Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal Highs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

latenia wrote: »
    I think these substances have already reached their tipping point amongst more serious recreational drug users who've taken them to the extreme and have seen the full range of bad side effects. I know plenty of people who've dabbled heavily and won't touch them anymore after experiencing heart trouble, breathing difficulties and horrific depression and paranoia, often having to miss 2 or 3 days work after a Saturday night.
    This coming summer will see them really take over the mainstream-I mean everyone's going to be doing this stuff everywhere with tourists coming over especially for it etc. After that (if they haven't already been banned) the horror stories will be about people's friends rather than some stranger on the internet and their usage will naturally die down as people move back to pills and weed or just plain old booze.

nobody is going to travel to ireland to use legal highs.

most people don't dabble heavily.

anyone that died from 'these' substances has in every single reported case been off their tits on a cocktail of booze and other drugs. but it's the legal highs that killed them. that's a fact. there's no scientific proof for that, but it's a fact. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭AKA pat sheen

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    I'm half hoping the ban meph though cos I'm getting fairly partial to it on a nite out and it's def very toxic

The only thing banning meph will do is push it underground so it will likely still be out there. Hopefully without sounding preachy, maybe you should avoid meph for a while..or longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Hopefully without sounding preachy, maybe you should avoid meph for a while..or longer.

WTF ?

"Rightly or wrongly I believe meph is very bad but the temptation to take it is so pressing regardless that I need the Government to stop me" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

I don't need the government to stop me just pushing it underground makes it easier to avoid. The fact I can make a few clicks and have it at my door 2 days later is all to convienient. Even if it is banned they will just tweak the structure of it to get around it.

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    I don't need the government to stop me just pushing it underground makes it easier to avoid. The fact I can make a few clicks and have it at my door 2 days later is all to convienient.

Most illegal drugs are as easy or easier to get hold of, I don't see your point.
    Even if it is banned they will just tweak the structure of it to get around it.
    If the ban is generic that won't be an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Most illegal drugs are as easy or easier to get hold of, I don't see your point.

Your wrong there. What's easier than droping into a headshop and getting something over the counter straight away? These places are open till 4am in the mourning. You can even order them online with a click of a button.

I've tried legal highs, just because they're readily available and easy to get but I wouldn't have a clue who to call to get any sort of class A drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

The only thing banning meph will do is push it underground so it will likely still be out there.

I'm not so sure, afaik it wouldn't be cheap enough to compete with more profitable street drugs. If mdma isn't even profitable enough, i'd be inclined to say mephedrone won't be either. It'll be back to mcpp pills for everyone.....

vinylmesh wrote: »
    I'm not so sure, afaik it wouldn't be cheap enough to compete with more profitable street drugs. If mdma isn't even profitable enough, i'd be inclined to say mephedrone won't be either. It'll be back to mcpp pills for everyone.....

I'm not sure what you mean by meph wouldn't be cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I'm not sure what you mean by meph wouldn't be cheap enough.

In terms of production costs. mcpp is apparently dirt cheap to synthesise, I'd assume mephedrone is not as cheap. If made illegal i don't think you'd see much mephedrone on the street (except maybe stuff that was bought while still legal...which would quickly run out).

Those who make huge profits from drugs want to maximise profits. If mcpp has a much higher profit margin than mephedrone, then it just wouldn't make any business sense to be distributing mephedrone when you could be distributing mcpp.

I'd rather run the risk of thickening my heart valves and turning into a smurph than take those horrible horrible mcpp pills. I'd say meph is cheap enough to synthesise given the price it's selling for on line. Once it's illegal and it's cut to bits by dealers it will be just as bad as all the repress coke going around that everyone thinks is brilliant cos "it's off the rock man"

• Advertisement

vinylmesh wrote: »
    In terms of production costs. mcpp is apparently dirt cheap to synthesise, I'd assume mephedrone is not as cheap. If made illegal i don't think you'd see much mephedrone on the street (except maybe stuff that was bought while still legal...which would quickly run out).

Those who make huge profits from drugs want to maximise profits. If mcpp has a much higher profit margin than mephedrone, then it just wouldn't make any business sense to be distributing mephedrone when you could be distributing mcpp.

Ah I see what you mean now. I think Vertigo100 is right. I think it's probably just as cheap and far more abusable. The ban wouldn't affect the producers since they're all outside the country. I reckon meph will kill the bk's and go straight to the black market although I wish it wouldn't.

