Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lump on cows neck

• 16-07-2009 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

well everyone
    just noticed one of my cows in the last few day has a large (slightly larger than size of your fist) lump on her neck, kinda just behind the jaw, she doesnt appear uncomfortable but its a nasty looking thing, wonder should I leave it be or what it might be, in my experience the vets are very wishy washy about practically everything so not sure about bringing them out

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

its on her neck...
    so its not a tooth prob..
    she could hav got a prod,an absess! u touch it--it soft/hard?
    shot of pencilinn--mite help her..infection..and mayb spray to lump..cut and heal!

unsure..if call vet--costly! prob say--it will heal itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

havent touched now so cant say for sure but it looks solid enough, there are 2 little soars on it so as you say she might have goten a little nick somehwere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It could be Warblefly?

lump would hardly be this big for warble fly would it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

unsure if it would be warbles...
    thought--u'd find them mostly on the back of a cow,no??
    also with pour-ons,i think the day of warbles is long gone--would i be correct?
    i have never seen a case(hopefully never will)but father said was common in his day...come summer time--cattle running around fields,tails up--with warbles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Might be lumpy jaw, small bit like timber tongue - I had a case of this earlier in the year. Vet will need to treat it I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kulchie

It could be chronic liver fluke which can cause a swelling on the cows throat as shown in the picture in this Article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

if its just 1 lump its probably a prod , if there's loads could be a reaction to something or other

turned out to be abscess..dirty enough old thing, vet opened it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Glad you got the vet in, that could have turned into blood poisoning and you probably would have lost the cow. Small thing like a prod of a whitethorn could have caused it.
    turned out to be abscess..dirty enough old thing, vet opened it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

...yep, and the Blackthorn are even worse than the Whitethorn.

Advertisement