Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midlands Infrastructure Near-misses Article

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Good article, well researched.
    Though from a roads point of view I don't see the merit of the new Athloe-Mullingar road; there's now a new M6 and upgraded N52 link. I don't see the need therefore, seems like a luxury item in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

mfitzy wrote: »
    Good article, well researched.
    Though from a roads point of view I don't see the merit of the new Athloe-Mullingar road; there's now a new M6 and upgraded N52 link. I don't see the need therefore, seems like a luxury item in a way.

Meh..The dream of the midlands gateway towns being properly connected is over with statements like that.

Direct connections between all 3 (perhaps by 2+2 roads or similar) would be awesome for development in the region. Yes we cannot afford it now, but i think thats what should have been done years back. I would not allow politicians to pull wool over our eyes and say that the M6 is of use to Mullingar travellers. Most people going Ath-Mullingar still use the shoddy R390 as it is less mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Meh..The dream of the midlands gateway towns being properly connected is over with statements like that.

Direct connections between all 3 (perhaps by 2+2 roads or similar) would be awesome for development in the region. Yes we cannot afford it now, but i think thats what should have been done years back. I would not allow politicians to pull wool over our eyes and say that the M6 is of use to Mullingar travellers. Most people going Ath-Mullingar still use the shoddy R390 as it is less mileage.

We certainly cannot afford dual carriageways/all new roads between Midland towns of 15 or 20k people. We have to make max use of what we have already i.e. the M6 motorway- Mullingar is no more than 10 or 15 mins from the junction at Rochfortbridge on the N52 which has for the majority also been upgraded at great expense. I fail to see why Athlone could not be signposted this way; any longer disatance would surely be eaten up by faster and more efficient motorway driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

mfitzy wrote: »
    any longer disatance would surely be eaten up by faster and more efficient motorway driving.

... and safer, and a hell of a lot more enjoyable to drive than going down some twisty R road and being stuck behind a tractor.

Advertisement