Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal Highs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Pat Sheen wrote: »
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you're wrong. :D How many headshops do you reckon there are worldwide? Maybe thousands? I'd guess a hell of a lot of those regularly posting at that site are in the legal highs game. If you're gonna use DF as a source of info have your bullshyt filter turned all the way up. Personally I find it dull as ditchwater. And btw I don't think amateur chemists are involved in this, it's too big.
    Yes, but when people post positive experiences of the blends who have been on the forums for years, with THOUSAND of posts, most of them about other aspects of their social/personal lives and drug use, I think we can safely assume...

...should I really go on? The point is beyond absurd. Their are real people out their like me who have found these blends, smoked them, puked on 'em, and decided to post about it online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Pat Sheen

The point is beyond absurd. Their are real people out their like me who have found these blends, smoked them, puked on 'em, and decided to post about it online.

No doubt. And likewise there are interested parties. I find DF biased and unobjective. Btw I assume nothing about the reality of pseudonymous internet users. It's the first rule of safe internet use. Didn't yer mammy teach you that? You better switch on that cyber-patrol. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

vinylmesh wrote: »
    That's a bit unsettling. I'm feeling glad i only tried them a few times. imo they should be avoided untill more is known about their safety.

Alot of the legal stuff is more damaging than illegal stuff.
    The chief executive of the U.K. Medical Research Council stated that MDMA is "on the bottom of the scale of harm", and was rated to be of lesser concern than alcohol, tobacco, as well as several classes of prescription medications

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDMA#Harm_assessment

The term 'legal highs' is dangerous imho because people assume that just because legislation doesn't exist to control it that the substance is safe, and they tend to abuse it more than they would with the illegal stuff

Pat Sheen wrote: »
    No doubt. And likewise there are interested parties. I find DF biased and unobjective. Btw I assume nothing about the reality of pseudonymous internet users. It's the first rule of safe internet use. Didn't yer mammy teach you that? You better switch on that cyber-patrol. ;)
    I assume nothing either, but mother was a smart lass and taught me that two dozen or so people with over four thousand posts from before worthwhile legal smoking blends even existed dont spend time and effort making said four thousand posts and creating, within those said four thousand posts, alternate realities of themselves just to advertise their product to a small forum microcosm. A microcosm that would surely report back if the blends were duds, thus ending the poor advertising attempt. Unless your putting foward the theory that the ENTIRE forum is an advertising ploy? Or indeed the dozens of other forums that exist for the discussion of afformentioned subject matter?

Sure the forum has it's fair share of one post wonders who get promptly banned, but they are in the teeniest, tinniest of minorities. None of the regular members are spammers. I know quiet a lot of them. Heck, I have quiet a few of the cannabinoid posters on MSN. Unless the MSN profiles, general chit chat, and profile pictures are also also completely fake people who exist soley as part of a greater advertising scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭seXmym0nkey

Hey, seeing as how the smoking ban is on tobacco, couldn't somebody open a "coffee shop" of sorts where people could smoke these legal highs? That would make quite a bit of money I reckon...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

Hey, seeing as how the smoking ban is on tobacco, couldn't somebody open a "coffee shop" of sorts where people could smoke these legal highs? That would make quite a bit of money I reckon...:pac:
    Nah I'm pretty sure that the smoking ban is on Smoking, not just smoking Tobacco... I'd say even the government would have noticed that loophole:D

Well any resources I've found say tobacco... Somebody should look into that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

theres a smoking ban in amsterdam so they smoke them pure weed in the coffee shops over there!!!

browner85 wrote: »
    theres a smoking ban in amsterdam so they smoke them pure weed in the coffee shops over there!!!

Exactly, thats what gave me the idea..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ladyofthelake

Is it possible to purchase this stuff from overseas over the internet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Dave! wrote: »
    Ever been in love, OP? Now there's a legal high to tell your friends about!

