Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBOX 360 and external HD NTFS

• 16-07-2009 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

I have today my xbox with a ext 500GB FAT32 file system, I was wondering if we can have a NTFS files system and play the movies on the xbox (Thats because some HD movies are too big for FAT32 )

Any experience on this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I haven't checked in ages but AFAIK, it's only FAT32 - the Xbox won't even see an NTFS partition...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pires

Any chance that any of you have a NTFS and have a try ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

I can confirm that it won't recognise NTFS.

Bought an external hard drive a month ago and did the test myself. Drive was pre formatted to FAT32. 360 was able recognise the file I put on it, however after a quick reformat to NTFS there was a no show by the 360.

Your best bet is to get yourself a memory stick and a good avi converter for your movies.

Thats is sad... I have a 500GB Dedicate to my Xbox full of movies

I have a router which has USB, could put on the network but then again the router dont accept NTFS :(

Xbox doesnt accept NTFS is almost a joke...

Guys which solutions you use for media extender ?

TBH, I just use my MacBook for most media playback these days cause I'm sick and tired of having to jump through hoops to get stuff to work on an Xbox360 (or a PS3 for that matter). Most of my videos are in an mkv container and even though the size is not an issue (I stream everything off a Windows Home Server), you still have to convert these for both the Xbox and the PS3 which is a pain... On the PS3, I've used this and it works very well for transcoding the mkv on the fly:

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

Still, can't be bothered with all this though and end up using my laptop most of the time... There are similar streaming apps for the Xbox (TVersity comes to mind - http://tversity.com/) but I don't have first hand experience with them. And at the end of the day, none of them will be quite as straightforward as just being able to play supported media off a USB stick/hard drive...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

J-blk wrote: »
    Most of my videos are in an mkv container and even though the size is not an issue (I stream everything off a Windows Home Server), you still have to convert these for both the Xbox and the PS3 which is a pain... On the PS3, I've used this and it works very well for transcoding the mkv on the fly:

I realise this is off-topic but it's worth a mention, get yourself off to divx labs here

:D

Installed and via media centre extender I can now natively play the high res mkv files. It's very worthwhile.

Cheers

hshortt wrote: »
    I realise this is off-topic but it's worth a mention, get yourself off to divx labs here

Seems interesting, thanks. Might give it a go at some point but I hate booting into Windows for anything (the WHS system is my only Windows PC left). If they bake similar functionality into the next iteration of WHS, that'd be awesome... Though it would be even more awesome if they just added .mkv support to the Xbox itself - if they are doing it for Windows 7 anyway, I wonder what the roadblock for adding it to the Xbox is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

A bit of a broken record, me ... But I find TVersity great, dead easy to set up and use. Never had any problems with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Luckily mine was FAT32.....

My laptop has HDMI, thank god, so I dont use the xbox for watching stuff on my tv at all anymore....

I did use Tversity for a while but it was quite a pain in the bum I thought!

Must try media center, ive never given it a chance really......

Hi lads,

My laptop as also a HDMI, but then you have to have all the cables around, and XBOX is a great media extender, I use with a external HD on it and has been working very well... but now I'm thinking to go just for HD movies then I might have some work to do it, at the moment I'm using windows media player to play the stuff on xbox that I cant play from the Hard Disk, and you know nothing better then share experience to know if you are doing in the right way or in the HARD way :)

BTW: Any good way to organize the media files ? like with pics from the movies and etc ? I just download my movies but didnt use yet...

• Advertisement

Xbox 360 also supports HFS+, Which dosnt have the max file size limitation.

Get a program called MacDrive format the drive as HFS+ and your good to go.

However only HD-WMVs can be over the 4.sumthingGb File size limit, HD Mpeg4`s will have to be split.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

pires wrote: »
    Hi lads,

My laptop as also a HDMI, but then you have to have all the cables around, and XBOX is a great media extender, I use with a external HD on it and has been working very well... but now I'm thinking to go just for HD movies then I might have some work to do it, at the moment I'm using windows media player to play the stuff on xbox that I cant play from the Hard Disk, and you know nothing better then share experience to know if you are doing in the right way or in the HARD way :)

BTW: Any good way to organize the media files ? like with pics from the movies and etc ? I just download my movies but didnt use yet...

As long as your pic name is the same as the movie name MCE will pick it up an display..i think the optimal is about 200x200 or something like that.

Advertisement