "cooler heads," I interpret a government who would have been a bit more responsible with the money it had. It engaged in irresponsible spending, and now that the tax base it came from is gone you want to engage in irresponsible taxing to sustain it.
    How is it irresponsible? I simple want to model our system on our peers not on a dodgy African state or special case countries like Switzerland for the benefit of the crony capitalists (who benefit from tax cuts). You pretend like tax cuts = good tax increases = bad. The reality is a lot more complex. Look at the Bush tax cuts in the US? Hardly a success were they and the country is in such debt now (after bailing out Corporate America.) that taxes must be increased significantly because they were cut in the good times - completely against rational thinking and only to satisfy the kleptocracy. It's completely crazy.
    Please enlightening me as to what you exactly mean by this.
    The rich were given tax cuts in the good times by Muppet McCreevy (and Bush for that matter)..and now you're suggesting not touching tax in the bad times - despite the national resources going to bail out...the rich? Yeah, that's fair. :rolleyes:
    Yes, we've done that. And now we have 400,000 unemployed. Jees, your great theory didn't really work out there now did it?
    This isn't even a serious rebuttal to my point that Poland and us are playing different ball games. Poland are sitting between Russia and Germany. Obviously they have completely different priorities and imperatives to us. They are low cost compared to us but also they don't have our geographical position or our relationship with the US and Britain. Also even with our significant job losses (basically caused by the FF policies of housing boom and bust) we both have roughly the same unemployment as of this moment. They also have almost 3 times our poverty rate. Not a country I personally want to model us on.
    Out strengths have gotten wiped out by the Unions and the irresponsible government, who insisted on raising wages and making Ireland completely uncompetitive on the world stage. Now that Poland's in the EU, whats to stop all the high tech businesses moving there once the education levels rise? Nothing!
    You're clueless. Ireland high wages are only a part of our uncompetitiveness - of course a 15 year boom is going to make us uncompetitive in comparison to a third world country that was in a slump all that time. We're really really rich in comparison to Poland. What Poland don't have - they don't speak English, they don't have our versatile, Anglo friendly business environment (including our IP laws and our generally excellent regulatory system, we're one of the easiest countries to set up a business in the world) In fact they attract barely any of the high level FDI we're in the game for. If you were referencing Denmark or Singapore I might feel this is worth debating but...
    So your going to give away another strength: our low tax?
    It should certainly be looked at - which it will be by the Commsion on Taxation. What was right for Ireland in the early 90's is not right now.
    I don't believe we should have to model ourselves on anyone. The tragedy about Ireland is that we had the opportunity, as a small country, in the last 15 years, to really take advantage. If we had a government who was fiscally responsible and didn't lick the Unions, we could have created an even lower tax economy with all the companies literally lining up to come in. No. We had to raise minimum wage. We had to disproportionately raise social welfare. FF couldn't help buying votes, and people couldn't help taking the bribe. They were purchased.
    I more or less agree with you that the boom was tragically squandered. Of course you put the blame on stuff like a high minimum wage as if mim wage jobs are actually significant to a country like Ireland. You're just like an automaton for the kleptocracy - completely brainwashed, incapable of critical thinking. The ruling class squandered the boom in this country by investing the money given to them in tax cuts by the FF administration in our tiny, domestic property market - and let nobody forget it. How you can attribute a greater economic weight to the lads working in Spar as opposed to the so called Golden circles is not only laughable...It's actually really stupid. :rolleyes:
    I never suggested we cut it to 1990 levels. I suggested we bring it to 1990 levels and then adjust for the inflation between then and now. As I said, if x was enough in 1990 why is x+inflation not good enough in 2009? But it seems evident that you have been purchased by Fianna Fail like most people. And as regards morals: who is the state to be the moral adjudicator of the people? If you really think so much welfare needs to be paid, instead of forcing me to pay with you, why don't you donate to charity?
    What you do there now is tie social welfare cuts in with some bailout, which you know is complete bull. I don't suggest cutting welfare for any reason other than the level of welfare in this country is wrong. If people feel that we need more welfare, donate to charity please. But don't force me to come along with you.
    The welfare will be cut - but if you think that will get us out of the hole, you're deeply mistaken.
    Once again, why did social welfare have to raise it quicker that inflation? And if you think that was justified, why cant we cut it quicker than deflation? Kindly answer this.
    Shockingly poor governance by the kleptocrats that you love defending?
    Of course higher taxes didn't cause the recession, they weren't around. However they will exacerbate it by reducing demand for products, getting everyone to cling on to what little they get thereby reducing jobs, and making being an entrepreneur less worthwhile.
    Wrong. Irelands domestic market is basically insignificant to our health. The consumer spending (which led to the VAT and stamp duty bumper years) patterns of the Celtic Tiger are GONE FOREVER. Attempting to stimulate them with taxcuts is not only dangerous - it's not going to bloody work! You're attempting to close the stable door after the horse is gone!
    We had debts that increased during the boom, so its a bit to late for the now don't you think?
    A bit late? Eh, we owe that money and we must pay it back. To do so we need to cut expenses and raise taxes - aggressively and urgently.
    Why is that? Why should I have to pay such high tax?
    Because the government, bankers, economists and developers made a balls of it? If you don't want to pay tax, leave and go...eh where, exactly? Tax isn't a choice. If you don't pay it, you are guilty of an offence and imprisoned. So where will you go?
    You are just so wrong. You do realize that when foreign companies come here they have to check out income tax rates, otherwise the people they hire from abroad simply wont come here as it wont be worth their while financially?
    They check our CT rate and say "nice one". Then they check the million other factors that go into a decision to locate a business...:rolleyes:
    Also small business don't pay corporation tax. Your going to give them another kick in the balls? Everyone knows they're the ones suffering.
    They're suffering because of the credit crunch and the worldwide economic depression - not because of having the most liberal taxation system in thew developed world! Sole traders paid hardly any tax over the last 15 years when they were making bumper profits - why should we give them tax breaks now. The business class in Ireland are just as guilty of the crash as their kleptocrat masters at the top. Without their support, it couldn't have happened. In fact, they were the ones pumping the property bubble, leading us towards doomsday. They blew the wealth given to them by the government (SSIA's, tax cuts etc) on pie in the sky. I'd also suggest the non exporting sole trader sector is not of vital importance to the economy. If the banks won't lend to them, their business isn't viable and they should be let die - in accordance with the rules of the free market.