Jesus that's the gayest thing i ever read in my life. Oh and he's mod of the Non drinkers club, quelle surprise!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

A lot of these legal highs are only legal to sell and purchase when they're labeled as 'not fit for human consumption.' I think getting intoxicated on them is actually illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Keogg wrote: »
    Nah I'm pretty sure that the smoking ban is on Smoking, not just smoking Tobacco... I'd say even the government would have noticed that loophole:D
    No just tobacco. They say it's funny when there's a raid these days, the police come up to you smoking a spliff and say "that better be all weed your smoking in that spliff?".

Some places still let you put tobacco in the spliffs as long as your discreet about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

ScumLord wrote: »
    No just tobacco. They say it's funny when there's a raid these days, the police come up to you smoking a spliff and say "that better be all weed your smoking in that spliff?".

Some places still let you put tobacco in the spliffs as long as your discreet about it.

I think he meat in Ireland.

The whole situation is a bit funny in Amsterdam though. I was reading an article about it recently that said the police send around (human)! sniffers that are trained to identify the smell of tobacco amidst all the smoke from the weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Worth checking out:
    Can I Get High Legally, BBC

You can find it online easily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Aire

There's someone selling Charge around town that is fake - gives you a serious trip, body and soul. Same little bag as the real stuff, but the powder is brown not white. Made my friend serious paranoid, really serious. In hospital serious. You have been warned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Aire wrote: »
    There's someone selling Charge around town that is fake - gives you a serious trip, body and soul. Same little bag as the real stuff, but the powder is brown not white. Made my friend serious paranoid, really serious. In hospital serious. You have been warned.

Do you mean it's been sold in a shop or by a randomer on the streets?

Why would anyone buy a 'legal' high of someone on the street in the first place..? =/

Even the real Charge is horrible stuff, so is all the other stuff available in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aire

I think he must have got it on the street, he's really not able to give an answer, in a bad way still and that's since Friday night. Says it was Charge and had a bag of it in his pocket still, but it is the wrong colour. Don't know anything more, wating for him to get better. Keep an eye out for a brown version, it is lethal.

That sounds strange. Why would anybody try selling illegal drugs as legal drugs? Did he really get sent to the hospital? How come they didn't take the packet off him and test it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

u smoke weed but dont want it legalised?...freak

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sordino

Swim had SMOKE XXX from Nirvana last night.

Very, very paranoid trippy experience in which Swim feared for his grasp on reality.

Not at all pleasant.

Was obviously an unusual reaction, but if you are not an experienced smoker BE WARNED.

For Swim this was the most intense and negative experience he has had from smoking any kind of drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

sordino wrote: »

For Swim this was the most intense and negative experience he has had from smoking any kind of drug.

If Swim can't handle that stuff, I advise he stays away from Salvia.:pac:

Very, very paranoid trippy experience in which Swim feared for his grasp on reality.

Not at all pleasant.

Was obviously an unusual reaction, but if you are not an experienced smoker BE WARNED.

Try smoking small amounts at a time. Most of my crowd actualy buy the pre rolled spliffs and break it into three seperate joints.

Dont worry, your not loosing the plot or anything. First time I gave Spice Gold a bash I murdered half a gram in a bong and spent the next twenty minuets shouting out items in the argos catalogue before pacing up and down deciding should I call an ambulance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That sounds strange. Why would anybody try selling illegal drugs as legal drugs?
    Nobody said it was illegal. But if it was then illegal drugs can be cheaper than the legal substitutes, e.g. E, and many people still simplify drug laws down to "if its illegal it must be harmful, and if its legal it must be fine". So many people would make a return visit to a shop selling real mdma as a legal high, they would enjoy the high much better than any of the party pills they sell, and the sellers might be able to source mdma cheaper than the party pills.

Then conversely on the street I would suspect many dealers are selling legal highs as illegal, this is to get people with the other logic "if its illegal it mus be great, and if its legal it must be crap". If this dealer is caught by the cops he has a legal substance on him.

I wonder what would happen to headshops "unknowingly" selling illegal drugs. I have seen several who did in the past and could well have be ignorant to the fact it was illegal. I wonder if they could claim the party pills were "contaminated" and they thought they were selling legal products, it would be the same as if paracetamol contaminated with mdma made it into tesco shops, I doubt tesco would be prosecuted to the same degree as if they knowingly sold it.

