Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on buying satnav 100 - 150 euro

Options
  • 16-07-2009 10:24am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got lost going to Lucan last night, (well I found lucan, but not the right bloody football pitch) so im going to finally get myself a satnav.

Does anyone have experience / advice with the cheaper ones - im on a tight budget sadly....

Im just interested in finding routes, nothing too flashy, I coach a womens team and play with a mens team, thats a lot of pitch searching each year and I get lost trying to find O Connell street in the car!

Budget 100-150 euro
    Sticking to TomTom or Garmin having looked at some posts...

any recommendations?

Looking at TomTom ONE classic for 99 euro in Argos

or

TomTom ONE v4 for 139 euro from argos

also they have the

Garmin Nuvi 200 for 129 euro

suggestions on a postcard please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would suggest the Tomtom v4 or XL (same price 139), because of the Mapshare

From another thread:
    koolkid wrote: »
    For changes like this TomTom Mapshare is the best. You can block/unblock streets.
    Change direction or make streetes one way
    Add, remove , edit or move POIs.
    Add /Remove rounabouts.
    Edit speed limits.
    All instantly changed on your device & shared with others when you connect to your PC.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

oh dear :(

I got the Garmin....

dunno if its any good....

Don't worry, Garmin is a major player and many many users have them and are perfectly happy.

I just like the Mapshare that Tomtom has

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Got it up and running, missing one or two new roads in my area and cant see my house!!! its been built 4 years now.

tried to update it but need to connect it to PC to register it, cleverly no usb cable comes with it.

no AC power adaptor but found an old motorola phone charger that actually fits and works with it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stwome01

Best of Luck with the new Sat Nav. Just ordered a Garmin Nuvi 255 from amazon today. I will post my own thoughts on it when I get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Morphéus wrote: »
    Got it up and running, missing one or two new roads in my area and cant see my house!!! its been built 4 years now.

tried to update it but need to connect it to PC to register it, cleverly no usb cable comes with it.

no AC power adaptor but found an old motorola phone charger that actually fits and works with it!!!

You are entitled to a free upgrade to the latest map version if you register the unit within 60 days of the unit getting it's first satellite fix. It would be best to get a friend with a PC and a good broadband link, register it and download the latest maps for free.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Magnus wrote: »
    Don't worry, Garmin is a major player and many many users have them and are perfectly happy.

I just like the Mapshare that Tomtom has

Seems that the TomToms _need_ Mapshare.

I got a One recently and its had the latest maps downloaded and there seem to be way more errors than I ever noticed on my Garmin or Navigon - some are sloppy transcriptions eg Lona Drive instead of Iona Drive but also missing roundabouts and POIs that are totally misplaced eg it has the Radisson SAS which is on the road to Shannon located in the middle of a Limerick CIty suburb (behind the Gaelic Grounds).

Tomtom use TeleAtlas, the world's 2nd largest digital maps producer.
    The Mapshare means you can update mistakes like spelling etc yourself and then upload it to the Tomtom community for approval and fix.
    Next time you download updates from Tomtom the spelling mistake etc should be fixed, as I understand it.

I haven't used mine extensively enough yet find any issues *fingers crossed*

Advertisement