Yeah it has a high risk of being abused as it's very fiendish and I have struggled to keep it at 1 gram in a session. My last order of it arrived on Monday and I won't be buying amymore for the foreseeable future. If it hits the black market I wouldn't touch it. It's bad enough as is without mixing all kinds of cuts into the fray as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I'm no conservative housewife, Im a 26 year old male, and have dabbled quite a bit over the past few months with legal highs. It's really opened my eyes though. Most of this shit needs to be banned ASAP.

The head shops are unapologetically pushing absolute poison on the kids (HUGE use amongst teenagers, whom they only stopped serving after the RTE program) of this generation. I'm actually sick of the liberal claptrap that chimes out whenever head shops are brought up. "Your choice... not hurting anyone... yada yada yada". If the people of this country have proven anything over the years; it's that they cannot partake of "legal" substances responsibly. Just accept it FFS; absolute political intervention is now required in this area.

The reasons they should be unequivocally put out of business - many as they are - include the fact that it's fairly tricky for a morally-bereft 18+ adult to publicly hand over 2 crates of dutch gold to a fifteen year old for himself and his mates. It's not so tough to hand him 5 or 6 grams of snow. For adults; The "bath salts" phenomenon is becoming a serious problem in this country, the issue is no longer predominantly about whether you should be able to smoke fake weed or salvia.

Three friends of mine are actually properly addicted to snow. They're spending every penny they earn on it, doing it 5/6 nights a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

consultech wrote: »
    The head shops are unapologetically pushing absolute poison on the kids (HUGE use amongst teenagers, whom they only stopped serving after the RTE program) of this generation. I'm actually sick of the liberal claptrap that chimes out whenever head shops are brought up. "Your choice... not hurting anyone... yada yada yada". If the people of this country have proven anything over the years; it's that they cannot partake of "legal" substances responsibly. Just accept it FFS; absolute political intervention is now required in this area.

So true, so true. People don't go out to drink & enjoy themselves here. They go out to get totally smashed. We as a nation have no idea how to enjoy ourselves. We only know how to destroy ourselves & we think it's great when we can't remember the night before.

It's the same with drugs or herbals (legal highs). All these muppets are going in & buying several packs of pills & lobbing the whole lot down in one night. If you read the instructions most pills say not to double drop. What's the 1st thing these muppets do? You guessed it.

You are also advised not to take alcohol or mix with other drugs/herbals etc. What's the 1st thing most of these muppets do? You guessed it

This is why it will all disappear very soon & rightly so. I've had my fun with them but it didn't last for long as they take ages to wear off or at least return to normal. They are potent at the best of times & need to be used responsibly.

Unfortunately the Irish culture is, get destroyed, take as much as you can in the shortest time possible. If it doesn't work out or if one of your mates die, blame the shop who sold them! Like the old saying, "It's all fun & games until someone gets hurt"

It's just such a pity we're so backward :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm no conservative housewife, Im a 26 year old male, and have dabbled quite a bit over the past few months with legal highs. It's really opened my eyes though. Most of this shit needs to be banned ASAP.
    Oh you've dabbled and now your back from the dark side to warn every one so they don'#t go down the same path. The drugs from these headshops are pure and utter shyte they're week and pathetic but they've opened up a new market to people that wouldn't normally try or be able to handle drugs and these people are freaking out and blowing everything out of proportion.
    The head shops are unapologetically pushing absolute poison on the kids (HUGE use amongst teenagers, whom they only stopped serving after the RTE program) of this generation.
    I don't go to headshops that often but when I have, I've never seen kids in or near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

To those responsible enough & who like legal highs I say - go ahead knoock yoursleves out, to those who dont like legal highs I say - don't use them.
    If under 18's are buying/using them then THAT should be an issue for the gaurds. Simple as that. Same as alcohol. This thread is boring, there was another thread a while ago called 'ban everything' maybe this one should be merged with it, why do people always feel a need to ban something where there is not unanimous agreement on it.

Personally I dont give a sh1te either way, but I think people should have options (...without having to break the law)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

i like a bit of the smokeables from the headshops, (wouldn't try pills or powder, not my scene) and i frequent two of the busier ones. I have never seen any children being served, and i have actually seen many being turned away from the premises. and even if children get their hands on this stuff, as they no doubt can one way or the other, they can still get all the cigarettes and beer they want in other shops. but i seriously doubt miriam o'callaghan and joe duffy would give any of those people the time of day if they were to ask for tobacco or alcohol to be banned. i think the government is deliberately blowing all of this headshop business out of proportion to keep our eyes off the other shyte that they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Jim McDaid was on newstalk just before 1 and he said that banning legal highs could be a major mistake. He thinks it would just put the business back in the hands of the criminal dealers where the government have absolutely no control over this stuff whatsoever. He said that it backfired in the past, and it will happen this time round too.