I expect many legal highs might have "unpublished analogues" in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

I doubt any of these smoking mixes will be legal for much longer as most (smoke, spice, pulse etc) contain JWH-018.

This has already been banned in Germany, France and many other European countries.
    In addition this is due to be made illegal in the UK when parliament return after Summer recess in October.

As Ireland always follows what the UK does (Magic Mushrooms for example) I'd expect to see these made illegal here by the end of the year as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spice_(drug)#United_Kingdom

Unless of course we use the increased legal drug sales to get us out of the recession :pac:

What is coming into effect in the UK, and what is likely to come into effect here, is a blanket analogue ban. That is, any chemical attempting to replicate the effects of traditional Cannabis would be banned, which would close the loophole. Otherwise things could go on forever. There are thousands of different Cannabinoids out their waiting to be synthesized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭_Arctic_

Not at all pleasant.

Seriously? SWIM has done Smoke XXX (or what the local head shop called Smoke XXX) and it had only mild effects on him. I suppose thats the danger with legal highs. Its like a cocktail of plants and herbs and we dont really know what goes into them. SWIM certainly wont be buying that stuff from Nirvana anyway.

I kid you not.

Swim has had plenty of other types of weed etc over the years. Mild paranoia at worst. This was in a different league. A trip he wouldn't wish on his worst enemy. It only seems to hit a small number of people, so smoke it at your peril:

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158951

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I really enjoy JWH-018 but not a lot is known about it, and I'm worried it may be metabolised in such a way that it interferes with the contraceptive pill. I also don't know the long term effects, and it does give a hangover.

AFAIK it's not a cannabinoid, so it wouldn't be affected by a blanket ban on cannabinoids. It's just an agonist at cannabinoid receptors, but so many things could be CB agonists.

I would also warn people that it hits you about twenty minutes after you smoke it, which makes it easy to over-do compared to weed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

How much Smoke XXX did you have?

• Advertisement

Swim had three pints of Guinness and a Rum and Coke. A friend of Swim produced a pre-rolled joint. Swim had some idea that it was from a head shop and, in his innocence, thought it would be quite weak. Swim had never tried head shop stuff before.

Swim had a couple of hits (can't fully remember) and around 5 minutes later entered the twilight zone. Very intense paranoia, reality repeating, complete loss of sense of what is real, loss of bodily sensation. Reality jumping in and out in a very disturbing way. Loss of mental control or rationality. Swim felt he might pass out once or twice and was actually hoping he would, because the experience was so terrifying.

Swim had to ask a friend to get him home in a taxi, while being unsure if any of this was really happening. Swim did have panic attacks as a young teenager, but none in over twenty years. This was not a panic attack in the way Swim remembers; more like a type of drug-induced anxiety attack with a serious amount of what Swim's now found out to be called 'Derealisation' (as opposed to 'Depersonalisation'). Heart rate was occasionally off the charts from the sheer terror, but breathing not affected nor any sweating.

Swim has no history of any serious mental illness, either himself or in his family, aside from those few panic attacks as a teenager (which are not uncommon in young adults). Swim has had no class A's, only 'normal' weed and hash the odd time, neither of which have produced effects remotely as strong as these. Effects were so strong that Swim thought he might be dead and living in a dream, or rather nightmare, that was a bridge to the next world. Swim was sobbing in the taxi as he thought that he was actually dead and that he would never see his daughter again. Friend got him in the house and Swim managed to get to bed after he felt he was coming back to some kind of reality.

Entire trip lasted an hour, though for Swim it felt like several hours. Very, very red eyes when he got home. Swim asked his friend the next day what the hell was the name of that stuff and was told it was Smoke XXX from Nirvana. Swim's friend said it was the strongest stuff he's had from a head shop (and he's an experienced smoker). Friend naturally felt bad that he hadn't flagged this stuff as being very strong for an inexperienced smoker. Swim will be staying well clear of any head shop stuff.

Swim is too old for this Sxxx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Sir Molle

Smoke is nice, but it tastes ****ty. I smoked some kind of spice the other day and it had a pretty nice effect too.