The irony is delicious. On one hand, you support cutting the welfare aggressively for the newly unemployed. On the other side, you actually support welfare for the business class in the form of continued unjustified tax breaks! You're a real joker, you know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

turgon wrote: »
    Do you think CEO's unnecessary? Do you think these men/women who have control over millions (if not billions) of euro of money should be payed less?

Well, taking the US as an example, these "CEOs" used to be paid alot less (in multiples of wages of their average workers) than they are currently.
    They are much more efficient now I suppose & deserve it all. Company collapses (due to bad management or plain corruption & fraud) etc are, of course, a thing of the past.
    pearcider wrote:
    Even if all the Bord Snip Nua Cuts are implemented, which they won't be, it's not nearly enough to get us out of the hole. Tax is going up - end of story. See the Commission on Taxations report later on in the year. Basically, there is a lot more scope for tax increases. But you can bet your life that the ruling class howling for social cuts now will be against the corresponding tax rises when the Commissions report is published.

So true. I love the chicken-and-egg argument (earlier on the thread) that the really wealthy, who only make up a small proportion of the population god love em, already contribute most of the tax take, while those on social wefare an low pay shirk their national duty. How could it be otherwise. The top couple of % control almost all the wealth there is to tax anyway!
    The problem for the government is to figure out how much more it can extract without causing the well-padded to squirrel too much of their money away elsewhere, defraud the Revenue etc ala the 80s.

• Advertisement

nicola09 wrote: »

those on social wellfare are not the ones who will get this economy out of the ditch

re those on social wellfare are not the ones who will get this economy out of the ditch..
    hardly their fault they lost their jobs either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

re those on social wellfare are not the ones who will get this economy out of the ditch..
    hardly their fault they lost their jobs either

What irritates me is the fact that those who put the economy in the ditch are not taking responsibility for their actions in any way.

Riv

Well if you are talking about the developers a lot of them are finding it hard to get loans now. End of the day the old way of life under the boom is now a thing of the past. cant see us ever returning to those days again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JasonBourne 2.0

well said pearcider you really put him in his place. great argument:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

The problem for the government is to figure out how much more it can extract without causing the well-padded to squirrel too much of their money away elsewhere, defraud the Revenue etc ala the 80s.
    Indeed. But in fairness, the present Revenue authorities have a lot more resources available to them. They operate at a considerably higher level than the 80's and if they want to squeeze the rich, they will. The question is, will the political will be there? Reading the media reaction to the Bord Snip report, I fear not. In reality, we'll have to wait for The Commission on Taxation report to properly judge the Bord Snip Nua one. Now that will be an interesting read...