Legalisation of currently banned drugs was also discussed as a possible option to look into at a europe wide level.

Interesting!

Shulgin wrote: »
    Jim McDaid was on newstalk just before 1 and he said that banning legal highs could be a major mistake. He thinks it would just put the business back in the hands of the criminal dealers where the government have absolutely no control over this stuff whatsoever. He said that it backfired in the past, and it will happen this time round too.

Legalisation of currently banned drugs was also discussed as a possible option to look into at a europe wide level.

Interesting!

Is McDaid in or out of FF? Probably still out. He makes sense but it's a bit off message. I doubt even regulation is a runner. How do you regulate products that are sold as something they're not for the precise purpose of evading regulation. He's on liveline now btw.

Shulgin wrote: »

Why would it have to be at a Europe wide level ? Across Europe there is a wide range of drug policies. In some countries "soft" drugs are to all intents and purposes practically legal. While other countries have policies even more repressive than in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

lookinbusy wrote: »
    To those responsible enough & who like legal highs I say - go ahead knoock yoursleves out, to those who dont like legal highs I say - don't use them.
    If under 18's are buying/using them then THAT should be an issue for the gaurds. Simple as that. Same as alcohol. This thread is boring, there was another thread a while ago called 'ban everything' maybe this one should be merged with it, why do people always feel a need to ban something where there is not unanimous agreement on it.

Personally I dont give a sh1te either way, but I think people should have options (...without having to break the law)

what he said...

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Why would it have to be at a Europe wide level ? Across Europe there is a wide range of drug policies. In some countries "soft" drugs are to all intents and purposes practically legal. While other countries have policies even more repressive than in Ireland.

Yeah, thats true. I think he was asked about the whole drug tourism issue if Ireland was to legalise some drugs. He reckoned it would have to be a europe wide thing to prevent this. Or something :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Ciaran187

Whatever about "head shops" I was in the Banana Tree yesterday and saw a glass case full of pipes, bongs, gauze screens etc. Taped to the back wall were massive plastic bags of "tobacco" for about €7 or so.

They were labeled Red Seal. Makes no attempt to hide the fact that it's a legal high. Just wondering what the craic is with this? Haven't seen it mentioned in the thread.

Ciaran187 wrote: »
    Makes no attempt to hide the fact that it's a legal high. Just wondering what the craic is with this?

If its legal why would they want to hide it ?

Do pubs make any attempt to hide the fact that they sell alcohol ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just wondering what the craic is with this? Haven't seen it mentioned in the thread.
    Dunno what you mean, that specifically banana tree was not mentioned or "normal shops". I have asked numerous times if anybody came across a proposed legal definition of "headshop", I said before if it has drug paraphernalia then most supermarkets & newsagents fall under that definition. If it is a shop selling psychoactive drugs then again supermarkets, newsagents, coffeeshops, sweetshops, woodies etc fall under it.

Its as laughable as the minister lad saying he wants to ban all "party pills", with no definition, or the banheadshops facebook page. None will put down a definition and I know full well the reason why -they would appear ridiculously hypocritical if they were to do so, since it would have to have crazy stipulations in the definitions so it would look like a self-parody, like something out of southpark.

Headshop -any shop selling psychoactive drugs that you cannot imagine mammy, the local garda, or the local granny knitting circle using. All the rest are banned mmm'kay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Whatever about "head shops" I was in the Banana Tree yesterday and saw a glass case full of pipes, bongs, gauze screens etc. Taped to the back wall were massive plastic bags of "tobacco" for about €7 or so.

They were labeled Red Seal. Makes no attempt to hide the fact that it's a legal high. Just wondering what the craic is with this? Haven't seen it mentioned in the thread.

I would reckon that just like the pipes, bongs and all the knick knacks banana republic sell this tobacco is crap and a toal waste of money, But I still think you should buy it and write a report!

I'm currently involved in a community thingamajigger regarding headshops and legal highs...

What exactly are the legalities surrounding the importing of mephedrone, does anyone know? Am I right in assuming it is a ketone? To that effect, is there anything illegal about having it posted to you, or say driving it over the border via ferry from UK etc?

Cheers to anyone who can help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm currently involved in a community thingamajigger regarding headshops and legal highs...

