Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emissions Tester

• 16-07-2009 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭

Well Lads,
    Im looking into buying an emissions tester for the garage as I do a lot of exhausts before and after people go for their nct. Im not really having much look searching the web. Does anyone know where they are supplied from and what brand/s are out there.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭aristo

Codofwar wrote: »
    Well Lads,
    Im looking into buying an emissions tester for the garage as I do a lot of exhausts before and after people go for their nct. Im not really having much look searching the web. Does anyone know where they are supplied from and what brand/s are out there.
    Cheers

Brain Bee is the brand most used afaik, dunno who supplies it though,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

aristo wrote: »
    Brain Bee is the brand most used afaik, dunno who supplies it though,

You'll pay through the hoop for that OP, I mean a Brain Bee device. I've a mate who has a company that sells these, as far as I know he sells used one's as well if you are on a budget, I'm PM you on details...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Buy a Sun if the budget will stretch that far, if not buy a Sykes. Consider a Bosch, but only if you get a really good deal.

Do you understand the relationship between the gasses and what causes each to go high or low? If not, buy some training too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Buy a Sun if the budget will stretch that far, if not buy a Sykes. Consider a Bosch, but only if you get a really good deal.

Do you understand the relationship between the gasses and what causes each to go high or low? If not, buy some training too.

I sent him on a PM there, my mate is a Sun distributor, I think he might be able to get him set up with a used unit with a warranty. A new combination unit will set you back a good bit... BrainBee I think is just too expensive, hard to justify that kind of an outlay for emissions test equipment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

If my experience is anything to go by, stay away from MAHA.

Their service is brutal and the little scrote that calls here to do the calibration is so ill mannered it boils my blood.

If I was paying the invoices he would never set foot inside the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Slidey wrote: »
    If my experience is anything to go by, stay away from MAHA.

Their service is brutal and the little scrote that calls here to do the calibration is so ill mannered it boils my blood.

If I was paying the invoices he would never set foot inside the door.

We have 4 test lanes here working 8am to 8pm 6 days and they are all MAHA gear, gives no trouble whatsoever and I find MAHA's service second to none and never have to wait more than 1/2 a day for an engineer, best gear on the market which is why the NCT use it. We have tried a lot of other equipment over the years, Sun, VLT, Brainbee, crypton etc and can say that none of it matches the MAHA gear. Some of the NCT test lanes run 16-18 hr shifts 7 days with a huge throughput of vehicles all using MAHA gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I agree the gear is good. I have never used any other type of equipment personally, but the stuff very rarely gives bother

The problem I suppose is that I am in the North West and the guy assigned to the area is an ass.

Just an example, the smoke analyzer needed to be updated for the new smoke readings for vehicles registered after July 08.

I rang him and he came when I was away and the other tester didnt take any heed of him. He updated the software alright but he left the tester with a heap of issues. It wouldnt pick up the rev with the magnet, wouldn't allow you to enter reg at the end of the test and didnt give a result at the end.

I rang him back and asked if he had checked it before he left. He claimed he did and it was grand. Asked him to tell me the settings over the phone and he wasnt able to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

Cheers for all the info lads, to be honest I wouldn't know the full ins and outs of how it all works but as im only pricing at the moment, if I was to get good value and even think about buying anything I would want to get as much training as possible. spending quite a few bob on a machine and not knowing what its doing for you and why wouldn't cut it.
    Got the pm darragh cheers.

Advertisement