I expect to be bitterly disappointed considering 1) the make up of the panel ( a veritable who's who of the business class) 2) it's relatively limited terms of reference (their remit does not extend to the CT rate for example)

The great unknown is income tax, tax credit and thresholds and the possible consolidation of the levies. I expect more stable although still inequitable indirect tax increases in the areas of property, water and carbon. I hardly need to say that these taxes have a greater negative impact on the general society and the working poor than the wealthy - just like cuts in services. :(

-

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Just a few comments,

Re: taking money from judges politicians etc., agree with the undeniable facts that a reduction in Cowen's, ministers TD's salaries wont save the country but they would give some leadership. The cuts needed are unpopular what cuts aren't but surely leading by example would make them somewhat easier to get through.

I work in PS and in 18 months my salary went up by 7.5% just like that and my job never changed. The PS has got to be realistic reverse benchmarking simple as is and when the good times come back (they will we are in what is called an economic cycle they have been happening for years {a bit condescending I know}) let wages go back up if required. I cant get over how people in PS believe they were left behind by the celtic Tiger for God's sake we got a fortune in pay rises have great pensions and pretty much unlooseable jobs.

Long term we need to make one simple change to PS be able to sack i.e. no pensions good night jack get out and close the door behind you people who do not do their job. i dont believe in slave labour or anything but if you have a job you should start at 9 and finish at 5 take your 10min and lunch break and you should be gainfully employed the entire day simple as.

McCarty has made some goos points and has outlined some good cuts i reckon. The social welfare would save (by my figures!!!) about €200 million by cutting payment €7/week thats €1 a day. Welfare should keep you alive simple as, tv brand name clothes are not part of welfare provision. I aint a told you so but i took a mortgage much lower than the bank offered because it was what I could afford and apart from mortgage have only one loan which is being paid down with every penny I have so when the next hit comes and I know it has to I can cope. people in this country have to be responsible and realise that small changes can all add up and batten down the hatches.

Our clowns in charge biggest problem is they are carreer politicians cant make a decission and are still stuck in Bertie mode (who I blame for this entire mess he is a horrible little weasel) whereby everyone should be happy. I hate FF and never voted for them though I do think John McGuiness and maybe just maybe Lenihan might have the balls to solve this mess, though I am suspicious of someone who would read at the funeral of a man who stole from your fathers medical fund but hey his Da was a little forgetful too.

My 2 cents overall cant solve this mess without reducing PS pay pretty simple:D:D

Even if all the Bord Snip Nua Cuts are implemented, which they won't be, it's not nearly enough to get us out of the hole. Tax is going up - end of story. See the Commission on Taxations report later on in the year. Basically, there is a lot more scope for tax increases. But you can bet your life that the ruling class howling for social cuts now will be against the corresponding tax rises when the Commissions report is published. And the only reason for that is that they're a bunch of spoilt cnuts.

Whatever. When you have companies moving their official operations here (but, purely for the tax rate, no investment or jobs included) you know the CT rate is important. But as tax rises in the States and the UK, we should raise ours too. The rich must pay for their folly.

I'll say it again - we must strike a balance. If you make the full 5B cuts you're still 15B short in a tax year. Then what? Cut spending again in 2010/2011 as the economy deflates further, crime rises & confidence crashes? Then you'll hear the same kleptocrats saying we must sell our national assets. Sell ESB and Bord Gais to their venture capital buddies(at bargain basement prices because we're in a an asset crash/depression) and that will give us another 5 billion! And all the while the elephant in the room is ignored? Among the lowest tax burdens in the developed world? It's just not equitable when you consider that Ireland is not Switzerland or Austria. We need investment in public services. You say blah blah blah, once the Stamp Duty runs out, you should forget about public services, we can't afford them. The reality is our European peers had excellent public services long before we got rich so continued investment is required. Our public services are still no where near European standards.