When you say a community thing, what do you mean. A community action of some sort to try get your local headshop closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

The reasons they should be unequivocally put out of business - many as they are - include the fact that it's fairly tricky for a morally-bereft 18+ adult to publicly hand over 2 crates of dutch gold to a fifteen year old for himself and his mates. It's not so tough to hand him 5 or 6 grams of snow. For adults; The "bath salts" phenomenon is becoming a serious problem in this country, the issue is no longer predominantly about whether you should be able to smoke fake weed or salvia.

Three friends of mine are actually properly addicted to snow. They're spending every penny they earn on it, doing it 5/6 nights a week.

People do drugs. Some people get addicted. Morally outraged person gets upset. SURPRISE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DACUS

Hey, I just woke up after a few hours spent in Emergency Room of Jameson Hospital, last night..very deserved, in fact.
    This happened Saturday night cause I took two “legal-pills “ purchased from NIRVANA SHOP, it is called LIME SENSATIONS ( MINT MANIA ) anyway I understood that they are kind of egal-ecstasies.
    I searched the web, about unwanted’ side effects ‘and have not really found anything conclusive, so I thought to tell people what affect it had on my body.
    For the beginning I would like to remove the question of "Why did you get it’ for the deed that is already consumed, and YES, I know it would be very wrong to answer '" I took it because it's LEGAL ""..it is,anyway.,my discussions here are the effects, and finally the factors,
    I think the effects of a drug on the human body depend on the state's health and in my case I do not remember to have had bad health problems, I think I'm healthy enough and I do my best to keep it.
    The first pill (Lime Sensations) I took a Friday evening, I think 1st effect appeared after about 2 hours and 3 beers Corona. I can not say that I felt bad, we continued the party to end, a total of 7 beers Corona.
    We came home and after several discussions with friends I realized that I can not speak coherently at all and can not finish my sentence, forget what I say from the beginning, and confused
    Towards morning, after a half a glass of wine, I took the 2nd pill( Lime Sensations )
    I felt it after approx one hour. My friends left home, and then I start feeling the effects. First vomiting ,and then I had the impression that I’m close to make a heart attack and was in an advanced state of panic, heart palpitation just began. then standing in the living room my whole body started shaking out of control, I control at all for about 10 min. this really scared the hell out of me.
    After the intensity of shaking was calmer, then I sat on the sofa trembling, stand like a rock, but at the same time very paranoid, the next effects were: loss of concentration and short term memory, which still have left traces on my brain.

So, for the next seven hours I stood motionless with eyes just lost not able to do and think nothing, took me 2 hours to send a message to somebody. Then I came a little to reality and I decided I should move to the bedroom, I lay in bed and I continued to look blank for a half hour.
    What ended this state was when I tried to relax to get some sleep, my whole body started shaking out of control, and only then I realized what actually is happening to me. Anyway I was not not able to take a decision and didn’t now what to do,at all !!
    . So I called the Nirvana shop, and I explained the symptoms and, I asked them, what they think should I do? Their advice was "Relax, sleep and you'll be all ok! Not worry! Then they said that those pills ‘‘ARE NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION "".:)))))))
    So ,they do not really helped me, I could not stop shaking, I’ve searched ''Help Line “' on Google http://www.na-ireland.org/contact/helplines/, I called and talked to a lady who had the patience to listen my symptoms and give me some advice what to do next, checking me by phone every half an hour after. Thank you! You’ve been very helpful and I appreciated.
    I should mention that I was in a state where I no longer managed to speak loud, at all and take so long to speak a word.
    I am finally in the emergency room, of course, led by my friends! And after just 15 minutes I was taken in, and followed a few tests and analysis, I was held 5 hours there and then I was free to go home. Testes of blood and liver function came out ok.
    I still have small problems concentrating and speaking, I shake my hands sometimes, a reaction that I can not control, that to the delight of my friends, are amused by it.:)) I thank them for their help.
    It was not an experience I want to repeat ever!
    So, YOU think TWICE before you swallow something and always read the package very carefully, most important: to stay away from them!
    My conclusion is that this DRUG (Poisons), which is sold LEGAL, is extraordinarily powerful and they can do a big hole in your health and life, and most important they can brain damage u, even without an over dose.
    They are sold legal, only for the simple fact that they have a message printed on the back package (saying Not for Human Consumption)???? Have you ever seen the drawings on their packaging? Exactly, PEOPLE are drawn to it! no ?
    TO finish, I express my desire to stop these drugs (poisons) ever to be sold on the market.. But probably are already many who want the same thing. .. I'm sorry for delay; it seems that it took some time to convince myself.I am curious to know if anyone has ever sued these shops? If yes, for what reason and what was the sentence? PLEASE write me back if you have any information about it !
    THANK YOU to those who had the patience to read this, if it was someone!:)
    And THANK YOU to the nurse and the doctor from ER. !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I'd need to be on drugs to understand that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

DACUS wrote: »
    they can do a big hole in your health and life

I hate when that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I took some legal highs on friday and am just getting over them now, the recommended dose is 1 or 2, I said feck it, they're legal so I had about 12. Well I was getting sick all day yesterday, could eat feck all, stayed in bed all day, wicked headache off it. My throat is still raw from puking up bile all day yesterday, it was disgusting.