SWIM should have been drowned at birth, can't stand reading posts using it non-stop.

An excellent and well-reasoned response there Mod. What was I thinking posting Swims troubles when I could have been reading your recent thoughts on cucumber:

I also hate cucumber and could not eat a sandwich which was touched with it (i.e. can't just take it off, I can still taste it a mile off). I do love gerkins though.

Yes, I can see we're up against a brilliant and insightful mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Who, or what is swim???

(Sorry I joined discussion late :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    Who, or what is swim???

(Sorry I joined discussion late :))

Someone who isn't me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

eightyfish wrote: »
    Someone who isn't me.

Always wondered what that ment, whoever uses that term is gay

Always wondered what that ment, whoever uses that term is gay
    The term is used reasonably on some forums.

Its the idiots who think its "cool" to use this druggie slang ad nauseam that are annoying. Go back and read that post and read it as it is meant, i.e. "someone who isn't me" should be in place everywhere SWIM is. You would sound like a fool talking like that.

I think it's remarkable that someone can face such a hostile response for using a term that is often used on drug forums, and who comes to this forum with a genuine issue.

Aside from that, who are you calling an idiot? Browsing through your many thousands of posts, I am struggling to find even one that is not profoundly dull and uninteresting. From reading about your fascinating aversion to cucumber ("I do love gerkins though"), to the ultra-conservative views expressed in the tale of a homophobic friend who once wore a salmon-coloured shirt and, after you slagged him calling him gay, now doesn't. Brilliant stuff.

As to your reply to my post: "SWIM should have been drowned at birth, can't stand reading posts using it non-stop." Well, I sense anger issues Rubadub. Perhaps you were beaten as a child? Perhaps it was with a cucumber, we'll never know, but one thing is for sure: You've got a lot of anger inside you Rubadub. A lot of pain. Where is the love Rubadub (if that really is your name)?

Where is the love?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭_Arctic_

rubadub wrote: »
    The term is used reasonably on some forums.

Its the idiots who think its "cool" to use this druggie slang ad nauseam that are annoying. Go back and read that post and read it as it is meant, i.e. "someone who isn't me" should be in place everywhere SWIM is. You would sound like a fool talking like that.

Its just a way of talking about illegal drugs on forums while not inplicating yourself into it. Its just a habit, no need to get angry over it. And yes, I realise we arent talking about illegal drugs here. And by the way, nobody says "SWIM" in real life.

Its the idiots who think its "cool" to use this druggie slang ad nauseam that are annoying.

Well he's obviously hardcore. I mean, tripping out on SMOKE XXX....
    Oh wait.. :rolleyes:

Had salvia there on Friday night and I must have done it wrong the previous time because this time I was on a different planet all together. I packed up the bong thinking it was going to be rubbish and kept that thing in until I went under. I wasn't expecting that trip at all. It took me completely by surprise I didn't even realise I was under until I came back, I went up on it so quickly I didn't notice it happening and completely accepted this new reality I was in.

Coming out of it into reality felt weird like I was coming up on something, reality seemed scarier than the trip I was on for about 2 or 3 seconds. It was crazy, crazy stuff. It was the 20x I did and now I'm wondering how the 50x and over can be any more intense than the trip I was on, maybe it lasts longer I don't know but I couldn't possibly go any higher than I was, it was a complete break from reality like being in a dream

I was completely blown away I couldn't believe what happened, I've a new found respect for Salvia now.

Using the term SWIM in a post about Smoke XXX:
    _Arctic_ wrote: »
    Its just a way of talking about illegal drugs on forums while not inplicating yourself into it. Its just a habit, no need to get angry over it. And yes, I realise we arent talking about illegal drugs here. And by the way, nobody says "SWIM" in real life.

Exactly. I posted here to warn inexperienced smokers about a particular drug. That was it.

Since then I've been called 'gay' (not that there's anything wrong with that :D) by Irishpimpdude (how gay is that name). And Rubadub (isn't that from a song about three men in a tub?) has suggested that the poor inexperienced guy who had a very bad trip should have been "drowned at birth".