How is it irresponsible? I simple want to model our system on our peers not on a dodgy African state or special case countries like Switzerland for the benefit of the crony capitalists (who benefit from tax cuts). You pretend like tax cuts = good tax increases = bad. The reality is a lot more complex. Look at the Bush tax cuts in the US? Hardly a success were they and the country is in such debt now (after bailing out Corporate America.) that taxes must be increased significantly because they were cut in the good times - completely against rational thinking and only to satisfy the kleptocracy. It's completely crazy.

The rich were given tax cuts in the good times by Muppet McCreevy (and Bush for that matter)..and now you're suggesting not touching tax in the bad times - despite the national resources going to bail out...the rich? Yeah, that's fair. :rolleyes:

This isn't even a serious rebuttal to my point that Poland and us are playing different ball games. Poland are sitting between Russia and Germany. Obviously they have completely different priorities and imperatives to us. They are low cost compared to us but also they don't have our geographical position or our relationship with the US and Britain. Also even with our significant job losses (basically caused by the FF policies of housing boom and bust) we both have roughly the same unemployment as of this moment. They also have almost 3 times our poverty rate. Not a country I personally want to model us on.

You're clueless. Ireland high wages are only a part of our uncompetitiveness - of course a 15 year boom is going to make us uncompetitive in comparison to a third world country that was in a slump all that time. We're really really rich in comparison to Poland. What Poland don't have - they don't speak English, they don't have our versatile, Anglo friendly business environment (including our IP laws and our generally excellent regulatory system, we're one of the easiest countries to set up a business in the world) In fact they attract barely any of the high level FDI we're in the game for. If you were referencing Denmark or Singapore I might feel this is worth debating but...

It should certainly be looked at - which it will be by the Commsion on Taxation. What was right for Ireland in the early 90's is not right now.

I more or less agree with you that the boom was tragically squandered. Of course you put the blame on stuff like a high minimum wage as if mim wage jobs are actually significant to a country like Ireland. You're just like an automaton for the kleptocracy - completely brainwashed, incapable of critical thinking. The ruling class squandered the boom in this country by investing the money given to them in tax cuts by the FF administration in our tiny, domestic property market - and let nobody forget it. How you can attribute a greater economic weight to the lads working in Spar as opposed to the so called Golden circles is not only laughable...It's actually really stupid. :rolleyes:

The welfare will be cut - but if you think that will get us out of the hole, you're deeply mistaken.

Shockingly poor governance by the kleptocrats that you love defending?

Wrong. Irelands domestic market is basically insignificant to our health. The consumer spending (which led to the VAT and stamp duty bumper years) patterns of the Celtic Tiger are GONE FOREVER. Attempting to stimulate them with taxcuts is not only dangerous - it's not going to bloody work! You're attempting to close the stable door after the horse is gone!

A bit late? Eh, we owe that money and we must pay it back. To do so we need to cut expenses and raise taxes - aggressively and urgently.

Because the government, bankers, economists and developers made a balls of it? If you don't want to pay tax, leave and go...eh where, exactly? Tax isn't a choice. If you don't pay it, you are guilty of an offence and imprisoned. So where will you go?

They check our CT rate and say "nice one". Then they check the million other factors that go into a decision to locate a business...:rolleyes:

They're suffering because of the credit crunch and the worldwide economic depression - not because of having the most liberal taxation system in thew developed world! Sole traders paid hardly any tax over the last 15 years when they were making bumper profits - why should we give them tax breaks now. The business class in Ireland are just as guilty of the crash as their kleptocrat masters at the top. Without their support, it couldn't have happened. In fact, they were the ones pumping the property bubble, leading us towards doomsday. They blew the wealth given to them by the government (SSIA's, tax cuts etc) on pie in the sky. I'd also suggest the non exporting sole trader sector is not of vital importance to the economy. If the banks won't lend to them, their business isn't viable and they should be let die - in accordance with the rules of the free market.

The irony is delicious. On one hand, you support cutting the welfare aggressively for the newly unemployed. On the other side, you actually support welfare for the business class in the form of continued unjustified tax breaks! You're a real joker, you know that?

Post of the day, surely...

Post of the day, surely...
    lads do we need to be quoting the same post over and over. taking up a lot of space on the space when you quote the entire message. highlight parts of the relevant post if you have too. just a suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

People who are referring to PS - do you mean Public Service or Private Sector? A bit confusing!

By the way, those villains on the dole, how are they going to pay the fuel bills next winter? Some of my gas bills were €400 and €500 last winter, and when I rang Bord Gáis they told me that I wasn't using any more units than in previous years.

I'm not on the dole (yet) like most of those posting here. But I'm shaking my heads at the attitude that people who are, are scroungers. There aren't jobs out there for them, lads.

And this is where I think the emphasis should be: get the country back to work. Look at what Japan did after World War II, when its economy was utterly destroyed by the war. We can do the same, if we do what they did: focus completely on jobs and work.

And yes, this is where Cowen and his merry band need to stand up and be counted, and say "We're going to cut our pay right down to 1990s rates, and we're going to institute a taxation system that will level the pay rates out so that the rich share the burden."

As long as they're shuffling their feet and stepping aside when any pain is mentioned, everyone's going to continue to chorus, with them: "Not me, oh no, it's the other guy who should take the pain."

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

To Luckat

Apologies overlooked that bit in my case PS = public sector sorry bout that

I will respond to pearcider now. What I noticed as an underlying trend in his post was not some economic policy with goals of getting us out of recension, but rather an bog standard begrudging against the rich and successful. Example:
    And the only reason for that is that they're a bunch of spoilt cnuts.

It only took until the end of the first paragraph for pearcider to get personal, and label those who earn a lot, c***s. Economics isnt so personal you see - deciding economic policy you must do whats best for the economy. However it is imminently clear that pearcider isnt doing this. By the very nature of him labeling certain groups c***s, it shows his views do not seek the best economy, but rather those policies that would merely hurt those he dislikes the most. Of course within the terms of this discussion, that amounts to shotting himself in the foot.
    Whatever. When you have companies moving their official operations here (but, purely for the tax rate, no investment or jobs included) you know the CT rate is important.

I have pointed out multiple times on this board the last few days the importance of the higher rate of tax in determining investment. Firstly, foreign companies coming here want a higher tax rate that will encourage the best business men in the field to come and work for them. If an American business man sees Ireland has a huge income tax rate, he simply wont come to be employed. Thus does it become unfeasible for the company to set up here.

Secondly, corporation tax only applies to companies. If your a sole trader, for instance, corporation tax means nothing. So the profits depend solely on income tax. If this is higher, profits go down. Thus, new entrepreneurs dont set up business (dont create employment) and current business close (longer dole ques).

This is an economic argument Im putting forward. Try to dismiss it economically it without bringing out some petty hatred of the successful.
    The rich must pay for their folly.

I dont really get this. What "folly"? Your very loose with your description of "rich." In fact the people you label rich only account for a tiny fraction of those on the higher tax band. Just because some people on the higher tax band abused their position, it is not rational to increase the tax on all.

But once again, I feel perdy stupid here. You've a petty grudge towards the rich, and no economic argument is going to change that, right?
    Then you'll hear the same kleptocrats saying we must sell our national assets.

There is a significant rationale for privatization of state assets (such as increases in efficiency and cost effectiveness) but I got a feeling you don't want to here about that. Its easier for you to "close one eye and be king."
    You say blah blah blah, once the Stamp Duty runs out, you should forget about public services, we can't afford them.

I didnt say that. I said now that the money is gone, the government should back peddle and rationalize government spending.
    How is it irresponsible? I simple want to model our system on our peers not on a dodgy African state or special case countries like Switzerland for the benefit of the crony capitalists...

Ive read the rest of you post, but this is where I stop replying. Simply because the rest is just a rehash of the above featuring some big words you learned in some political meeting where ye planned the overthrow of the greedy deceitful capitalists, no doubt. Your trench was dug long before I took out an economic argument, and your were hardly going to actually reconsider your position based on silly little economics. Economics!! Who needs economics when we have petty hatreds and jealous grudges?

I am stopping to reply here because the only thing thats clear is that you dont give two ****s about the economy. This is evident by your calling those on the high tax band "crony," "spoilt" and "cnuts." You didnt come on this thread with the goal of debating what was best for the economy, you came on with debating how best to hurt those you have a grudge against. Ive made my economic argument above, but you dont like that, so your going to label those I am "giving welfare" to (that comment made you look real smart, btw) more derogatory names that, incidentally, gets us no where near the end of recession.

Get over the petty grudge. Among the variety of things I could call it, its sad and immature. These "rich" arent some distant elite, theyre a group of people that anyone with a bit of hard work and determination can join. You dont like that fact, so go on, take this opportunity and call them "cnuts" again. That 'il show 'em!

luckat wrote: »
    "We're going to cut our pay right down to 1990s rates, and we're going to institute a taxation system that will level the pay rates out so that the rich share the burden."

Firstly, I notice you dont want to decrease spending to 1990 levels, its all pretty one way with you. Secondly, the top 6% of earners contribute 47% of tax. Is that not sharing the burden?

Oops oops oops, silly me for using statistics. Who need statistics when have hatred.

Turgon and Pearcider. make your closing arguments. going back and forth here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

By the way, those villains on the dole, how are they going to pay the fuel bills next winter? Some of my gas bills were €400 and €500 last winter, and when I rang Bord Gáis they told me that I wasn't using any more units than in previous years.

In the current virtual panic situation many forget that we have already been softened up over a recent period.
    The Gas bill which raised Luckat`s eyebrows jumped 18% in one fell swoop last year,as did the Electricity tariff.

Interestingly,we are supposed to disregard any suspected hi-jinks 12 months later when the shiny new semi-kinda-sorta-half privatized Bord Gáis generated electricity begins to fizz and spark at a "Whopping" 15% "saving" on bad ol ESB rates...

Let me see.....a 15% discount on a unit of consumption which has recently increased by 20% appears to my feeble mind to represent a 5% INCREASE if taken over what should be the comparator rate.....:confused:

However since I most certainly am not an economist I am fully ready to be corrected and replaced in my box.

There is also a quite worrying aspect to how those "Villans" on The Dole will have to rein in their expectations.

There is little doubt but that the MAJORITY of DSFA benefit recipients ARE legitimately recieving their due from what is a Pay Related Social INSURANCE scheme.

Most people I interact with appear to have completely lost sight of that defining aspect of the "Social Welfare" timebomb.

"The Premiums of the Many go to Pay the Claims of the Few"

Modern Ireland,and to an extent the UK are possibly the prime examples of how this simple base ethic was thrown over a wall and we launched off on a wild experimental Social Fling that now sees us all threshing about in the ****.

Perhaps it`s no bad thing that somebody on-the-dole will now have to watch that immersion or castigate a shower-hungry teenager ?

Equally we may actively have to start looking at the somewhat les extravagant daily lifestyles of those frugal,boring ol Germans,Belgians and Dutch who go to bed early yet have fewer feral groups of wild verbally incontinent youthful progeny wandering abroad in the wee small hours searching for stuff to destroy or steal ?

My Irish born,long time German resident friends can tell me to the nearest 500cc their weekly water usage...both potable and waste....largely because they PAY for it.
    They are acutely aware of every "Green" incentive provided by their Local Regional and City Administration because it enables them to REDUCE the cost of running their Apartment.
    They are actively engaged in the Management Committee of their complex because thay want to ensure that they collectively don`t miss out on any such incentives which may arrive along.

They are currently child-less by choice having decided to forgo the pleasure in typical frigid teutonic manner in order to get a firm sustainable family base in place FIRST before bringing another being into the world.

Having largely established that solid base,they now appear to have an entitlement to a substantial system of Child and Family centred benefits designed to raise the German birth rate.

However it is their attitude to my Car that perhaps illustrates best where our cultures differ.....They express no surprise or concern that I drive a 1992 Audi with 164,000 Miles up and fully expect it to serve me for many more years.
    This is in stark contrast to many of my native pals for whom the 92 plate is a source of great mirth and even speculation as to whether it indicates my miserable-sod status or whether I really am on hard times.

It appears to me that part of the Post-McCarthyite era in Ireland will involve an entire Social Class having to re-evaluate just what aspects of their life and lifestyles will HAVE to go.

For those in employment,income cuts have already begun that process and herein lies the nub of the problem.
    Those in current employment have always been more amenable to management of their financial affairs whether it be mistaken or not.

The State`s major problem now lies in convincing a significant number of people who are totally divorced from the reality of income vs expenditure budgeting that they will have to drop back a notch.

It is a moot point as to whether a largely bankrupt State can even consider funding such items as Mobile Telephone Allowances,Baby Buggies and Equipment,Free Travel Passes,Various Substance Abuse Councilling programmes to a lage group who have NEVER contributed whilst coincidentally denying urgent medical care to people who may have full Social Welfare contributions paid up over a long productive working life...THAT situation,more than anything is what could eventually break the Irish Camel`s back in a very spectacular manner indeed.

Sadly,thumbing through the Expenditure Review Committee`s recommendations I cannot find much evidence of the Committee`s understanding of the entire business of how skewed our Society has become after decades of the Social Support culture and that lack of evidence IS worrying when one considers the supposed infallibility of the McCarthy Committee`s findings..... :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

eddiej wrote: »
    Just a few comments,

Re: taking money from judges politicians etc., agree with the undeniable facts that a reduction in Cowen's, ministers TD's salaries wont save the country but they would give some leadership. The cuts needed are unpopular what cuts aren't but surely leading by example would make them somewhat easier to get through.

I work in PS and in 18 months my salary went up by 7.5% just like that and my job never changed. The PS has got to be realistic reverse benchmarking simple as is and when the good times come back (they will we are in what is called an economic cycle they have been happening for years {a bit condescending I know}) let wages go back up if required. I cant get over how people in PS believe they were left behind by the celtic Tiger for God's sake we got a fortune in pay rises have great pensions and pretty much unlooseable jobs.

Long term we need to make one simple change to PS be able to sack i.e. no pensions good night jack get out and close the door behind you people who do not do their job. i dont believe in slave labour or anything but if you have a job you should start at 9 and finish at 5 take your 10min and lunch break and you should be gainfully employed the entire day simple as.

McCarty has made some goos points and has outlined some good cuts i reckon. The social welfare would save (by my figures!!!) about €200 million by cutting payment €7/week thats €1 a day. Welfare should keep you alive simple as, tv brand name clothes are not part of welfare provision. I aint a told you so but i took a mortgage much lower than the bank offered because it was what I could afford and apart from mortgage have only one loan which is being paid down with every penny I have so when the next hit comes and I know it has to I can cope. people in this country have to be responsible and realise that small changes can all add up and batten down the hatches.

Our clowns in charge biggest problem is they are carreer politicians cant make a decission and are still stuck in Bertie mode (who I blame for this entire mess he is a horrible little weasel) whereby everyone should be happy. I hate FF and never voted for them though I do think John McGuiness and maybe just maybe Lenihan might have the balls to solve this mess, though I am suspicious of someone who would read at the funeral of a man who stole from your fathers medical fund but hey his Da was a little forgetful too.

My 2 cents overall cant solve this mess without reducing PS pay pretty simple:D:D

no , this is the post of the day

BTW , i dont believe that any public servants believe they benefited nothing from the celtic tiger , what i do believe is that most irish people will say almost anything when thier pay packet is under threat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

pearcider wrote:
    What Poland don't have - they don't speak English

Wrong. I work with Polish people on a daily basis and their English is excellent. English is taught to the kids on the curriculum from a young age. A bit like the Dutch.
    Have you ever met a Polish person who does not speak English? They are rare.
    An effective higher rate of 45-47%? Oooooh the pain.:rolleyes: Give the people earning 100k+ 60%. Suggestion to offset the pain; 1) give up running the S Class 2) sell some of your overseas property. 3) stop spoiling your children. Hardly swinging cutbacks are they?

No, I want direct tax to go up to stabilize our public finances - end of. I'm not against a reverse benchmarking system perse but the reality is the consistent media attacks on the PS are obviously co ordinated and agenda driven by our arrogant (not to mention completely barmy) kleptocracy. Of whom people are rightly suspicious. These are the very same people who screwed the thing up in the first place! I consistently hear about the so called public sector premium and think so what? The PS are significantly older, far more highly educated, do more difficult and essential jobs and are fully unionzied. Of course they get a good deal! :confused: They can demand it. If you think it's so fabulous, by all means, sign up. Last time i checked, it was a noble thing to serve ones country. So don't pretend the PS don't do a valuable job - the last OECD report was basically extremely positive and praiseworthy of the sector. Of course they're pushing integration, integration, integration which is all very well until we wake up in a stalinist state! :( But i digress...Can a modern country work without regulation, law and order, social services, hospitals, schools and other public services as a pre requiste? Of course it can't. Should we be aspiring toward creating an outstanding public sector? Of course we should.
    Reduce their pay? Like the Private sector?? Except wait a second...apparently only 9% of private sector folk have cut pay? Don't we still have 15% or so in construction and maybe another 10% in banking and insurance which means the two sectors most directly culpable for the bust have actually done alright out of it! I'd remind you that the PS has already had a 7.5% paycut across the board. Is that justice? And considering I and a number of my colleagues have gotten raises this year, I would suggest they have a ****ing case! :cool:
    And I could just as easily say, you don't cut social services at a time when our vulnerable citizens most need them. What we do with our tax system is irrelevant to the global economy which is in a depression. We are so open we're basically at the mercy of the rest of the world anyway. But our trade is holding up well. Whats really killed us is the property pop and the subsequent collapse of our banks. We don't have a choice. They are the reason for the increased taxes, not the gardas salary nor indeed our admittedly generous social allowances. Let's not lose sight of the facts here.

To sum up, you do want the entire workforce to pay for the overpaid public service. That 7.5% 'paycut' is a pension levy, you get it back.

Fyi, it was found in the last ESRI report that the lower echelons of the PS was overpaid by 30% when compared to equivalent positions and qualifications/experience in the private sector.

I know where you want this country to go, that is the 80s. In case you are too young to remember, taxes went sky high to pay for an overpaid public service back then.
    What happened was that economic activity was stifled and the country nearly went bankrupt servicing a high national debt. A certain McCarthy report came out then and the slashing began aka Tallaght Strategy.

It took about 10 years for them to make the proper public service cuts to save the country, will we be waiting 10 years again?

Turgon and Pearcider. make your closing arguments. going back and forth here.

Ok.

The government spending bill went wild during the boom, with FF paying for things they didn't need simply because they had the money. Now that this tax base is all but gone, the natural thing to do it curtail the lavish spending. To those who grew up during the boom this may seem unreasonable, as they have become accustomed to such government, but it is not natural nor right. I believe spending cuts should be deep, but should be done in such a way as to prepare for the future out of the recession. With this in mind, I believe education should not be cut as we need to look ahead. I believe that all the gains in Public sector wages during the boom need now to go the exact other way. I believe minimum wages must go down disproportionately to deflation as they went up disproportionately to inflation. Welfare must be completely and utterly rationalized. It amounts for 1/3 of our spending bill.

I accept rises in taxation, but only small ones and where absolutely necessary. I define "absolutely necessary" as situations where deep spending cuts have been made and we need tax merely to rectify the budget deficit allowed to escalate during the boom.

We need to keep our eye on the future economy and we need to stay competitive. We need to encourage business and foreign investment by showing the Ireland is a place where hard work and risk is rewarded. I believe now that we have costed ourselves out of low level manufacturing jobs, the place where we must perform is in higher grade, entrepreneurial powered, business.

We need to get out of this recession without shooting ourselves in the foot. We must not give into to petty jealousies and grudgeries of the rich, but realize that by encouraging business we create jobs.

• Advertisement

turgon wrote: »
    Ok.

The government spending bill went wild during the boom, with FF paying for things they didn't need simply because they had the money. Now that this tax base is all but gone, the natural thing to do it curtail the lavish spending. To those who grew up during the boom this may seem unreasonable, as they have become accustomed to such government, but it is not natural nor right. I believe spending cuts should be deep, but should be done in such a way as to prepare for the future out of the recession. With this in mind, I believe education should not be cut as we need to look ahead. I believe that all the gains in Public sector wages during the boom need now to go the exact other way. I believe minimum wages must go down disproportionately to deflation as they went up disproportionately to inflation. Welfare must be completely and utterly rationalized. It amounts for 1/3 of our spending bill.

I accept rises in taxation, but only small ones and where absolutely necessary. I define "absolutely necessary" as situations where deep spending cuts have been made and we need tax merely to rectify the budget deficit allowed to escalate during the boom.

We need to keep our eye on the future economy and we need to stay competitive. We need to encourage business and foreign investment by showing the Ireland is a place where hard work and risk is rewarded. I believe now that we have costed ourselves out of low level manufacturing jobs, the place where we must perform is in higher grade, entrepreneurial powered, business.

We need to get out of this recession without shooting ourselves in the foot. We must not give into to petty jealousies and grudgeries of the rich, but realize that by encouraging business we create jobs.
    yes some good points there. I would think a temporary cap on all wage increases regardless of what was promised has to be introduced. And agree totally that cuts in education would be totally counter productive. we can not put people's future at risk.

Advertisement