I was thinking of going to ER but I hear it is overwhelmed with people abusing this drug anyway, and they are not simply coming down off it, they are in full effect going mental.

I rang the headshop I got them from, O'Briens, the lad just fu*king laughed at me asking for advice, said just drink water and go to bed. Should be banned, I will never touch them again -well until next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Lizzzard

The following is up on the Herald site today, a load of utter shtie if you ask me, just jumping on the media bandwagon surrounding head shops and legal highs at the moment, seemingly without ANY research done on the subject. The reporter got a phone call from his friend who thought he was dead, after taking legal highs,

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/theres-nothing-natural-about-head-shops-and-legal-highs-2050052.html

I got a rather frightening call one night in the wee hours from an old friend.

He wanted to know if he was dead.

It took me a while to make sense of what he was saying, but the gist of the story was this: he'd wandered past a shop, stopped, backed up and looked in, curious. The window was filled with bright glass globes, pipes, cigarette papers and eye-catching pictures.

It was a head shop. Looked innocent enough -- fun even.

He's no druggie. He probably hasn't even inhaled as much as Bill Clinton.

He went in for a wander and noticed all the little packets and sachets on sale under a banner proclaiming 'legal highs'.

Legal highs? he asked.

"Perfectly legal and natural," the shopkeeper explained, recommending a ready-rolled 'herbal' for less than the price of a pint.

My friend looked at the 'rollie'. Sure, what harm could it do? After all, it wouldn't be legal if it was harmful, surely?

Legal means lawful, implies sanctioned. But hold on, he argued with himself. Glue is legal, isn't it? And glue melts the brains of idiot teenagers who sniff it.

But glue isn't sold for the purpose of inhaling or ingesting. This little item between our hero's thumb and forefinger now is sold solely for the purpose of lighting up and enjoying.

He lit it, took a few drags -- and so began a nightmare that lasted hours. It was, he said, the way acid trips in the 70s had been described to him. His eyes bulged, he sweated bullets and felt like he was on a rollercoaster. His heart felt like a freight train in his chest and he was pinned to his chair. The fact is, most of these products aren't very natural at all.

Think how attractive these places are to 15-year-olds. Not good. Neither is the argument that by closing these places down you drive these products underground into the hands of criminals.

Good. Because being lifted by the law might be a better deterrent to putting some of the crap on sale in these shops into your body.

Bright colours and cool music are no deterrent at all.

- David Diebold

OK, so David's friend wanted to know if he was dead. REALLY???? DEAD??? After a pre rolled legal high????

REALLY???????? His friend might be mentally ill or on medication? David didn't say what the circumstances were, had his friend been drinking in the pub ALL DAY, like so many Irish people do?? It's a very strong possibility. And when mixed with what he smoked, it may have had an adverse affect.

"The window was filled with bright glass globes, pipes, cigarette papers and eye-catching pictures."

Most retail shops in the world normally display what they sell in their windows, with "eye-catching pics" to attract your custom, what's different here? Doesn't everyone have a choice whether they enter a shop or not? The pics don't hypnotize you, although I bet David would love to write that they do. Maybe he did and then deleted it realising that he could as he had done no research into what he was writing about.

You could argue that if head shops were asked to remove these "eye-catching pics" as not to attract young people, then restaurants would be asked to remove pics of food from their windows, so as not to attract fat bastrads who may suffer from high cholestrol and suffer a heart attack and die. After all, food looks, "innocent enough". Especially to fat people.

"After all, it wouldn't be legal if it was harmful, surely?"

Emmmmmmmmm.......................................alcohol is legal, right?

And isn't alcohol also the DIRECT cause of thousands suffering from liver failures and mental health issues in Ireland alone??

Oh, and don't forget cigarettes. I heard they're bad too.

"It was, he said, the way acid trips in the 70s had been described to him."

(In all honesty, when I was reading this article, I really wanted to punch the screen at this stage.)