What a great bunch of guys.

And Rubadub (isn't that from a song about three men in a tub?) has suggested that the poor inexperienced guy who had a very bad trip should have been "drowned at birth".
    No I didn't, try reading it again. And give up the pathetic pretentious psychology, its more sickeningly cringeworthy than your SWIM crap.

10 years ago you never had posts with non-stop SWIM or other bull**** in forums on drugs, there were great forums back then before all the teenage assholes came along, and arseholes thinking they are pablo escobar who "risk incriminating" themselves, as though the FBI have tabs on them or something, don't flatter yourself gobsh!tes. Now you have ignorant assholes recklessly taking stuff leading to bans on these substances. And along with textspeak and writing in capitals, and "swim" some of these sites are now painful to read. So many don't bother anymore and I can't blame them.

Had salvia there on Friday night and I must have done it wrong the previous time because this time I was on a different planet all together. I packed up the bong thinking it was going to be rubbish and kept that thing in until I went under. I wasn't expecting that trip at all. It took me completely by surprise I didn't even realise I was under until I came back, I went up on it so quickly I didn't notice it happening and completely accepted this new reality I was in.

Coming out of it into reality felt weird like I was coming up on something, reality seemed scarier than the trip I was on for about 2 or 3 seconds. It was crazy, crazy stuff. It was the 20x I did and now I'm wondering how the 50x and over can be any more intense than the trip I was on, maybe it lasts longer I don't know but I couldn't possibly go any higher than I was, it was a complete break from reality like being in a dream

I was completely blown away I couldn't believe what happened, I've a new found respect for Salvia now.

Yeah I had a proper salvia trip once and although I thought it was great I don't think I'd ever do it again. I mean it really really ****s you up :p

Always irks me when people are like "Oh man I had a salvia joint I was like, SO high" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

arseholes thinking they are pablo escobar who "risk incriminating" themselves, as though the FBI have tabs on them or something,

Lmao, that's exactly what I was thinking.

10 years ago you never had posts with non-stop SWIM or other bull**** in forums on drugs, there were great forums back then before all the teenage assholes came along, and arseholes thinking they are pablo escobar who "risk incriminating" themselves, as though the FBI have tabs on them or something, don't flatter yourself gobsh!tes.

Yes, it must have been great back there in the good old days before the 'teenage assholes' came along. And do pardon me for thinking you have anger issues of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

DarkJager wrote: »
    The only dodgy smoke product so far is the "Spice Gold". Supposedly has a number of syntethic cannaboids in it. The others like Pulse and Smoke simply use concentrates from plants which are known to have pscyhoactive properties. Thats why they are so potent.

That is the most naive comment i have read in my entire life. Are you working for a headshop or something?

Smoke was specifically tested and found to contain jwh-018. Who knows what the others contain... It is most definitely not herbal.

p.s as a harm reduction measure i would reccomend choosing methylone over mephedrone. I would not go near either myself, but i have heard of lots of fucked up side effects in mephedrone users. One to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Don't really see the logic in people saying you're better off taking Marijuana than Smoke / Spice / Pulse.

Yes we don't know what's in the combinations of legal highs yet we also don't know if the weed you're smoking has been cut with something dangerous unless you're buying from a trusty "source".

Word of advice, on the back of all these legal drugs, it says "not for human consumption", this is so under law it doesn't have to undergo a ingredient or safety test.

On the topic of Salvia, last time I tried it I thought I was a supermarket and I was being attacked by 2 sets of shelves (my 2 friends standing close by), powerful **** for legal stuff.

RMD wrote: »
    Yes we don't know what's in the combinations of legal highs yet we also don't know if the weed you're smoking has been cut with something dangerous unless you're buying from a trusty "source".
    It's unlikely to be mixed with anything though. You can tell just by looking at it and smelling it weather it's going to be good or not. If it looks good it probably is good. There have been buds that have been covered in stuff to make it heavier but that is rare. Unless your talking about soap which is muck as standard it's not hash and has been cut with all sorts. Nobody should buy it and I don't think it really counts.

Weed is also so much better than anything the headshops sell.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement