Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trade in vs private sale

• 16-07-2009 10:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

Thinking of upgrading our 2003 Yaris to a newer Ford Focus. That year Yaris is averaging 5k on carzone, and newer Focus' are around the same.

Obviously, be far handier to use a dealer and trade in, but would I better off trying to sell the Yaris privately, or have private sales totally dried up these days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Carzone prices are often in dreamland and bear little resemblance to actual selling prices. If you have found a car you like try the dealer for a cost to change. If you want to sell your car privately to have any hope it needs to be the cheapest of its kind. No harm putting it up for sale and buy with cash afterwards - probably be the cheapest option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The advantage to selling your own privately, is that you will be able to negotiate for discount on the car you're potentially buying. But the only way your Yaris will sell, is if yours is the cheapest online, the cheapest reasonable mileage Yaris from 03 online is 4000 Euro, and I'm sure if you met the guy in person selling that you'd haggle a few hundred off it - so if you want to sell yours, you'd need to be willing to let it go for 3500 or thereabouts IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

A friend sold her 2001 Yaris for 2000 euro privately.
    you'd need to be willing to let it go for 3500 or thereabouts IMO.

yup! or possibly even less when someone trys to get a discount from you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BigZack

Average price today for a clean 03 Yaris would be around 5k with 1 - 1200 Euro to play with for discount.

Try advertising it online for 4,500. If you get 4 you'll be in a strong position to negotiate on the focus as a cash buyer. Remember its the cost to change that's important so find out what the best cash deal is on the focus before you make up your mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

another question on this as we're keen to move on it now.

the car has a few scratches on it and a tiny dent or two, and definitely needs touching up to look pristine again. when we were getting the car serviced a few months ago i mentioned offhand to the mechanic about it getting it done, in lieu of trading in with a dealer, and he said he wouldn't bother, a dealer will have their own crew to do the work for next to nothing where a member of the public could spend a fortune to get it done.

obviously, if we're selling privately i'll get it done, but was he right? should i bother if we do decide just to trade in??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

the corpo wrote: »
    another question on this as we're keen to move on it now.

the car has a few scratches on it and a tiny dent or two, and definitely needs touching up to look pristine again. when we were getting the car serviced a few months ago i mentioned offhand to the mechanic about it getting it done, in lieu of trading in with a dealer, and he said he wouldn't bother, a dealer will have their own crew to do the work for next to nothing where a member of the public could spend a fortune to get it done.

obviously, if we're selling privately i'll get it done, but was he right? should i bother if we do decide just to trade in??

Don't bother getting it serviced if you're going to trade it in.
    It really won't affect the trade-in value but you'll be out of pocket due to the servicing. A valid NCT that has just been obtained will be more valuable because it indicates the car is in roadworthy condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

it's not the service that concerns me, simply aesthetic problems like paint patch ups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

the corpo wrote: »
    it's not the service that concerns me, simply aesthetic problems like paint patch ups

You'll find he'll huff and puff about it and how it'll reduce the value but sure he'll probably just give it a damn good cleaning, waxing and some t-cut and then mask some of the scratches.
    I wouldn't worry about it

Advertisement