You can youtube videos of people on acid if you really want to see what effects it has on people. I can guarantee that David's friend was talking complete and utter bullsiht and completely over exaggerating the situation as this feeling was something totally new to him, and it felt weird.

Most of the time a new experience will feel weird, whether it be with drugs or not. People deal with it in different ways as we are all individuals.

"Think how attractive these places are to 15-year-olds"

Good thing you have to be at least 18 to buy these products then, isn't it!?

"Bright colours and cool music are no deterrent at all"

I don't see where this fits into your argument?? Do you know what people do or where they go when they take these legal highs?? NO. So shut the fcuk up!!!

Did it take you long to think of your closing statement? Probably not seeing as there is verbal diarrhea, flowing out of your mouth.

I don't take legal highs, nor would I. My friends do and I see nothing wrong with their choices. If they have a bad experience on them it's not like anyone forced them to take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Hey, I just woke up after a few hours spent in Emergency Room of Jameson Hospital, last night..very deserved, in fact.
    This happened Saturday night cause I took two “legal-pills “ purchased from NIRVANA SHOP, it is called LIME SENSATIONS ( MINT MANIA ) anyway I understood that they are kind of egal-ecstasies.
    I searched the web, about unwanted’ side effects ‘and have not really found anything conclusive, so I thought to tell people what affect it had on my body.
    For the beginning I would like to remove the question of "Why did you get it’ for the deed that is already consumed, and YES, I know it would be very wrong to answer '" I took it because it's LEGAL ""..it is,anyway.,my discussions here are the effects, and finally the factors,
    I think the effects of a drug on the human body depend on the state's health and in my case I do not remember to have had bad health problems, I think I'm healthy enough and I do my best to keep it.
    The first pill (Lime Sensations) I took a Friday evening, I think 1st effect appeared after about 2 hours and 3 beers Corona. I can not say that I felt bad, we continued the party to end, a total of 7 beers Corona.
    We came home and after several discussions with friends I realized that I can not speak coherently at all and can not finish my sentence, forget what I say from the beginning, and confused
    Towards morning, after a half a glass of wine, I took the 2nd pill( Lime Sensations )
    I felt it after approx one hour. My friends left home, and then I start feeling the effects. First vomiting ,and then I had the impression that I’m close to make a heart attack and was in an advanced state of panic, heart palpitation just began. then standing in the living room my whole body started shaking out of control, I control at all for about 10 min. this really scared the hell out of me.
    After the intensity of shaking was calmer, then I sat on the sofa trembling, stand like a rock, but at the same time very paranoid, the next effects were: loss of concentration and short term memory, which still have left traces on my brain.

So, for the next seven hours I stood motionless with eyes just lost not able to do and think nothing, took me 2 hours to send a message to somebody. Then I came a little to reality and I decided I should move to the bedroom, I lay in bed and I continued to look blank for a half hour.
    What ended this state was when I tried to relax to get some sleep, my whole body started shaking out of control, and only then I realized what actually is happening to me. Anyway I was not not able to take a decision and didn’t now what to do,at all !!
    . So I called the Nirvana shop, and I explained the symptoms and, I asked them, what they think should I do? Their advice was "Relax, sleep and you'll be all ok! Not worry! Then they said that those pills ‘‘ARE NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION "".:)))))))
    So ,they do not really helped me, I could not stop shaking, I’ve searched ''Help Line “' on Google http://www.na-ireland.org/contact/helplines/, I called and talked to a lady who had the patience to listen my symptoms and give me some advice what to do next, checking me by phone every half an hour after. Thank you! You’ve been very helpful and I appreciated.
    I should mention that I was in a state where I no longer managed to speak loud, at all and take so long to speak a word.
    I am finally in the emergency room, of course, led by my friends! And after just 15 minutes I was taken in, and followed a few tests and analysis, I was held 5 hours there and then I was free to go home. Testes of blood and liver function came out ok.
    I still have small problems concentrating and speaking, I shake my hands sometimes, a reaction that I can not control, that to the delight of my friends, are amused by it.:)) I thank them for their help.
    So, YOU think TWICE before you swallow something and always read the package very carefully, most important: to stay away from them!
    My conclusion is that this DRUG (Poisons), which is sold LEGAL, is extraordinarily powerful and they can do a big hole in your health and life, and most important they can brain damage u, even without an over dose.
    They are sold legal, only for the simple fact that they have a message printed on the back package (saying Not for Human Consumption)???? Have you ever seen the drawings on their packaging? Exactly, PEOPLE are drawn to it! no ?
    TO finish, I express my desire to stop these drugs (poisons) ever to be sold on the market.. But probably are already many who want the same thing. .. I'm sorry for delay; it seems that it took some time to convince myself.

