Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing phone number

• 16-07-2009 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Quick question, hopefully someone can offer some advice. Basically Im tied down into a fixed term contract with a mobile operator. There is about eight months remaining on the contract. What has happened, is every single one of my friends has moved to Meteor, and I now need to do the same. I use my phone for calls a lot, and my last number of phone bills have been astronomical.

What I am wondering is, is there any possible way at all that I can keep my existing number, move to Meteor, and have just some new random number assigned to my existing contact, so I can pay the minimum monthly commitment by direct debit for the remainder of the contract. My reason for doing this is I can't really afford forking out for the cancellation fee in one go, and would rather let it pay itself off like this.

If I was to go to my mobile operator and tell them I need to change my phone number for one reason or another, and then go to Meteor and ask for my old number to be assigned to one of their SIM's, would that work?

Any help/advice appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

My mate did this before and i've done this before. We told the network we wanted to put a prepay number onto the bill and the bill number onto prepay.

It's at the networks discretion and they may or may not do it.

I've seen it done with both o2 and meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Cheers Random. Good to know it has been done at least. I will pop into the o2 store this evening and see if they can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

This is one of those things i'd try and request via the o2 forum, email or phone. I don't think you'll get very far in the shop.

Advertisement