Myself and a few friends took the same pills last week. One each was all that was needed and, personally, it was one of the best nights out I've had in a long while. We had been drinking for several hours beforehand but switched to water after the pills started to take effect as we noticed we were getting fairly dehydrated. The pills effects lasted for several hours and after some rest and a couple cups of tea, we sobered up and were ready for college the next morning, if a little tired.

All drugs, be they legal or otherwise, can affect people in different ways and what we do after taking them also has an effect on the overall experience. When trying something new, use common sense and take it easy the first time and learn how you're affected by whatever happens to be your new drug of choice, be it alcohol, cannabis, mushrooms, legal highs or whatever else you wish to take.

I don't mean to direct any of this at DACUS, I just wanted to show the other side of the coin here, so to speak.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Dunno what you mean, that specifically banana tree was not mentioned or "normal shops". I have asked numerous times if anybody came across a proposed legal definition of "headshop", I said before if it has drug paraphernalia then most supermarkets & newsagents fall under that definition. If it is a shop selling psychoactive drugs then again supermarkets, newsagents, coffeeshops, sweetshops, woodies etc fall under it.

Its as laughable as the minister lad saying he wants to ban all "party pills", with no definition, or the banheadshops facebook page. None will put down a definition and I know full well the reason why -they would appear ridiculously hypocritical if they were to do so, since it would have to have crazy stipulations in the definitions so it would look like a self-parody, like something out of southpark.

Headshop -any shop selling psychoactive drugs that you cannot imagine mammy, the local garda, or the local granny knitting circle using. All the rest are banned mmm'kay.

+1

This certainly seems to be an area that is almost impossible to regulate tbh, will be interesting to see what the powers that be come up with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 elsa14

TO finish, I express my desire to stop these drugs (poisons) ever to be sold on the market.. But probably are already many who want the same thing. .. I'm sorry for delay; it seems that it took some time to convince myself.

K, Dacus.....
    I think there is a perfect time and place, for anything in this world....
    It wasn't the right party for this and i'm pretty sure about it.... And.... by the way.... your "shaking hands" will always amuse me and i still think u might fly away..... disappearing in the sky....It's called " The butterfly effect"............ =))))))

rubadub wrote: »
    I took some legal highs on friday and am just getting over them now, the recommended dose is 1 or 2, I said feck it, they're legal so I had about 12.

I would suggest you stay away from paracetomol :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

some of these "horror stories" sound made up tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭captainjack

Lizzzard wrote: »
    The following is up on the Herald site today, a load of utter shtie if you ask me, just jumping on the media bandwagon surrounding head shops and legal highs at the moment, seemingly without ANY research done on the subject. The reporter got a phone call from his friend who thought he was dead, after taking legal highs,

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/theres-nothing-natural-about-head-shops-and-legal-highs-2050052.html

I got a rather frightening call one night in the wee hours from an old friend.

He wanted to know if he was dead.

It took me a while to make sense of what he was saying, but the gist of the story was this: he'd wandered past a shop, stopped, backed up and looked in, curious. The window was filled with bright glass globes, pipes, cigarette papers and eye-catching pictures.

It was a head shop. Looked innocent enough -- fun even.

He's no druggie. He probably hasn't even inhaled as much as Bill Clinton.

He went in for a wander and noticed all the little packets and sachets on sale under a banner proclaiming 'legal highs'.

Legal highs? he asked.

"Perfectly legal and natural," the shopkeeper explained, recommending a ready-rolled 'herbal' for less than the price of a pint.

My friend looked at the 'rollie'. Sure, what harm could it do? After all, it wouldn't be legal if it was harmful, surely?

Legal means lawful, implies sanctioned. But hold on, he argued with himself. Glue is legal, isn't it? And glue melts the brains of idiot teenagers who sniff it.

But glue isn't sold for the purpose of inhaling or ingesting. This little item between our hero's thumb and forefinger now is sold solely for the purpose of lighting up and enjoying.

He lit it, took a few drags -- and so began a nightmare that lasted hours. It was, he said, the way acid trips in the 70s had been described to him. His eyes bulged, he sweated bullets and felt like he was on a rollercoaster. His heart felt like a freight train in his chest and he was pinned to his chair. The fact is, most of these products aren't very natural at all.

Think how attractive these places are to 15-year-olds. Not good. Neither is the argument that by closing these places down you drive these products underground into the hands of criminals.

Good. Because being lifted by the law might be a better deterrent to putting some of the crap on sale in these shops into your body.

Bright colours and cool music are no deterrent at all.

- David Diebold

OK, so David's friend wanted to know if he was dead. REALLY???? DEAD??? After a pre rolled legal high????

REALLY???????? His friend might be mentally ill or on medication? David didn't say what the circumstances were, had his friend been drinking in the pub ALL DAY, like so many Irish people do?? It's a very strong possibility. And when mixed with what he smoked, it may have had an adverse affect.

"The window was filled with bright glass globes, pipes, cigarette papers and eye-catching pictures."

Most retail shops in the world normally display what they sell in their windows, with "eye-catching pics" to attract your custom, what's different here? Doesn't everyone have a choice whether they enter a shop or not? The pics don't hypnotize you, although I bet David would love to write that they do. Maybe he did and then deleted it realising that he could as he had done no research into what he was writing about.

You could argue that if head shops were asked to remove these "eye-catching pics" as not to attract young people, then restaurants would be asked to remove pics of food from their windows, so as not to attract fat bastrads who may suffer from high cholestrol and suffer a heart attack and die. After all, food looks, "innocent enough". Especially to fat people.

"After all, it wouldn't be legal if it was harmful, surely?"

Emmmmmmmmm.......................................alcohol is legal, right?

And isn't alcohol also the DIRECT cause of thousands suffering from liver failures and mental health issues in Ireland alone??

Oh, and don't forget cigarettes. I heard they're bad too.

"It was, he said, the way acid trips in the 70s had been described to him."

(In all honesty, when I was reading this article, I really wanted to punch the screen at this stage.)

You can youtube videos of people on acid if you really want to see what effects it has on people. I can guarantee that David's friend was talking complete and utter bullsiht and completely over exaggerating the situation as this feeling was something totally new to him, and it felt weird.

Most of the time a new experience will feel weird, whether it be with drugs or not. People deal with it in different ways as we are all individuals.

"Think how attractive these places are to 15-year-olds"

Good thing you have to be at least 18 to buy these products then, isn't it!?

"Bright colours and cool music are no deterrent at all"

I don't see where this fits into your argument?? Do you know what people do or where they go when they take these legal highs?? NO. So shut the fcuk up!!!

Did it take you long to think of your closing statement? Probably not seeing as there is verbal diarrhea, flowing out of your mouth.

I don't take legal highs, nor would I. My friends do and I see nothing wrong with their choices. If they have a bad experience on them it's not like anyone forced them to take them.

+1
    I hope David dies. What an ignorant dump-head!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

It was, he said, the way acid trips in the 70s had been described to him. His eyes bulged, he sweated bullets and felt like he was on a rollercoaster. His heart felt like a freight train in his chest and he was pinned to his chair.
    I would pay good money to see this lightweight actually take a hit of real acid.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I would pay good money to see this lightweight actually take a hit of real acid.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I think he'd have had a much more pleasant experience on acid. Acid is different, there's no if's or but's and wondering what's happening. It sends you on a trip.

What exactly are the legalities surrounding the importing of mephedrone, does anyone know? Am I right in assuming it is a ketone? To that effect, is there anything illegal about having it posted to you, or say driving it over the border via ferry from UK etc?

Anyone got any thoughts on my question above?

Cheers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Where's the Jameson Hospital??????????

Anyone got any thoughts on my question above?

Cheers.

As far as its not being imported and sold for human consumption then its 100% not illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Gimme a second here... this is a single, pre-rolled joint, presumably for around a fiver... and he felt like he was on acid on a rollercoaster?

WHERE CAN I BUY THIS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

xzanti wrote: »
    Where's the Jameson Hospital??????????

Round my house most Sunday mornings. :(

A high dose of some of the synthetic cannabonoids, particularly JWH-018 can be quite trippy. I had a little bit too much "Skunk, a new breed of weed" one night from a vapouriser and it blew the head off me. I was in pretty uncomfortable state for 45mins or so.

If I hadn`t previous experience with mushrooms,lsd,2c-e, or even strong weed then I could have been very freaked out.

People go completely ott on this stuff just because its legal.

Karlusss wrote: »
    Gimme a second here... this is a single, pre-rolled joint, presumably for around a fiver... and he felt like he was on acid on a rollercoaster?

WHERE CAN I BUY THIS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

just tried some Smoke Plus. f*ck that stuff is strong.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement